Cyberpunk 2077

ShadySands

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

They were working hard on reputation of being special and it backfired on them.
I doubt they will be ever able to recover that. 

Nah, I havent even played Cyberpunk yet and I already forgive CDPR

Games sometimes get released with bugs, its not the end of the world and historical evidence definitely supports the view that the gaming company still survives and can even thrive 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Bethsoft releases buggy games constantly and the sales don't care.

And there games are normally excellent 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sad little console peasants. Cry your tears, I feast on them.

:p

Almost makes me want to buy the game right away even though I probably can't run it properly with my second generation i5 and the GTX 970, never mind having enough free space on the hard disk (and no SSD to reduce loading times).

• Haha 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This negative buzz is weird from my perspective because if you set aside the bugs and performance issues, it really is an impressive game. Huge world, great characters, decent gameplay and solid character progression. Of course, I didn't really pay much attention to the hype ahead of time. Were people expecting to really plug into cyberspace or something?

What other game compares to it in terms of a fully realized city?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, they always fall back to goddamn GTA V. As if the two are anywhere remotely comparable except them both having vehicles and a city.

• Thanks 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

This negative buzz is weird from my perspective because if you set aside the bugs and performance issues, it really is an impressive game. Huge world, great characters, decent gameplay and solid character progression. Of course, I didn't really pay much attention to the hype ahead of time. Were people expecting to really plug into cyberspace or something?

Well, city is not fully realized, there are a lot of people who've complained about it. But it's serviceable.  Oddly enough one thing I was disappointed with was the soundtrack, only the credits song and V's theme caught me.  That Pain song on the radio though was great :)

I understand people being upset as they were told it would run on their console and it not actually doing so. 

But eh, it's people hating on a corporation, should not bother anyone :p

Was hoping to get the secret ending but looks like I didn't bond with Keanu enough.  Probably too low level anyway, my mage would struggle in the Matrix Lobby shootout, anyway.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Was hoping to get the secret ending but looks like I didn't bond with Keanu enough.  Probably too low level anyway, my mage would struggle in the Matrix Lobby shootout, anyway.

That just depends on the dialog choices when you visit Johnny's grave. People have done it with 50% sync.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Yakuza.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

54 minutes ago, Sarex said:

That just depends on the dialog choices when you visit Johnny's grave. People have done it with 50% sync.

Ah ok, could have sworn I chose properly there.  Guess I have a whole lot of stuff to replay, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

39 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Ah ok, could have sworn I chose properly there.  Guess I have a whole lot of stuff to replay, hah.

https://www.gamesradar.com/cyberpunk-2077-secret-ending/

The video gives you the details you need, without spoiling too much.

Spoiler

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Nah, I havent even played Cyberpunk yet and I already forgive CDPR

I played it plenty and forgave them too.
But our gracious forbearance means little to the previous-gen console gamers that found it practically unplayable.

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Games sometimes get released with bugs, its not the end of the world and historical evidence definitely supports the view that the gaming company still survives and can even thrive 

This is much bigger then most other cases of buggy games.
CD project stock tanked by at least 30% and they are not a part of a huge publisher that can absorb blows like this easily.
However much money they have made initially will now be tied up in refunds and legal action.
And to even start salvaging their reputation they will now have to contribute serious resources to fixes and maybe offer DLC for free.

I bet that at CD project's managerial and board meeting there are already daggers being hidden and cups being poisoned. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-save-files-over-8mb-may-become-permanently-corrupt?

Likely most affect people who use the item duplication glitch to get a ridiculous amount of stuff in their inventory...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

31 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Likely most affect people who use the item duplication glitch to get a ridiculous amount of stuff in their inventory...

Nope.  People in that CDR forum thread I linked to earlier said it happened to them and all they did was pick up everything and disassemble it.  They didn't even craft hardly at all or hoard much of anything.
Which is about what I've been doing. My first Manual0 Save is 1MB (in the garage Nomad start) so that seems to be about the minimum/starting size.  I'm still in Chapt. 1 (The Heist is the next story mission) and it's at over 2MB now.  Almost all the manual saves go up by 100-400kb each time.  I've done one "Gig".  Everything else was just running all over the open world area, killing gansters, picking up every single piece of ground/box litter and disassembling. I haven't crafted a single thing, used any of the food/drink machines, and bought one item from a clothing shop. I have 2 melee weapons, four guns and 5 or six clothing items in inventory, about the same in the room stash.   Edit: I think I had about 1800 common crafting and 500 green/uncommon crafting components, but don't quote me on that

I'm kind of afraid to play now.  Based on the size of the full map, if I played the same way the entire time, I'd reach 7 or 8MB before I finished the main story.  😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I should note that it's true that many (most?) people may never reach said limit.  Most people don't pick up everything or craft a lot or care about getting crafting XP (which is why they're hoarding crafting materials), kill every gangster, etc.  They play, finish, quit. You might end up with 6-7mb saves that way.  But being an open world type of game you're going to get people who play in such a way that is going to bloat the save long before they finish the game. Such a game that doesn't allow for this type of playstyle is rather weird - "don't craft, loot, explore so much" is not a great answer,lol.  It's still unknown exactly what the true cause/actions are/may be, but various testing by players has shown the "bloat" occurring and that many actions do not then reduce said bloat.

One person's theory:

So what I've been reading here and what I know regarding file IO handling (I'm a programmer and a game developer, just not at CDPR), this looks like an issue of buffer overflowing.
If that's true, then it would explain everything, starting from the magic number 8,192kb (2*2^12), through corrupted savefiles not being recoverable, as per official response, and why the game is entering unresponsive state.

1) 8,192kb (2*2^12) is a neat number, a clean number and a power of 2 compliant; programmers like power of 2s, so that makes me believe it's a hardcoded limit: a buffer size;

2) buffer is an intermediary between save file and game memory. First the game loads byte by byte into the buffer, then it reads the buffer and pick up words to make up the gamestate. And saving is simply putting gamestate word by word into the buffer, than byte by byte into the file. So if the gamestate exceeds buffer size, the information outside of the 8MB limit is forever lost if saved to a file; hence saved files that are of 8,192kbs are forever corrupted, which holds true to the released official statement.

3) why the game enters endless unresponsive state is basically the how a parser is made. A kind of save file reader, if you will. Common practice is making an endless (while) loop, which would read word by word from the save file, until reaching a special character called EOF: End of File. Then it would exit the loop and restore the gamestate from that savefile. But because buffer was overflown while saving, that means that special character is not present, and never reached; hence endless reading.

That is all IF the buffer size assumption is true. I don't know for sure if it's the case here, and what I've written above is nothing but an educated guess. Rembember, I'm not a CDPR dev, so I don't have the source code or the tools to test my hypothesis.

There's also a user.ini that you can tweak to apparently disable the auto-saves, not clear if that helps anything.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts