Jedi Sentinel

I would like to see the classes tweeked a bit. Sentinal will be a little more useful anyway as skills are due to be more important in the sequal and this class gets the most skill points (of those avalable to the PC).

One way to improve Sentinal would be to give them a force stealth power, possibly upgrading to invisibility at high levels. It would also be appropiate for them to get the new force sense power for free. The imunities where dull and unuseful.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

What exacly was "the flaws" with the sentinel?

"The Sentinel" was a show on a TV where this cop had extreme sensory powers. The flaws were, whenever he used them, he'd sort've zone out., so he had this anthropologist guy as a sidekick to snap him out of it whenever things got hairy. :-

Actually, the main complaint I think was that the Force Immunities didn't come into play often, and while he had good skills, skills weren't utilized that often. So he wasn't that useful.

What exacly was "the flaws" with the sentinel?

They where to much second rate consular combined with second rate guardian, without having any unique role of there own.

Part of the problem was the special class feats. The Guardian's leap encoraged them to charge into melee combat, hence strengthening them in that role. The Consular's force focus made them more effective with offensive force powers, again strengthening them in thier role.

The Sentinal's immunites did not suggest the character be used in any particular role. They should have had unique stealth or detection abilities instead.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I agree with Tyrell. My first play through in KotOR was as a sentinel, because I wasn't sure what to pick. I wasn't dissatisfied either... I mean immunity does come in useful when on the harder levels (Star Forge etc). Malak wasn't too hard, I admit he's easier as a full blown consular/guardian but in between it was a fair match. Then again, I never used sentinel after that...

To be honest, I never noticed any differences between the three Jedi classes (which isn't to say there isn't any, I just never noticed it while playing thru). I noticed the difficulty difference between the beginning classes (Soldier, Scout, Scoundrel), mainly because the Soldier seemed to have such an easier time killing enemies. But when it came to the Jedi classes, I never really noticed any advantages/disadvantages to playing any of the three.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yes, a Jedi Sentinel should be the universal class. However, in KotOR, it was not. It possessed the flaws of the guardian as well as the flaws of the consular, while boasting the strengths of neither guardian nor consular.

It has a consular's BAB progression, a consular's feat progression, and an inability to specialize in the lightsaber. However, it lacked the consular's force power progression and innate force-power enhancing feats. A sentinel will gain an extra 2 hp per level over a consular, true, but that hardly begins to make up for its other defficiencies.

The sentinel has an inferior BAB progression relative to the guardian, inferior feat progression relative to the guardian, and an inability to specialize in the lightsaber, as guardians can. Sentinels also get 2 less hp per level. The one advantage that the class has over a guardian is the extra 2 force points it gains per level. However, considering that a jedi gains one extra force point for every level that his charisma and wisdom attributes exceed '10' (i.e. - a jedi with 11 charisma and 10 wisdom will gain one extra force point per level), base force points are rather insignificant in the scope of things.

I never used Jedi Sentinel either since it seemed they didn't have any unique powers. I think the Sentinel, Gaurdian and Consular classes will come back in the second game. Then the new classes will be similar. Jedi weapon master is similar to gaurdian, watchman is like sentinel, and Jedi Master is like Jedi Consular.

My big hope is, that the Sentinel and especially Watchman will be a little more useful in KotOR:TSL. In KotOR1 I always preferred Sentinel over Guardian and Consular, because I didn't want to use the force well and be a really weak bastard, who would be struck down by Malak with two hits - and vice versa. I wanted to be something equal. But horribly I found, that the Sentinel fights as well as a consular and uses force as well as a guardian.

The Sentinel should have it's own strenghts, i.e. he had immunity to fear and stun, but i'd say, give him a total immunity (like Force Immunity, but always active). And because of the equality of the class, it should still have a little piece of Consular and a piece of Guardian. i.e the consular had three levels of Force Focus, the third level (master force focus) gave the consular +4 DC to force powers. I would recommend, that the sentinel should have at least the first level of force focus, what would give him +1 DC to force powers. And also they should include a slightly bigger attack bonus, than the consular has, to bring the sentinel a little closer to a Guardian.

And of course, they could always punch in some more free feats.. :blink:

I think instead of the immunities you should just get a choice of either force focus or force jump if its basically just a combination class.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's worth considering that in the P&P game there was no Sentinal class, but you could multiclass freely between Consular and Guardian if you wanted an intermediate character.

I would prefer to see the Sentinal made into a distinctive detective or steath specalist class though.

I've always felt that the Sentinel should have been more rogue inspired since it is basically a sneaky Jedi. Perhaps it should be given sneak attack just as the rogue and some other bonuses such as a superior sneak skill to compensate for its rather pissy feat progression and BAB.

Whatever is done to the Sentinel I just hope that it gets a major overhaul since it's too much of a jack of all trades, master of none deal right now.

A sneak attack would probably make the Sentinal overpowered, and it is a bit unjedish anyway. I hope the Sith Assassin gets some kind of death attack though.

How about these bonus force powers to replace the immunities:

Level 1: Force Sense

Level 6: Force Stealth (as used by OB1 on Death Star) works like steath but no belt required, force points consumed, wis and dex bonuses added to skill.

Level 12: Force Invisibility (exclusive power) Works like stealth but can disapear in plain sight of enemies.

It's worth considering that in the P&P game there was no Sentinal class, but you could multiclass freely between Consular and Guardian if you wanted an intermediate character.

Actually, no you couldn't multiclass between Guardian and Counselor. You could multiclass between a base Jedi class and a Jedi Prestige Class, but not between the two base Jedi classes. Maybe you house-ruled it in your group?

Actually, no you couldn't multiclass between Guardian and Counselor. You could multiclass between a base Jedi class and a Jedi Prestige Class, but not between the two base Jedi classes. Maybe you house-ruled it in your group?

Miss read the rules if you are right! :rolleyes:

No one actually did this, but we assumed you could.

Actually I've P&Ped much more with the earlier West End Games rules.

Part of the problem stems from the fact that skills don't seem that great in KOTOR.

Furthermore, you can use the non-Jedi PCs as skill-farms. Use them to flesh out whatever skills you want and load up on feats for your MC.