ranDom vIdeO game news

Sarex

9MIuRgb.jpg

Black Witch and White Lion DLC will be content complete with the patch on Monday.

A second DLC for Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children will be worked on after that. It will feature Misty Jäger (see screenshot).

She'll have access to the rogue class.

Once that DLC is done, development will be started on Troubleshooter: Banished Children.

*squeee*

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

5 hours ago, melkathi said:

9MIuRgb.jpg

Black Witch and White Lion DLC will be content complete with the patch on Monday.

A second DLC for Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children will be worked on after that. It will feature Misty Jäger (see screenshot).

She'll have access to the rogue class.

Once that DLC is done, development will be started on Troubleshooter: Banished Children.

*squeee*

Out of curiosity, is that one going to be free as well?  Dandylion really spoils us with all the free content, when I'd be happy to pay for more DLC to ensure their financial future.

They haven't said yet. So far the announcement is limited to basically "hey people, we'll continue making content for the game".

It'll be a smaller dlc. Which hopefully means no crabmits in it. The monster missions in lion and witch were just a distraction nobody would have noticed if they had been left out.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Problem with early access is paying for a beta.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/451770/syberia-the-world-before-delayed-to-q1-2022/

Well, that sucks, need a new adventure game to play.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 12/3/2021 at 5:49 AM, melkathi said:

The problem with early access. People write criticism in the first week and it sticks around forever

I think that's fair, though. If you are charging money for a product then it's fair game for criticism, I don't care if it's early access. That criticism sticking around after the issue is addressed sucks, but that's the price you pay for charging money for an unfinished product.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I think that's fair, though. If you are charging money for a product then it's fair game for criticism, I don't care if it's early access. That criticism sticking around after the issue is addressed sucks, but that's the price you pay for charging money for an unfinished product.

You as a consumer though get inaccurate reviews.

15 minutes ago, melkathi said:

You as a consumer though get inaccurate reviews.

Then I, as a consumer, should do my due diligence and dig deeper before making a purchase decision. I realize many, if not most, people won't do this and that it's not a perfect system, but what's the alternative? Disabling or forbidding reviews of early access products? That's some authoritarian **** right there. Manually correcting all reviews when issues have been fixed? That sounds like the ideal solution but good luck implementing it.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

How quickly you got to authoritarianism from a simple comment that the criticism that put hoonding off trying a game may likely be out of date is astounding. You OK? You usually not so eager to pick an argument.

5 minutes ago, melkathi said:

How quickly you got to authoritarianism from a simple comment that the criticism that put hoonding off trying a game may likely be out of date is astounding. You OK? You usually not so eager to pick an argument.

I'm fine, I don't understand how you interpreted my comment as an attack. Are you OK?  I simply proposed 2 alternatives to the current review system and shared my quick thoughts on both of them, since I find people often are quick to criticize systems in place without offering said alternatives.

Yes, the system is flawed. What can be done about it?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Seems like the easy fix would be to tag reviews made during the early access period as made during early access. Updating the review after full release could remove the tag or something. 

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, EA games should have the build number or version prominently shown, every review has that tagged on it so you know what build the people were complaining about.  That with timestamps on reviews would make things clear that a review is out of date.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Reviews already have review dates on them, so adding the game version as of the time the review was made is reasonable, with EA versions being tagged as such.

Distinguishing between Early Access and full release isn't necessarily all that meaningful though - I mean, No Man's Sky wasn't Early Access. And we all know plenty of games release with issues present in EA/beta launching unchanged. So beyond marking the little info box in the corner, I wouldn't go any further - certainly nothing that automatically invalidates or otherwise deprioritises those reviews.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Steam does attempt to address this by having both an overall review and a recent review perjorative. 

But yeah, there are a lot of morons who don't have patience or common sense about early access games. Like, it isn't done and it may be years before it is, so chill out about the end game for a bit. 😑

Steam has a small label I think.

The real problem is that you can't expect people to check back on a game they are done playing to see if their review is still accurate.

I played Evil Genius 2. I hated it. I am not inclined to give it another chance. The devs spend a year addressing the issues (they haven't really - not mine anyway) and let's say my review is no longer accurate. I have written the game off and don't check back. My review may not be relevant anymore, but who will judge that and take it down? If developers had that power, that system could be abused to silence bad reviews in general. Valve, GOG or whichever platform can't go playing every game to check. So it is up to the customers to check date of reviews/articles. But an old review can just as well still be super relevant.

In tourism and the restaurant business reviews on big sites may get removed after 2 years because there is no guarantee services are still up to the same standard. A reason why in hotels we want you to write a good review even if we have hundreds already. Those hundreds will disappear and we need them replaced.

Games have the same review system as movies and books. But movies and books are complete products. When the audience/readers get them, they are what they are. Directors Cuts or different editions may come out, but those are different products. Games on the other hand, since digital distribution, can be evolving products which no review system can handle as a system.

Edited by melkathi

The steam review system in general is very faulty, as people use it more of as a general feedback feature rather than as reviews as whole games. I've seen games drop to "mixed" because a recent DLC had a bug that wasn't fixed in a day. The bigger the fanbase, the smaller the problem people get annoyed about that can cause a game to drop in reviews.

It might be a useful feature, but it's not really a review system, in the same way the word is understood everywhere else.

Edited by MrBrown

Anyone solely relying on Steam reviews to make purchasing decisions is a foolish consumer IMHO. It's a nice supplement, I like to read a couple positive reviews and a couple negative ones, but I'll also look for "professional" reviews both in written and video form, preferably from trusted sources.

It's on a case by case basis how much research I do. If it's something from a series and/or developer I am already familiar with and predisposed to liking, I'm just looking to see that the devs didn't royally **** up a formula I already like. If I'm going into totally uncharted territory then I'll do a lot more research.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸