The TV and Streaming Thread: Where is Ricky Gervais when you need him???

Zoraptor

https://www.history.com/shows/abraham-lincoln

I am watching this superlative 3 part series on Abraham Lincoln, what a  great man he was and what he faced with the Civil War

This series is highly recommended on the globally followed and endorsed " BruceVC TV series " rating system. I am only on episode 1 so I cant score it yet 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Justified is probably my best series of all time and I have watched it twice. Dont worry about where its filmed because its very realistic and captures life in  Kentucky accurately and includes some excellent themed music...listen to the song below. I love this type of Country  music 

The thing was I was thinking of watching it with my dad who grew up in the setting.  While he likes modern westerns (which I gather, Justified is in many respects), having it shot in locations he'd possibly recognize would have made it a must watch...we'll probably get around to it still.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I loved the scene where Raylan drops a bullet on a guy on the ground and tells him that "next time the bullet will be faster."

• Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I loved the scene where Raylan drops a bullet on a guy on the ground and tells him that "next time the bullet will be faster."

I loved all the personalities, especially the villains  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

53 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

Anyone been talking about Moon Knight? I'm really enjoying it so far. Feels tonally very different to anything else in the MCU.

steven are usually the frustrating kind of character

surprising how the character manage to be relatable

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

The thing was I was thinking of watching it with my dad who grew up in the setting.  While he likes modern westerns (which I gather, Justified is in many respects), having it shot in locations he'd possibly recognize would have made it a must watch...we'll probably get around to it still.

Please dont forget to watch it, I want see what you think 

Why dont you set yourself a confirmed date to watch season 1, like within the next 2 weeks,  so that you dont procrastinate and forget, thats what I do with important but unintentionally forgettable goals?

Im happy to remind you every 3-4 days if you want ?

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Please dont forget to watch it, I want see what you think 

Why dont you set yourself a confirmed date to watch season 1, like within the next 2 weeks,  so that you dont procrastinate and forget, thats what I do with important but unintentionally forgettable goals?

Im happy to remind you every 3-4 days if you want ?

Hahhaha. No.

I'm currently booked up for some time on TV shows.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

is worth remembering how the bullet bit were actually lifted from an old johnny carson show and the character o' raylan gives credit in a subsequent episode--

Spoiler

a cop interviewing raylan as a homicide suspect notes the bullet bit is, "just about the coolest thing he had ever heard," whereupon marshal givens explains the johnny carson origin.

is actual kinda a creative way to recognize the source o' the bullet line... doing with the characters in the show in an organic way which advances narrative. 

overall is an excellent show and has loads o' signature elmore leonard dialogue. is one reason why the chadwick boseman episode is so disappointing. the supporting cast marshals is not used much in the show, but one o' the extreme few installments o' the show when rachel brooks is having a significant contribution is also one o' the more terrible offerings, in no small part 'cause o' the clumsy handling o' minority characters who is painful stereotypes as 'posed to meaningful characters.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Latest Picard episode

On this episode Rafi was totally different than she had been in this season so far. Previously she is the one who has been pushing the plot forward. She is willing to do anything to save Elnor. This time it's the opposite. In the end she's the one others have to convince so the plot can go forward.

What happened? Did I miss something?  

• Haha 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Picard or whatever. Garbage is pretty much right. 

Edit: How does Ms. Estonian Capital know what a mind meld is? At the current time it is still a taboo on Vulcan. Or should be, at any rate.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Brisco County - EP8 Senior Spirit

John Bly kidnaps professor Wickwire and one of the robber barons' sons. Brisco gets some help from beyond the grave to confront his nemesis.

This is the least comedic and most serious episode yet. This is also where it is revealed that there is more than one orb. Bly is great as usual as the soft spoken evil manipulator.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Brisco County - EP9 Brisco For The Defense

Brisco is pulled back into his old job as a lawyer when a friend is accused of murder.

This is a good old fashioned murder mystery episode and not in any way related to the main story. Brisco and Socrates are the only regulars to appear. I'm always sad when Bowler doesn't appear, but it wouldn't have made sense for him to be there. This was sort of like an episode of Law & Order, except entertaining. The good thing about not having watched this show in nearly 30 years is that I had no recollection of who had done the deed. I thought I had the murderer figured out about halfway through. I was sort of right since said person wound up being an accomplice.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hah, I never thought Star Trek Picard could be this self-reflective. Episode opens with a shrink talking to Picard about his claustrophobia (I kid you not!) and Picard eventually replies by calling this line of questioning absurd.

Absurd, yes. All of it.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

Hah, I never thought Star Trek Picard could be this self-reflective. Episode opens with a shrink talking to Picard about his claustrophobia (I kid you not!) and Picard eventually replies by calling this line of questioning absurd.

Absurd, yes. All of it.

Spoiler

Didn't Q say he also had a synthetic body in this alternate timeline? Why didn't the doctor see a single thing out of the ordinary? Don't tell me the writers forgot about it...

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Huh, so, this is... different. Or at least, the trailer makes it look a whole lot different than what came before. Might be a good thing, as much as I liked the first season and thought the other two were still good it was getting a little stale and more and more ridiculous - but this season seems to drive the ridiculousness up to eleven. This could be the worst thing ever, or an awesome 80ies horror revival. It looks like Stranger Things, Nightmare on Elm Street and Hellraiser went on a date with Stephen King's It. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

drive the ridiculousness up to eleven

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

12 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:
  Hide contents

Didn't Q say he also had a synthetic body in this alternate timeline? Why didn't the doctor see a single thing out of the ordinary? Don't tell me the writers forgot about it...

I don't think writers forgot anything. It's just that they didn't do anything with it in the first season so why would they do something with in the second season.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:28 AM, majestic said:

Huh, so, this is... different. Or at least, the trailer makes it look a whole lot different than what came before. Might be a good thing, as much as I liked the first season and thought the other two were still good it was getting a little stale and more and more ridiculous - but this season seems to drive the ridiculousness up to eleven. This could be the worst thing ever, or an awesome 80ies horror revival. It looks like Stranger Things, Nightmare on Elm Street and Hellraiser went on a date with Stephen King's It. :p

That looks very good, I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons so a fourth season confirmed is excellent news 

John Milton 

Tried to watch the 1st episode of the 2nd season of Netflix's Bridgerton. But with the focus on the brother and his hunt for a wife (and one of the sisters as well), it's just not as interesting. I've read this follows the books (the series is about the whole family, not just one couple) but that first season was such ridiculous fun I guess it colors my ability to watch the 2nd season (so far). I may give it another shot a little later

The filming, costumes and sets are as gorgeous as ever, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts