What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

since they are quite literally the size of said children,

IIRC, you are sooper tall, so isn't almost everyone child-like to you?  :p

Sounds like the opposite problem with what I usually get re: desks/chairs etc (too high, wide, whatever). I also have issues re: mouse usage/shoulder because my short arm wants mice to be "below" the keyboard position, not even with it, so the shoulder/elbow isn't always thrust forward/off the arm-rest to reach/circle with it.  Anyway, I would definitely use books, a small plastic monitor riser thingie, or similar, because you can stack them on the floor/to the side and just use them when you're using it/there and remove them again before you leave, for your less height-endowed co-workers.  😄  Edit: although I suppose if you only sit down for a minute or two at a time, repeatedly all day, that wouldn't work. But other than that...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

IIRC, you are sooper tall, so isn't almost everyone child-like to you?  :p

Sounds like the opposite problem with what I usually get re: desks/chairs etc (too high, wide, whatever). I also have issues re: mouse usage/shoulder because my short arm wants mice to be "below" the keyboard position, not even with it, so the shoulder/elbow isn't always thrust forward/off the arm-rest to reach/circle with it.  Anyway, I would definitely use books, a small plastic monitor riser thingie, or similar, because you can stack them on the floor/to the side and just use them when you're using it/there and remove them again before you leave, for your less height-endowed co-workers.  😄  Edit: although I suppose if you only sit down for a minute or two at a time, repeatedly all day, that wouldn't work. But other than that...

Well, not super tall, I'm like 10 cms above average, so it's not that extreme, my coworkers are ~160cms or 20cms below average so I entirely blame them :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Watching Eurovision

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 hours ago, Gorth said:

Don’t jinx it, don’t order anything “on the rocks” 😝

Ice belongs in the arctics, it’s the natural habitat for it, not in colourful drinks 🍹 

If they don't know how to make my Manhattan "up" then the whole trip will be wasted.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Trying to ignore Eurovision. Although our Billie Eilish wannabe has the most interesting performance I would think.

Well....I think I learned the importance of handwashing from it. :lol:

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

🥺  - if you don't hear from me ever again it's from eating too many of these at once.
...I haven't had my fave cookie ( a real cookie) in forever. Today I couldn't resist. At least it's not a ginormous box. Hubby saw them in the basket and tried to toss them back into an open meat freezer section but I fished them out again.   HAHA.

food-007.jpg

...btw, Wal-Mart's grocery section around here isn't all that much cheaper or particularly impressive in any way (average, name brands) but I was "amused" that their produce selection was fresher and more varied then the local Raley's. Usually Raley's is ok but the one close to our house, it's small and often wilted/not much choices. I'll have to go elsewhere for produce.
...the warm weather is starting. After getting home I'm just sitting near the pool under the patio watching the treetops wave in the breeze. I think I'll remain here a while.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

.. I don't think I've actually watched a Eurovision beyond the occasional highlights that turn  up on the news / newsfeed in about 25-30 years now....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Not sure why they bothered having a vote with Ukraine in it. I liked the French one best.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:20 AM, Hurlsnot said:

You are never going to get the opportunity to die on Mars with that kind of attitude.

In the words of the late, great Norm MacDonald, "Say what you will about Elon Musk. But with his new plan to bring people to Mars, nobody is a more creative serial killer."

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

So, Eurovision turned all politics again?

Didn't see it. Only knew it was there because you guys brought it up. Consider yourself all warned! 😝

Last time I saw Eurovision live was when Abba won with 'Waterloo'

To be fair to me, it was also the only thing showing on the only available (state run) TV channel at the time...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Didn't see it. Only knew it was there because you guys brought it up. Consider yourself all warned! 😝

Last time I saw Eurovision live was when Abba won with 'Waterloo'

To be fair to me, it was also the only thing showing on the only available (state run) TV channel at the time...

Well since you brought it up, no one really cares that Russia was banned and we glad that Ukraine won

Since their country is being devastated by Putins War its a just small " win " for the Ukrainian people and yes politics during time of war does influence basically everything :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

Some of the jury votes were, but not all. The popular vote was pure politics though, with 439 out of a possible 468 points awarded to the Ukrainian entry. Prior to the event our TV hosts this year speculated that Ukraine would win this one even if they just sent nobody and we'd sit in three minutes of silence, and what do you know, three minutes of silence would have been preferable to this year's winning entry.

On the bright side, it's marginally less terrible than 2016's political winning entry which was three minutes of howling. Sorry, I meant so say, a three minute touching ballad that rightly won an apolitical music competition! Sorry, mea culpa.

Not that the competition isn't a joke by far and large anyway, and has been so for a long while. Some years it's just more of a joke than in others. :p

edit: Technically the winning entry should be disqualified by the rules of the ESC due to, well, the artists yelling Slawa Ukrajini at the end, but hey, ain't nobody got the balls for that. Wonder how the UK feels, the first time after years of zero pointe entries that they got a potential winner and an actually decent song with a nice artist, and they're upstaged by a bunch of clowns that would not have won if it had been an entry by any other nation.

edit 2: Not to mention that the UK will most likely be asked to host the next event, without winning it. So that's a double whammy. Losing to... that, and having to bear the burden of hosting the next competition. Sheesh.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

I cant believe I just sat and watched that entire ABBA video. Ah, shorter dresses. :lol:

Fixed that for you. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Some of the jury votes were, but not all. The popular vote was pure politics though, with 439 out of a possible 468 points awarded to the Ukrainian entry. Prior to the event our TV hosts this year speculated that Ukraine would win this one even if they just sent nobody and we'd sit in three minutes of silence, and what do you know, three minutes of silence would have been preferable to this year's winning entry.

On the bright side, it's marginally less terrible than 2016's political winning entry which was three minutes of howling. Sorry, I meant so say, a three minute touching ballad that rightly won an apolitical music competition! Sorry, mea culpa.

Not that the competition isn't a joke by far and large anyway, and has been so for a long while. Some years it's just more of a joke than in others. :p

edit: Technically the winning entry should be disqualified by the rules of the ESC due to, well, the artists yelling Slawa Ukrajini at the end, but hey, ain't nobody got the balls for that. Wonder how the UK feels, the first time after years of zero pointe entries that they got a potential winner and an actually decent song with a nice artist, and they're upstaged by a bunch of clowns that would not have won if it had been an entry by any other nation.

edit 2: Not to mention that the UK will most likely be asked to host the next event, without winning it. So that's a double whammy. Losing to... that, and having to bear the burden of hosting the next competition. Sheesh.

The Balkan countries screwed them out of perfect points. :D

Personally I think 90% of the songs were unoriginal or a straight rip off. I think Ukraine straight up lifted the choir part from another song, but for the life of me I can't find it. Saying that, I think their song was probably in the top 5.

For me Konstrakta had the best song followed by Moldova, then Spain had the best butt, followed by Ukraine and the rest. I really don't think UK had a song for top 5.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

The AC is back and just in time for potentially record breaking heat. Time to relax in the cool air.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

3DMark (freebie version) tests:

DX11/Firestrike/1440p - Score: 26,500/better than 95% - all right! I don't even overclock or anything like that. My rig ain't too bad, yet! :banana:

DX12/Timespy/1440p - Score: 12,800/better than 77% - CRAP I need to build a new PC, like, right now! :disguise:

...*uninstalls 3DMark*
...I think I was better off not knowing.

• Haha 2

I hate mondays. No dice on elevating the monitor, the cable management is fubar. As soon as I tried to move the monitor 3 others turned off... One yard tractor is broken, in an unfathomable way, and other assorted messes to sort out.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

38 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

cable management is fubar

Me: "Do I trip constantly over anything? No? I have perfect cable management."  :-

...I did notice in that pic you posted tho, that there seemed to be a lot of tangled wires or something behind that setup. I don't like that....there's an order to my personal chaos. Tangles aren't allowed.  ;) 

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I hate mondays. No dice on elevating the monitor, the cable management is fubar. As soon as I tried to move the monitor 3 others turned off... One yard tractor is broken, in an unfathomable way, and other assorted messes to sort out.

Any room to lift up the case?

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

3DMark (freebie version) tests:

DX11/Firestrike/1440p - Score: 26,500/better than 95% - all right! I don't even overclock or anything like that. My rig ain't too bad, yet! :banana:

DX12/Timespy/1440p - Score: 12,800/better than 77% - CRAP I need to build a new PC, like, right now! :disguise:

...*uninstalls 3DMark*
...I think I was better off not knowing.

If you are using the free version then it's locked to 1080p for Fire Strike for Time Spy it's 1440p.

For grins and giggles I did a run on my setup:

DX11/Fire Strike/1080p - Score: 10440/better than 54%

DX12/Timespy/1440p - Score: 3918/better than 19%

Still got it baby! 😂

23 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Me: "Do I trip constantly over anything? No? I have perfect cable management."  :-

...I did notice in that pic you posted tho, that there seemed to be a lot of tangled wires or something behind that setup. I don't like that....there's an order to my personal chaos. Tangles aren't allowed.  ;) 

4 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Any room to lift up the case?

Haha, yeah, alot of tangles, but the main problem is that they did their "cable management", and then put the bench as far against the wall as possible thus squeezing the cables in place, and then screwed the bench in place... so I can't move any of the power or hdmi cables. There's enough slack to raise it maybe 3-4 cms before they have disconnect.

46 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Haha, yeah, alot of tangles, but the main problem is that they did their "cable management", and then put the bench as far against the wall as possible thus squeezing the cables in place, and then screwed the bench in place... so I can't move any of the power or hdmi cables. There's enough slack to raise it maybe 3-4 cms before they have disconnect.

Unscrew the bench or abandon the cables and get new ones (drill a hole in the bench and snake the cables through).

Either way it seems like they really want you to suffer...