Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The story overall seems good to me, especially if you get invested in the world and the side missions, but then again that is true for most games. The worst part of the story is that it's a slow burn in the beginning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that CP actually bothers to treat it's protagonist like a human being and takes time out to portray and address their mental health is enough to make me adore the game on it's own.
Every time a game leads into that topic but then goes "...but you're an ultimate badass so I know x doesn't bother you" I groan out loud at the wasted potential.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the small things. Talking a guy down from rabid cyberpsychosis PTSD, persuading him he shouldn't turn into lone assassin / terrorist as he should remember being an honorable soldier... Then you turn away, walk through a door and suddenly Boom from behind, turn around, and find the guy had decided to instead commit suicide.

It's cyberpunk. It's rare to get a clean right/wrong approach to things.

  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raithe said:

It's the small things. Talking a guy down from rabid cyberpsychosis PTSD, persuading him he shouldn't turn into lone assassin / terrorist as he should remember being an honorable soldier... Then you turn away, walk through a door and suddenly Boom from behind, turn around, and find the guy had decided to instead commit suicide.

It's cyberpunk. It's rare to get a clean right/wrong approach to things.

Well then there's the PTSD commando who clips through the floor so you can beat her unconscious easily.  But then you can't help her out 😛  Did a funny side quest to get some old records of Johnny's (Keanu's voice acting is pretty hit and miss I am finding).   Also slept with the corpo chick from the 1st Act which...really seems to be out fo the blue :lol:

Also following up on the performance, I upped it to medium and with my 980 at 1920x1200 I am getting average of 36 FPS.

 

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malcador said:

 Also slept with the corpo chick from the 1st Act which...really seems to be out fo the blue :lol:

That was pretty much the definition of a high-paid, high-stress Executive deciding to slum it for thrills.  The whole thing was somewhat disturbingly sleazy, and a little bit off-putting. 😄

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking back to how I chose the "wrong" Origin in the first Dragon Age game, which coloured my perception of the rest of the game for the worst, I'm thinking of reading at least some light spoilers for each of the prologues before committing to one. I don't know how important the prologue is, but picking one that allows me to stay properly in character feels somewhat important.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oner said:

The fact that CP actually bothers to treat it's protagonist like a human being and takes time out to portray and address their mental health is enough to make me adore the game on it's own.
Every time a game leads into that topic but then goes "...but you're an ultimate badass so I know x doesn't bother you" I groan out loud at the wasted potential.

With you on this. The voice actress for V is great and those moments immediately after she gets a bullet in the head after the heist gone wrong and up to when she leaves the apartment are probably the first instances in which I've heard something resembling genuine despair from a video game protagonist. 

  • Like 3
Quote
"Turned wrong way round, the relentless unforeseen was what we schoolchildren studied as 'History,' harmless history, where everything unexpected in its own time is chronicled on the page as inevitable. The terror of the unforeseen is what the science of history hides, turning a disaster into an epic.”

 

-Philip Roth, The Plot Against America

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The conversation with the doll was nice. Will say they do a good job of making you care about some characters. 

Felt good to kill Placide.

  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone care to tell me approx. "how long" it takes before the whole city opens up (outside of typical blocked off dungeons/quest areas ofc), main story wise? eg, if you only do the main questline.

Sidenote: this doesn't really feel like a game where running around on foot, outside of a few obvious places, is the best thing to do, immersion wise.  You start noticing way too many weird AI, graphic, and "busy city" background scripting things that completely break immersion.  Like the traffic headlights that appear and stop then disappear at the same spot on the freeway (they never get closer) or cars stopping/piling up in the middle of the freeway because they're obviously not scripted to go any farther but can't disappear while you're staring at them.  One time I walked down a street, saw a filler NPC walking by, turned a corner and the exact same filler NPC was walking towards me again. The overall illusion of a busy city is good as long as you aren't paying close attention, but the AI/pathing/scripting of background is quite terrible. :lol: 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
Link to post
Share on other sites

They announced they would refund console users if they don't want to wait for patches/updates, along with an apology for not showing last-gen console gameplay so ppl knew what to expect and for not making it perform better in the 1st place. I suppose that's nice of them but I'm still kind of  :lol:

cyberpunk-apology.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

They announced they would refund console users if they don't want to wait for patches/updates, along with an apology for not showing last-gen console gameplay so ppl knew what to expect and for not making it perform better in the 1st place. I suppose that's nice of them but I'm still kind of  :lol:

cyberpunk-apology.jpg

That's terribly quick to fall on ones sword.
You'd almost think they coincidentally failed to show bad gameplay mechanics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm. First game breaking bug I've encountered. The "Lighting Strikes" mission starts, I get in the car with Panam, and then it goes into an infinite loading screen.

Guess I'll go try out a few other missions before re-trying it.

 

Edit:

I also like that they have an in-game reason for why you're solo-ing the majority of things. A conversation with Rogue where she points out that your first big-leagues mission went catastrophically wrong, your partner died, your fixer died, all the people associated with it died, and you're the last person standing. So either you're a dangerous liability or you have bad luck and no superstitious merc will work with you, hence no fixer will ask a team to include you in it.

Of course, this has a slight lack of coherency in that by the time she told me that I've already raised my Street Cred to 50. But then again, there seems to be the Street Cred reputation for access to things, and that "story" reputation that only goes up with certain key missions.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gimme Danger (I am liking their use of song names for missions, Big in Japan should have been a bigger mission...) seemed to bug out. Killed a guard but someone with no LOS then saw the body. Mission got weirder after that watching the AI on alert basically all run to one spot and stand around, did make sneaking somewhat easier but still ended up having to gun everyone down. :lol:

 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, algroth said:

Now that's punk!

Jim always coming in with the goods.

I've stopped following him months ago when he went off the deep end tbh. Around the time he made a video desperately trying to justify Abby's muscle mass.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that gave me very little information of any relevance, and 20 minutes of him ranting about the harassment of reviewers for daring not to give something a score over 9 out of 10.  I'm glad I only had that running in the background while I was doing other things, or I'd feel that was 20 minutes badly spent.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well hopefully he pisses off some CDPR **** riders with it, then at least it'd be useful.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, algroth said:

Now that's punk!

Jim always coming in with the goods.

What I've heard is the game doesn't let you kill cops because there is no driving AI and has a couple of bits that could be references to white nationalist (or worse, reddit) memes, which is pretty ****. Wish there was more of that instead of just 20 minutes of ****ting on people who need to defend corporations tbh, but it wasn't bad.

"I am the expert, asshat." - Hurlshot

"I'm fine with humanity being wiped out" - majestic

"I won't say what just in case KaineParker is reading" - Bartimaeus

"Oh no! Is there super secret ending as well? I don’t care." - Wormerine

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Oner said:

Awww, are they hogging it from you? Poor guy.

What are you talking about ?  But the only value I've seen from Stirling is just seeing who he's wound up more than anything.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Raithe said:

I also like that they have an in-game reason for why you're solo-ing the majority of things. A conversation with Rogue where she points out that your first big-leagues mission went catastrophically wrong, your partner died, your fixer died, all the people associated with it died, and you're the last person standing. So either you're a dangerous liability or you have bad luck and no superstitious merc will work with you, hence no fixer will ask a team to include you in it.

Of course, this has a slight lack of coherency in that by the time she told me that I've already raised my Street Cred to 50. But then again, there seems to be the Street Cred reputation for access to things, and that "story" reputation that only goes up with certain key missions.

Well, I don't know if it's the same conversation we're both thinking of, but you can also turn that around on Rogue.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always took that as Rogue just not wanting to work with you, not an explanation of why you're working alone.  Sort of a silly argument from her anyway, you've done one job and lost crew members, not like it was a streak of casualties and given the way they talk about mercs in the game, there's heavy risk.

  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...