What You've Done Today - But you… have elected… the way of… pain!

Amentep

19 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Man, the east coast has hurricanes and polar vortexes. I'll take my perfect weather and expensive water, thank you very much. 

We actually have a storm on the horizon this weekend. So we just need about 50 more of those and we will be good.

" polar vortexes " sounds like something in the games I play 🌦️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

I think Id rather be cold than hot. I can always add more layers to get warm but I can only take so much off to get cool. Except snow, I hate snow with a passion.

I used to agree with that sentiment, but as I've gotten older the cold bugs me way more than the heat. Part of it is I lost all my insulation when I started doing triathlons, and another part is all the aches and pains seems to magnify in the cold. I get why people retire to places like Palm Springs.

is not as if there is a california weather. bay area and sacramento is not distant, but weather, particular during summer, is considerable different. similar, a short trip to the east o' sacramento has you in the sierra nevadas, which receive, during ordinary years, considerable snow. in fact, the first snow o' the year in our part o' the sierras occurred a couple weeks past.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Should start shipping the snow west.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hey guys. I’m alone in the house again. I picked G up at the airport Saturday morning and took her straight to the Peabody Hotel in downtown. I had a deluxe room reserved for us with a great view.  We spent the whole day in the room just, y’know, enjoying each other’s company. Then in the evening it was dinner at Rizzo’s then champagne at the rooftop bar with live music and the lights of the city below us and the stars above. It was perfect.

The next day I brought her back to my place and we spent the day watching the Packers vs Bears and other games. She is a big Packers fan. I don’t think they let you live in Wisconsin if you’re not. That’s something I should probably follow up on. That’s going to be important info soon. 

We spent four together. I was hoping for longer, but work waits for no one. Plus, she got a little… not sure… hesitant at the end. We got to do some of the fun stuff I had planned but mostly she just wanted to stay at my place. She loved my house and all the stuff. I had hoped she would. She loved the garden and greenhouse and veggies (she is mostly a vegetarian) and the whole thing. But she really liked how much land and the seclusion and privacy of it. My hopes were soaring. I was hoping she would imagine some kind of a future here with me. It was not to be of course. But I knew that.

We took a walk down Cold Creek to the river and spent the day talking about us and what our future might be. Her life is not in Tennessee and won’t ever be. She spoke to B on the phone every night we were together. She could never be so far away from her. I told her I knew that, and I’d never ask her to be. I told her I wanted to be part of her life. And if her life is in WI then that is where I’ll go. She was shocked, I think. Then I told her I’d already spoken to a realtor that was handling other stuff for me about selling. I wanted to know how she felt about that. Her reaction was not what I’d expected. I thought that idea would make her happy. It’s not that it didn’t… I couldn’t put my finger on it. 

We talked some more about it. She has no interest in ever being married again but conceded she might change her mind. I laughed at that comment and told her I had no problem with that. We talked in general about buying land and building houses. How I built my place. She said she would love to have something like that near her hometown. She has always wanted her own horses and a place to board and treat. One thing we haven’t spoken about is money. I got the impression her situation is still not great following what her ex did to her. And B is a full-time student and I’m pretty sure G is helping her. I’ve enjoyed some real financial success following the sale of our business. And I’ve been very careful in managing and investing it. What she is dreaming of is within my means. Especially if I sell my place. I was thinking this but held back from telling her everything. I decided to push that conversation down the road a little way. Something about her hesitation made me cautious. Plus, I’m always wary of the danger of moving too fast. I’m cool with going all in. I’m not sure she is yet. I think it’s best to let her get there on her own.

She flew home this morning. She called me when she landed and again when she got home. I’m planning on going up to see her next weekend and spending time up there. Maybe even look at real estate, who knows. But I’m definitely going to slow down a little. I don’t want her feeling pressured.

• Like 10

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ah, I was worried she murdered you or something as you weren't posting.  Well, then again, maybe she did and is using GD's account to keep up appearances. Hm..

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

27 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Hey guys. I’m alone in the house again. I picked G up at the airport Saturday morning and took her straight to the Peabody Hotel in downtown. I had a deluxe room reserved for us with a great view.  We spent the whole day in the room just, y’know, enjoying each other’s company. Then in the evening it was dinner at Rizzo’s then champagne at the rooftop bar with live music and the lights of the city below us and the stars above. It was perfect.

The next day I brought her back to my place and we spent the day watching the Packers vs Bears and other games. She is a big Packers fan. I don’t think they let you live in Wisconsin if you’re not. That’s something I should probably follow up on. That’s going to be important info soon. 

We spent four together. I was hoping for longer, but work waits for no one. Plus, she got a little… not sure… hesitant at the end. We got to do some of the fun stuff I had planned but mostly she just wanted to stay at my place. She loved my house and all the stuff. I had hoped she would. She loved the garden and greenhouse and veggies (she is mostly a vegetarian) and the whole thing. But she really liked how much land and the seclusion and privacy of it. My hopes were soaring. I was hoping she would imagine some kind of a future here with me. It was not to be of course. But I knew that.

We took a walk down Cold Creek to the river and spent the day talking about us and what our future might be. Her life is not in Tennessee and won’t ever be. She spoke to B on the phone every night we were together. She could never be so far away from her. I told her I knew that, and I’d never ask her to be. I told her I wanted to be part of her life. And if her life is in WI then that is where I’ll go. She was shocked, I think. Then I told her I’d already spoken to a realtor that was handling other stuff for me about selling. I wanted to know how she felt about that. Her reaction was not what I’d expected. I thought that idea would make her happy. It’s not that it didn’t… I couldn’t put my finger on it. 

We talked some more about it. She has no interest in ever being married again but conceded she might change her mind. I laughed at that comment and told her I had no problem with that. We talked in general about buying land and building houses. How I built my place. She said she would love to have something like that near her hometown. She has always wanted her own horses and a place to board and treat. One thing we haven’t spoken about is money. I got the impression her situation is still not great following what her ex did to her. And B is a full-time student and I’m pretty sure G is helping her. I’ve enjoyed some real financial success following the sale of our business. And I’ve been very careful in managing and investing it. What she is dreaming of is within my means. Especially if I sell my place. I was thinking this but held back from telling her everything. I decided to push that conversation down the road a little way. Something about her hesitation made me cautious. Plus, I’m always wary of the danger of moving too fast. I’m cool with going all in. I’m not sure she is yet. I think it’s best to let her get there on her own.

She flew home this morning. She called me when she landed and again when she got home. I’m planning on going up to see her next weekend and spending time up there. Maybe even look at real estate, who knows. But I’m definitely going to slow down a little. I don’t want her feeling pressured.

Sounds like you had a great time with her, nice one

I dont think you should be worried about her reaction, I would say its because she was a little surprised you are prepared to move the relationship forward so quickly. This is a good thing of course, as it shows commitment,  but you have only been together for less than  2  months or so  and Im sure  she wasnt  expecting you to be prepared to move to Wisconsin so soon

So do exactly what  you doing, let things continue to progress at the pace they going and dont think of her hestinancy as  a bad thing.

You should also tell her you have always wanted to live in Wisconsin because you love cheese, the people from Wisconsin love that type of thing. Just before the pandemic I met a friendly  honeymoon couple from Wisconsin at one of my regular bars and when I told them I loved all the diary products in their state they were very impressed 🧀

In fact GD if you want to score big points tell her you have always wanted to try the famous 28 year old mature cheddar found only in Wisconsin and a move their will guarantee you can eat it ( I dream of one day eating this cheddar )

https://www.thedailymeal.com/28-year-old-cheddar-oldest-cheddar-america#:~:text=A man in Wisconsin discovered 28-year-old cheddar%2C making,is set to go on sale in October.

https://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/collections/aged-cheddar?page=2

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Ah, I was worried she murdered you or something as you weren't posting.  Well, then again, maybe she did and is using GD's account to keep up appearances. Hm..

Governments are inherently evil. Ayn Rand was a genius. From my cold dead hands will they take my guns!

59746i3DDE7042BC3670FD?v=v2

• Haha 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Went to buy a light bulb, had to deal with some antimasker yelling that I am a slave to China and need to wake up.  I guess I disappointed him with my lack of reaction, though.  And I got the wrong damn temperature bulb too, maybe he'll be back at the store when I go to change it.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Went to buy a light bulb, had to deal with some antimasker yelling that I am a slave to China and need to wake up.  I guess I disappointed him with my lack of reaction, though.  And I got the wrong damn temperature bulb too, maybe he'll be back at the store when I go to change it.

Curbside pickup is the second greatest innovation of COVID. It minimizes your contact with the other humans. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

16 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Curbside pickup is the second greatest innovation of COVID. It minimizes your contact with the other humans. 

I'm even lazier than that and have everything delivered. Between Instacart (groceries and whatnot), Drizly (alcohol), and Amazon (subscriptions are the real hero for the stuff you buy regularly) I barely have to go anywhere anymore. I only go if I want to.

• Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Unless something goes horribly wrong, I guess we're moving in a couple months.  Excitement won't come until six months later when I've adapted to a new place/arrangement and am feeling confident that we're not going to decide to just turn around and move right back here again for some reason.

That said ... the yard is much bigger with more suburb neighbor separation - even with the pool and covered patio you could still build a giant garden and workshop structure (doesn't mean we will...) and there's somewhat more living space, plus still easy river park access, so it's cool. I guess. :shifty:

• Like 7
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Something kind of funny happened last night. I get a call from my brother. I’ve told you guys a little about him he and I are not real close and don’t speak very often. In fact I talk to my niece and nephew more than I do him and my sister in law. Anyway he is shopping on gunbroker.com. And I told you guys I listed a couple of my firearms on there for sale. He recognized one and called me about it. He asked if it was mine. I told him yes. He said why didn’t I call him because he’s always liked that one. I said I did. Two weeks ago! Left you a voicemail and you never called me back. Then I laughed and I said you never call me back! We had a chuckle about that and end up talking for over an hour. It was good to catch up with him. He’s a good guy he just has a lot of demands on his time. Since our parents passed away we’ve gotten out of touch. 

he invited me to come down for Christmas. I hated to decline but I don’t know if I’m going to have plans or not. I’m kind of assuming that I will. But I told him definitely maybe. I asked him if he wanted the rifle and he said yes. I told him he could have it. I wasn’t taking his money.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

14 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm even lazier than that and have everything delivered. Between Instacart (groceries and whatnot), Drizly (alcohol), and Amazon (subscriptions are the real hero for the stuff you buy regularly) I barely have to go anywhere anymore. I only go if I want to.

The gig workers delivering our stuff are the new serfs

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

According to some people I know who did or do the gigs, you can make ok to pretty good money doing it but fairly often you'll have people who don't tip or tip peanuts. I'm not sure if I should be baffled at how many people don't bother to tip or unsurprised that a lot of folks are ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I don’t think serfs were tipped half so well! I let the Kroger guy know exactly how much I appreciate his efforts.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Im too miserly to swallow the upcharge on the products and the delivery fees. :lol: I used to do curbside pickup for my groceries, and the pickers do a decent job, but I dont allow alternatives if something is out of stock so I might as well just go do it myself. I have it down to a science, in-out with a weeks groceries in under 45 minutes.

I get mine done in under 25, key is to write the list in a good path for the store.  I'd be tempted to have them get my groceries for me, but never ever will I let another person pick my avocados and mangoes. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Im too miserly to swallow the upcharge on the products and the delivery fees. :lol: I used to do curbside pickup for my groceries, and the pickers do a decent job, but I dont allow alternatives if something is out of stock so I might as well just go do it myself. I have it down to a science, in-out with a weeks groceries in under 45 minutes.

Small price to pay to minimize your contact with the other humans! There’s only one human on this big blue ball I want close contact with. And she’s much better looking than what I see in the Covington Kroger!

Thomas Sowell

6 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I get mine done in under 25, key is to write the list in a good path for the store.  I'd be tempted to have them get my groceries for me, but never ever will I let another person pick my avocados and mangoes. 

That is pretty smart. The grocery store and the Walmart here you can actually order everything you want and they will have it ready for you. So the delivery service is only making a delivery they’re not doing the shopping for me. That’s still a service I deeply appreciate.

Thomas Sowell

19 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

GD something just occurred to me, I thought you and Gail didnt drink anymore? And dont get me wrong, I absolutely support normal drinking and I dont think anyone needs to abuse alcohol when you drink it recreationally...it can be such a  nice mood setter and nothing better than watching some exciting sports game at a bar or at home and having a few drinks or a romantic evening like you had

So does this mean you drinking again but in moderation which if you asked me I would say its a good idea 🍻

John Milton