The all things Political Topic - When the sun Rises, the shadows must retreat Fleeing in fear from the Fires of dawn

Gorth

29 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

so, the person o' whom you were unable to discover 'cause there were no such user, you divined alternative names for your search?

You have some serious problems, you know. I just wrote to you:

1 hour ago, Skarpen said:

You are the only poster who regularly reference the guy since I got here and you don't always use his full nick

so I didn't have to divine anything just read your posts for the last couple of months...

~30%  Searched for 'Sharp_one, sharpie, sharp' in All Content (obsidian.net) 

~50% Searched for 'sharpie' in All Content (obsidian.net)

~75% Searched for 'Sharp_one' in All Content (obsidian.net)

BTW: You clearly are not obsessed 🤣

Edited by Skarpen

166215__front.jpg

mind boggling

so 30% o' 33 total returns for your first research which is most broad.

50% o' 4 total results from your curious narrow sharpie search (compare https://forums.obsidian.net/search/?&q=sharpie&page=1&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy)

75% o' 9 total results from final search.

and again, w/o any explanation as to your divination.

compare to the most obvious search which yielded 204 total.

figment? mostly?

again, you clear didn't bother to search before making your mostly and figment observations, or you just lied. what is the reasonable alternative?

HA! Good Fun!

ps the real question is: why do you keep doing this to yourself?

pps am beginning to suspect skarpen is actual a marco rubio alt

turns out the secretary were following the masking guidelines o' the Philippines.

so, unable to accept he got wrong, he does the follow up post

problem is the other photos is not from the Philippines. singapore and vietnam.

the thing is, am betting marco stops at two fails.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If it makes you feel any better, I used to pretty regularly call you Skarpen_One before I used my adblocker to strip your existence from these forums via some custom filters, but...wait, why am I in here again? Oh, right, because I disabled my adblock a couple of days ago and forgot to re-enable it.

• Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Norway have a slang for some obscure forum nick? Weird. 

Mine comes from:

https://mapcarta.com/17701808 

Which is in Sweden and Sweden is not Norway. I think I have to clarify to not be accused of not reading links I post 🙄

Google also found some landmarks bearing the name in Norway, but search for skarpen slang meaning didn't return anything. 

It's just a way of giving nicknames over here. You take the adjective (in this case skarp/sharp) and add an en/one ending to the word to attribute it to someone in particular, as a situational nickname. Won't work in a written text, but it's relatively common when just talking.

No matter the adjective you can just add an "en" ending to it and it works as a nickname. When you think someone said something clever you call him "Skarpen". Though it's more often used ironically.

(I get that you probably didn't know this, but I still think it's a funny coincidence).

So, I provide a couple of examples how different methods give different results and you still beat the same drum. 

8 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

and again, w/o any explanation as to your divination.

20 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Y

You are the only poster who regularly reference the guy since I got here and you don't always use his full nick

so I didn't have to divine anything just read your posts for the last couple of months...

166215__front.jpg

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

It's just a way of giving nicknames over here. You take the adjective (in this case skarp/sharp) and add an en/one ending to the word to attribute it to someone in particular, as a situational nickname. Won't work in a written text, but it's relatively common when just talking.

No matter the adjective you can just add an "en" ending to it and it works as a nickname. When you think someone said something clever you call him "Skarpen". Though it's more often used ironically.

(I get that you probably didn't know this, but I still think it's a funny coincidence).

Interesting to know, thanks.

• Thanks 1

166215__front.jpg

As fun as the trip down memory lane may be, this is the 'politics/current events' thread not the 'let us rehash the history of posters who asked to have their account deleted' thread. Let's try to get back on topic.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

21 minutes ago, Amentep said:

As fun as the trip down memory lane may be, this is the 'politics/current events' thread not the 'let us rehash the history of posters who asked to have their account deleted' thread. Let's try to get back on topic.

am current referencing intentional obfuscation, which is political relevant, yes? marco rubio knowing or mistaken posted pictures o' the secretary o' defense in singapore and vietnam as some sorta argument defending an earlier phillipines blunder. skarpen makes a 50% of posts claim ignoring fact every single use o' the searched terms by this poster were either from after his initial search, or referenced trump's sharpie pen. the wrong is similar and is has nothing whatsoever to do with the history o' a former poster.

nevertheless, am guessing you are taking a more expansive view and simply want the bickering to end, whether is related to the shortcomings o' a former poster or not.

fine.

as an aside, notice how marco rubio, in his subsequent post cropped the photo 'o the secretary o' defense in the philipines which were original showing other military officers similar masked and shielded. these guys just can't help themselves, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

ps edit out repeat word

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

42 minutes ago, Amentep said:

'let us rehash the history of posters who asked to have their account deleted' thread

firefox_JgOTNGHWJI.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Is Oby back?

We are all oby.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

that said, is not all on you. am taking advantage o' your handicap.  point o' diminishing returns is indeed far in the rearview mirror.

You might not be doing yourself any favours (other than the fun of it of course) when dealing with certain personality types like aforementioned sharp_one... ;)

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder.htm

" It’s more accurate to say that people with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) are in love with an idealized, grandiose image of themselves. And they’re in love with this inflated self-image precisely because it allows them to avoid deep feelings of insecurity. But propping up their delusions of grandeur takes a lot of work—and that’s where the dysfunctional attitudes and behaviors come in."

"People with narcissistic personality disorder are extremely resistant to changing their behavior, even when it’s causing them problems. Their tendency is to turn the blame on to others. What’s more, they are extremely sensitive and react badly to even the slightest criticisms, disagreements, or perceived slights, which they view as personal attacks."

That being said, could I ask as a favour if people would take discussions of mental health issues to the old mental health thread or create a new one?

That being said, maybe some day a thread about LBGTQXYZ (honestly no idea what letters are used today) would be an idea, to discuss why people are so afraid and insecure when dealing with people that are different from themselves (or things they don't understand). A problem with society that is not necessarily a political problem, but one of psychology and intellectual shortcomings.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

You might not be doing yourself any favours (other than the fun of it of course) when dealing with certain personality types like aforementioned sharp_one... ;)

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder.htm

" It’s more accurate to say that people with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) are in love with an idealized, grandiose image of themselves. And they’re in love with this inflated self-image precisely because it allows them to avoid deep feelings of insecurity. But propping up their delusions of grandeur takes a lot of work—and that’s where the dysfunctional attitudes and behaviors come in."

"People with narcissistic personality disorder are extremely resistant to changing their behavior, even when it’s causing them problems. Their tendency is to turn the blame on to others. What’s more, they are extremely sensitive and react badly to even the slightest criticisms, disagreements, or perceived slights, which they view as personal attacks."

That being said, could I ask as a favour if people would take discussions of mental health issues to the old mental health thread or create a new one?

That being said, maybe some day a thread about LBGTQXYZ (honestly no idea what letters are used today) would be an idea, to discuss why people are so afraid and insecure when dealing with people that are different from themselves (or things they don't understand). A problem with society that is not necessarily a political problem, but one of psychology and intellectual shortcomings.

To sum it up: Don’t wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Trump Wanted His Justice Department to Stop ‘SNL’ From Teasing Him

am no expert, and admitted using trump as a guide for constructing general rules for dealing with narcissists is likely flawed, but we work with what we got. trump were disproportionate concerned with his (self) image as being smarty, successful and strongk. threaten those fundamentals and the pig squealed, yes?

is the extent o' our powers o' psychoanalysis.

perhaps related...

‘Willing to Go to Jail': Rudy Giuliani Calls Ukraine Investigation ‘Lawless'

were s'posed to be an interview 'bout upcoming 20th anniversary o' 9/11. unfortunate, these guys can't help themselves, yes?

reports suggest rudy needs money and trump ain't gonna pay rudy's legal bills. is admitted a tough call for trump 'cause pay legal bills is tacit recognition rudy were acting on trump's behalf when he did outrageous and illegal. not pay and rudy motivation to protect trump decreases.

what happens when you got multiple narcissists who can't shut up? is fine for the piggies when they need only explain selves to the base or to republicans in Congress. is tougher for the narcissists when prosecutors and/or a judge gets involved. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

I can't blame you there, there has been some really ludicrously long initialisms that has been proposed that people can't keep track of. LGBT+ or LGBTQI+ usually works though.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 hours ago, Amentep said:

Yes, Amentep is right. Please stop hijacking this thread, rather do that on the gaming thread :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Gorth said:

"

Interestingly enough there is a valid debate about both intentional and unintentional usage and expectation of the words " LGBTxxx" 

In your example you are raising a legitimate issue how it can be confusing for people not part of this group. I always use the words LGBT and no one including my gay friends and family members has an issue with it and calls me out by saying things like " you must refer to us as LGBTQ+ " or similar. And this is because  when you support gay rights as a straight person most gay people support this sentiment and dont nitpick

But then people can be dismissive of the broader point of what LGBT stands for and say things like " I dont understand all these complicated names " and intentionally get the framing wrong 

And then their is a small group within LGBT that intentionally and mischievously  call out people who are just confused to make a big deal about it and accuse them of being homophobic 

But I have never met LGBT like that in RL and none of my gay friends are like that but I have heard them on talk shows and read their comments in different Internet mediums

Whats more important is " do you support the same rights that straight people have that gay people should also have " ? Thats more significant that those that want to disrupt  that point because of how we frame things. It boils down to  a simple question "do you believe that people born a certain way should be discriminated against because of their sexual orientation "

And since we dont accept bigotry because of race and gender we shouldnt accept homophobia 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I can't blame you there, there has been some really ludicrously long initialisms that has been proposed that people can't keep track of. LGBT+ or LGBTQI+ usually works though.

That one is easy, just use "disgusting people who go against the natural order of things as mandated by god!" or DPWGATNOOTAMBD!

Much easier to remember, and more on point. :yes:

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/citing-taliban-violence-us-expands-afghan-refugee-program-79212440

This is an excellent initiative from the Biden presidency and definitely the right thing to do considering the targeting of anyone in Afghanistan from the barbaric Taliban who helped the US in the last 20 years

The Taliban will execute  people like any  Afghan translators they find out about so this granting of citizenship to certain refugees is understandable 

Well done Biden for doing the right thing !!!

John Milton 

The Taliban is disorganized and far less capable than it once was. The Afghan government is reasonably well armed and trained. But everyone seems to expect the Taliban will be back in control of the country within a year. What a mess. 

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

The Taliban is disorganized and far less capable than it once was. The Afghan government is reasonably well armed and trained. But everyone seems to expect the Taliban will be back in control of the country within a year. What a mess. 

Yeah they not that organized in the traditional military sense,  you right. But they dont need to be organized to kill Afghan translators, bomb schools that educate women and continue to destabilize the country now that the US is leaving 

But its time to leave as much as I have real concern for the future of Afghanistan 

John Milton 

17 hours ago, Sarex said:

Is Oby back?

If only.  These Westlings cry out for purifying fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Never underestimate the importance of motivation. The Taliban believe in their cause. Government troops believe in the paycheck that may or may not pay their next rent... if it doesn't bounce because the government is broke.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In before GD posts how much the IRS collects 😛

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra