What You've Done Today - Always You Must Meddle, Looking For Trouble Where None Exists.

Sarex

I spent last night dealing with my daughter's teenage angst. She has been pretty stressed about school. She missed a couple days a week ago and has been trying to make up a bunch of tests. My daughter has dyslexia and often has to put in twice the work and time to be successful in certain subjects. Apparently she got caught cheating on her Biology test. Now she actually has a special learning plan that allows her to use a notecard with vocabulary when taking tests. This is because of the dyslexia, but it doesn't give her the definitions. She was caught using some slides that has both. She doesn't deny it. She took a shortcut.

I told her she needs to apologize and we went over how to approach that situation. She has some other issues with the teacher. Apparently she doesn't like the way he uses the word retard. I'm like, is it in a biological setting? I told her I'm not going to get into how this guy teaches, but she is in the wrong in this situation and needs to be humble and apologetic. We will see, she is stubborn.

Parenting isn't always easy. :shrugz:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

one o' our dogs will roll in p00p, dead snake or just 'bout anything nightmarish foul. if the dog is off its leash and it notices the source o' evil before Gromnir (a near guarantee as we do not have canine sense o' smell) the pooch will attempt to bathe in the feces, slurry, whatever. 

if we can't stop our dog from rolling in deer p00p, then what chance would we have o' reasoning with a teenage girl?  deer poop is particularly vile in the late summer and early fall when the critters is clear eating considerable blackberries-- the resulting scat becomes a noisome jelly/jam which is curiously water replant. nevertheless am certain our dog issue is a laughable minor nothing compared to the difficulty o' raising a teenage girl. 

good luck.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My daughter actually called me with an update shortly after I posted that. The teacher accepted her apology, but she ended up with 3/14 on the test. That was her score even with the cheating issue, so I assume she has learned that cheating is bad, and she's also not very good at it, so it isn't worth the risk. :blink:

Ah well, the kid has an A+ in woodshop and is already a better craftsperson than her dad. I'm pretty sure the construction track is the right one for her. 

She doesn't roll in poop and has decent hygiene. My son, on the other hand...>_< 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

so I assume she has learned that cheating is bad

To paraphrase Garak: "Are you sure that's the point, teacher?"

Maybe she just needs to get better at cheating. :yes:

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

51 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

My daughter actually called me with an update shortly after I posted that. The teacher accepted her apology, but she ended up with 3/14 on the test. That was her score even with the cheating issue, so I assume she has learned that cheating is bad, and she's also not very good at it, so it isn't worth the risk. :blink:

Ah well, the kid has an A+ in woodshop and is already a better craftsperson than her dad. I'm pretty sure the construction track is the right one for her. 

She doesn't roll in poop and has decent hygiene. My son, on the other hand...>_< 

Wow, in my schools the teacher would give you an automatic 0 for cheating.  Kids these days 😛

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Wow, in my schools the teacher would give you an automatic 0 for cheating.  Kids these days 😛

Once had a teacher who managed to find out that we got a hold of a copy of the upcoming exam and had a couple of days to prepare for it - she came in the with the graded exams, looked at the class and said in a somewhat disappointed tone: "I was told that you had the questions three days in advance and to be honest, I found the quality of your answers wanting even before I realized you had ample time to prepare. Tell me, please, how not a single one of you managed to get an A? Therefore, I have decided to accept what you turned in. Rest assured that I will take better care in the future, you will not be able to copy the questions prior to the exam a second time. Now, the grades are as follows..."

Just need to do badly enough even with cheating, might amuse the teachers. :p

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I can really only abide cheating when it's funny. Like in cards and for money.

The bit about not liking her teacher saying retard is interesting, though. I thought the word was dead a few years ago. And then I end up in my current job with someone who calls people that all the time. It's basically this individual's only insult. It's still out there and in use by adults.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

11 hours ago, Malcador said:

Same thing in our schools but accompanied by a hefty beating in case you were a boy.

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

17 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Parenting isn't always easy. :shrugz:

I guess not but from they way it sounds you are doing a hell of a good job of it.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

15 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

So she cheated and still failed? I think the lesson isn't that cheating is bad, it's that she's bad at cheating! :lol:

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

16 hours ago, majestic said:

To paraphrase Garak: "Are you sure that's the point, teacher?"

Maybe she just needs to get better at cheating. :yes:

I went ahead and sent her this video. This is a great Parenting forum. :p

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I went ahead and sent her this video. This is a great Parenting forum. :p

It is? Then what is an example of a horrible parenting forum?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

-Etsy

-Westboro Baptist Church Forum

-Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons

-Those moms that hate Harry Potter

Honestly though, social media is filled with unrealistic and unsustainable parenting advice. This forum is better than that. 😉

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2

3 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

RPGCodex. Reddit.

9 hours ago, Katphood said:

Same thing in our schools but accompanied by a hefty beating in case you were a boy.

Hah. Well in my case, cheating would have gotten me a beating at home from my parents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

-Etsy

-Westboro Baptist Church Forum

-Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons

-Those moms that hate Harry Potter

Honestly though, social media is filled with unrealistic and unsustainable parenting advice. This forum is better than that. 😉

Okie dokie, time to do a dive and see if my sanity is even more shattered..

On anti-Harry Potter moms, I read this yesterday: https://deadline.com/2022/03/vladimir-putin-defends-jk-rowling-claims-west-trying-cancel-russia-1234986849/

Ngl, still kinda staggered by this plot line.

43 minutes ago, Malcador said:

RPGCodex. Reddit.

No one on RPGCodex has reproduced and reddit is the worst of everything.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Hah. Well in my case, cheating would have gotten me a beating at home from my parents.

we got a couple beatings as a kid, but wouldn't have been for something such as cheating at school, or so we s'pose since it never were an issue. in retrospect, we woulda' preferred beatings to our ordinary punishment. when we done wrong our grandfather would stare at us with a look o' hard stony judgement, but as to our mistake he would likely remain as silent as a notre dame gargoyle. instead o' verbal excoriating, our grandfather would assign us a chore, such as digging a drainage trench in near frozen soil, or fixing fence lines in snow/rain or whatever. after many hours/days o' soul crushing labor, we would be asked what we done wrong and how we would fix wrong. bad answer meant we got more hours/days o' chore. cycle would repeat until it were Gromnir who came up with the answers our grandfather wanted to hear. hurl telling his daughter to apologize wouldn't happen 'cause is something Gromnir would need intuit. hurl's daughter implying the teacher's use o' "retard" somehow justified the wrong would get us more sweat, shivering, blisters and/or bone wearying fatigue. 'course Gromnir were never a teenage girl and hurl is not a crusty old oglala on a small ranch in the dakotas during the 70s and 80s.

we did get a couple beatings for not proper taking care o' livestock/animals. improper care o' animals were 'bout the only thing which ever got us a brief and memorable beating.

our mother would yell at us and we did once get a backhand from our father when we "talked back." 

*shrug*

cheating weren't gonna be a thing for us. were never even a thing we considered before college. gonna admit to being tempted once or twice in university/grad school/law school, but we were especial protective o' our academic reputation; as a minority student in the 80s/90s, there were more than a few tucker carlson types who assumed we had not earned our seat at boalt. cheat woulda' been giving legitimacy to the claims o' such dirtbags and we had a chip on our shoulder the size o' olympus mons. 

dunno. am unsure how teens view academic cheating nowadays. cindy makes a social media posts suggesting kim is trying to steal wendy's boyfriend and am suspecting we got war of the roses 2022. 

"o', i have lost my reputation! i have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial."-- othello, act 2, scene 3.

kids is just as concerned (more) 'bout their reputation today as when we were a teenager. am nevertheless baffled by what the new generations believe is worth fighting to protect, and have always been unnerved by teenage "reasoning."

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Balanced between a bit more costume work, and writing up a 10 minute presentation for a job interview.

Been working on that neck-seal. Thought I'd try something a little different from the standard pseudo-StormTrooper style a lot of Mando's use.

5HvUFlF.jpg

Also, for amusements sake, tried making a 3D scan of myself wearing flightsuit, flak-vest and neck seal. Thought i might try putting it into Blender to really get the right proportion when tweaking armour designs...

og027Kq.png

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Think I'm finally taking at least my main PC up north. Saw a game on Steam I'm half interested in (Ghostwire: Tokyo). It'd be nice to download it here then have something new to check out a bit. Doesn't seem like a masterpiece game or anything but it might fit my more casual/jump in and out, explore/expose a map, not too difficult combat style these days. Also, you can pet/feed make friends with dogs and cats or something, for some reason. Sounds like me, right? Hm.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just itching to get out of my hotel room. I can pick up the keys to my new place tomorrow afternoon, but the removal company can't deliver my furniture until the day after tomorrow. So, staying put for a few more days. To add insult to injury, the torrential rain is back and there is no going for a walk anywhere to relieve boredom :(

• Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 3/28/2022 at 4:45 AM, Gorth said:

Just itching to get out of my hotel room. I can pick up the keys to my new place tomorrow afternoon, but the removal company can't deliver my furniture until the day after tomorrow. So, staying put for a few more days. To add insult to injury, the torrential rain is back and there is no going for a walk anywhere to relieve boredom :(

For some reason this came to mind

I ordered and received new screens for five of my downstairs windows. I was a little nervous because I took all the measurements myself and if I were off even by 1/16" then I would have had $400.00 in unusable screens that I couldnt return. Thankfully they all fit like a glove, and we upgraded the screen material to their "pet resistant" version so hopefully Ill get a couple of years out of them before the cats claw them to ribbons.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I ordered and received new screens for five of my downstairs windows. I was a little nervous because I took all the measurements myself and if I were off even by 1/16" then I would have had $400.00 in unusable screens that I couldnt return. Thankfully they all fit like a glove, and we upgraded the screen material to their "pet resistant" version so hopefully Ill get a couple of years out of them before the cats claw them to ribbons.

As long as you doing the DIY yourself thats the most important thing ...you dont want to bring in some contractor to do the work !!! :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Got the keys to my place and got my furniture and stuff delivered. Now I just have to do the Sisyphus thing for a few weeks, carrying boxes from the garage and up the stairs 😓 

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

31 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Got the keys to my place and got my furniture and stuff delivered. Now I just have to do the Sisyphus thing for a few weeks, carrying boxes from the garage and up the stairs 😓 

Their arent many things  more laborious and stressful  than having to move...packing all your things up and then unpacking 

And its not like you can pay someone to do it  for you so I can empathize with your pain 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela