randoM vidEo gAme News

Amentep

Dunno, my experience with small american towns is pretty limited. : >

/Edit: I just think the bits of the town shown in the trailer are looking super creepy, and I'm not sure if I could sleep there peacefully at night. Like, if something looks too good to be true, I just can't trust it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

It's pretty sad that we've reached the point that the games industry is remastering 5 year old games. 

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

Yeah, I was thinking as a free update, sure, but if you have to buy it again ... ehhh.

Also, that town in LiS3 ... is that really how small american towns look like? It feels completely unbelievable to me. More like a cult-site or something.

Well LiS 1 had some relatively weak character textures, poor lip syncing and some bad animations, so prettying it up is a good idea. But yeah, making me buy it again is a pretty lame attempt on my wallet.

The town is meant to be idyllic, saying they overshot it is fair, but at the same time there's a murder so a feeling of too-good-to-be-true could be intentional on their part. Hopefully they don't take a cue from 2 and make the villains a secret Trump voting KKK cult or whatever.

On 3/17/2021 at 8:31 AM, Wormerine said:

I don't know what @kanisatha has exact problem with but from myself:

1) technical issues: UI is tedious and not fit for purpose. It's the same how they shipped two previous games, and DnD makes it worse. I refunded EA purchase on this base alone. 

2) I dislike some of DnD designs in cRPG setting so I am all for modifications, but I found Larian's changes to be detrimental - it's far too easy to gain high chances to hit thanks to how easy it is to gain advantage via hight or backstab. That paired with riddiculus movement and being able to effortlesly bypass engagements through bonus actions jump&push, means I use spells sporadically, fights tended to be very repetitive, as same tools dominated every encounter. The only one fight I had to do extra was a hag fight, as it had scripted boss stages - not necessarly bad, but I must say - playing BG3 didn't feel like DnD - and while I am not familiar with 5e, the short Solasta demo I played... did. Larian seems to try to impliment their D:OS2 design philosophy into DnD systems, which I find problematic - not because DnD>D:OS2, but because both are quite different. I think they are in danger of doing neither good DnD nor a good D:OS3 game. It is not about game being too easy - it's about making core DnD systems irrelevant due to easily accessible solutions. 

I feel in all fairness since such passionate opinions of why BG3 isn't a good game were made, it is only fair to add that it isn't a bad game at all.  I have found it one of the most challenging and interesting RPGs I have played in years, and though I was skeptical too it would be very much like DOS 1/2 just with DnD rules, it is very much its own experience, and I am like 60 hours in and starting to love it more and more.

I will offer only one other perspective since comparing it to Solasta and then commenting on the disengagement mechanic is somewhat erroneous.  Solasta to has a disengagement mechanic, you push a button and then can walk out of any engagement.  BG3 just did it slightly different by making it an action such as pushing or jumping out of the way.  While I agree they could of made jumping into dodging perhaps, both Solasta and BG3 have the same disengagement mechanic, its just BG made it "hell" (get it hell) of cooler by turning it into an action.  I think BG3 did okay by the rules ... I have my gripes about the game too, no day/night cycle the major one, but in my humble, probably ignored opinion the game is good.

• Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

A not-uncommon opinion is that BG3 is a case of Larian ruining a D&D game. But I'm more inclined to say that BG3 is a case of D&D ruining a Larian game.

Okay, maybe "ruining" is too strong a word. I don't dislike the game as such. Perhaps it's good that Larian are held back from some of their most lavish immersion-breaking tendencies. But many times it does really feel like the D&D licence is a strait-jacket that stifles the overall design direction - many D&D tropes are after all immutable and sacrosanct and I would not expect and subversion of these to be allowed by the terms of the licence. Furthermore, I did find that the worst parts of my experience tended to come whenever it tried to lean really hard into rolling that ol' d20 for outcomes.

Now, there's a good counter-argument that "failure is interesting", and in principle I agree. But practically speaking, having checks structured in the way that they are increases the number of potential outcomes by 50% (and that's assuming a single roll situation, many times the game demands multiple consecutive rolls for success), and the extra writing and scripting required quickly explodes to levels unmanageable by any game developer if they want to keep all the branches interesting and unique. The reality then becomes that the "failure" state simply becomes the mindless fallback of hostilities breaking out. It's like games where failing a pickpocket attempt similarly turns an entire town hostile, it's not a useful or interesting turn of events and just leads to save-scumming.

• Like 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

6 hours ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

Solasta to has a disengagement mechanic, you push a button and then can walk out of any engagement.  BG3 just did it slightly different by making it an action such as pushing or jumping out of the way.  While I agree they could of made jumping into dodging perhaps, both Solasta and BG3 have the same disengagement mechanic, its just BG made it "hell" (get it hell) of cooler by turning it into an action.

Isn’t disengage in Solasta and DND 5e a standard action? (That’s what I believe, but didn’t play either)
In BG3 push/jump being a bonus actions means that that getting out of engagement is not a commitment. With high enough strength jumping moves you farther then walking. And archer can jump away, move to a high ground and still perform an attack of an opportunity - engaging the enemy or getting engaged means nothing. You can perform a standard attack and still roll a bonus chance on instantly killing/putting at great disadvantage an enemy with a bonus push. Jump make it easy to appear in a backstab/high ground, which then adds advantage just doubling the issue. 

I can understand merging jump and disengage into one action, but jump/push are too powerful and too easily available when combined with free advantage when backstabbing/attacking from height. At the very least both should be standard actions, and on top of that I think advantage is just too much. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Isn’t disengage in Solasta and DND 5e a standard action? (That’s what I believe, but didn’t play either)
In BG3 push/jump being a bonus actions means that that getting out of engagement is not a commitment. With high enough strength jumping moves you farther then walking. And archer can jump away, move to a high ground and still perform an attack of an opportunity - engaging the enemy or getting engaged means nothing. You can perform a standard attack and still roll a bonus chance on instantly killing/putting at great disadvantage an enemy with a bonus push. Jump make it easy to appear in a backstab/high ground, which then adds advantage just doubling the issue. 

I can understand merging jump and disengage into one action, but jump/push are too powerful and too easily available when combined with free advantage when backstabbing/attacking from height. At the very least both should be standard actions, and on top of that I think advantage is just too much. 

EDIT - I was totally wrong below, Wormerine you are right, haven't been trying to disengage much with my melee fighters so never noticed.  But Jump / Disengage is a bonus action for the moment, and agree it should be changed to a standard action, I am not so sure about push though I would keep it as a bonus action.

Jump is a "standard" action so you can't attacks after so it would count as the official "disengage" action, while push is a bonus action but it is based on a D20 roll to hit, so it doesn't always land, and while you can push someone down, run away and shoot them with a bow, knocking someone down doesn't cancel their turn or take away an action from them (it takes away from how far they can move), so you wouldn't officially disengage unless you move far enough away from them after you push them down as they can stand up an threaten you again.  It's not bad as the playing field is even in these terms, and have been pushed from a perch myself by an enemy.

It's all a matter of taste really, I find the challenge of the game interesting not so much in that each encounter it presents you with is impossible to overcome, but more that each encounter has a particular obstacle to tackle, and if I just walk in without stopping to consider my options, my party either gets beat to a pulp or totally wiped, and this doesn't just include combat encounters but each situation is pretty unique ... and I have made some role playing choices already that have come back to hurt which ups the stakes in the choices I make even greater.  I don't mind Larian games in general though, so I am really getting into the challenge of each new encounter, trying to get past them on the first attempt is really slowing the game down for me and making me think.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

somehow I went to edit and double posted too

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

19 hours ago, Humanoid said:

A not-uncommon opinion is that BG3 is a case of Larian ruining a D&D game. But I'm more inclined to say that BG3 is a case of D&D ruining a Larian game.

Okay, maybe "ruining" is too strong a word. I don't dislike the game as such. Perhaps it's good that Larian are held back from some of their most lavish immersion-breaking tendencies. But many times it does really feel like the D&D licence is a strait-jacket that stifles the overall design direction - many D&D tropes are after all immutable and sacrosanct and I would not expect and subversion of these to be allowed by the terms of the licence. Furthermore, I did find that the worst parts of my experience tended to come whenever it tried to lean really hard into rolling that ol' d20 for outcomes.

Now, there's a good counter-argument that "failure is interesting", and in principle I agree. But practically speaking, having checks structured in the way that they are increases the number of potential outcomes by 50% (and that's assuming a single roll situation, many times the game demands multiple consecutive rolls for success), and the extra writing and scripting required quickly explodes to levels unmanageable by any game developer if they want to keep all the branches interesting and unique. The reality then becomes that the "failure" state simply becomes the mindless fallback of hostilities breaking out. It's like games where failing a pickpocket attempt similarly turns an entire town hostile, it's not a useful or interesting turn of events and just leads to save-scumming.

I completely agree with this as a critique of D&D. I myself have often ranted about my intense dislike of everything depending on a die roll in D&D. However, I stand by my critique of the "Larian" parts of BG3. Larian obviously considers those systems in BG3 that are imports from their D:OS games to be cool and awesome. I strongly disagree, and find them to be aggravating, silly, and immersion-breaking.

PSN will shut down PS3, Vita and PSP stores, so if you have anything bought and not downloaded, you should make a backup copy soon...

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/03/22/ps3-ps-vita-and-psp-stores-are-closing-permanently-this-year-according-to-new-report

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On 3/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, Keyrock said:

I'll wait for the inevitable 4.01 hotfix coming in a few days before downloading the new expansion and jumping back into X4;)

Aaaaaand it's here. The hotfix has arrived just as predicted. It's almost as if I have been playing Egosoft games for well over a decade and have been through this exact situation numerous times.:-

Downloading now.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 3/19/2021 at 1:09 AM, Keyrock said:

It's pretty sad that we've reached the point that the games industry is remastering 5 year old games. 

Won't be long before I'll figure why bother buying on original release - wait 2-3 years and you'll get the new and improved, extra features, no bugs,  remaster version.

Y'all developers/publishers aren't tricking me into double-buying again! Nope, nosiree, neveragainever! What? No that isn't a bridge in my pocket.  :shifty:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

PSN will shut down PS3, Vita and PSP stores, so if you have anything bought and not downloaded, you should make a backup copy soon...

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/03/22/ps3-ps-vita-and-psp-stores-are-closing-permanently-this-year-according-to-new-report

But they only write that you can't buy games anymore. They don't mention you can't download bought games.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Weird, did they allow the current version?

Good advertisement to make people more interested in the Final Cut, I guess.

9 hours ago, Lexx said:

But they only write that you can't buy games anymore. They don't mention you can't download bought games.

It's Sony, you never know, but I always expect the worst case scenario, after they moved from Japan to California 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

1 hour ago, Mamoulian War said:

It's Sony, you never know, but I always expect the worst case scenario, after they moved from Japan to California 🤷‍♂️

Japan is the 3rd strongest economy in the world what are they doing moving to the heart of the Empire?

Oh right it's a business, I'm sure they're just capitalizing on the weeaboos here throwing their money at anything Japan.

Upon reflection, why Sega got destroyed in the console market was conservative Japanese executives wishing to remain independent and "Japanese"

I guess Sony is taking the diametrically opposite approach to what Sega did because of prior algorithms.

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

Weird, did they allow the current version?

Good advertisement to make people more interested in the Final Cut, I guess.

The original never required submission to the ratings board in the first place. They don't rate every single title that's only available digitally on PC.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

So Brothers in Arms, but exclusively urban.

Might be interesting.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken