Technology of KOTOR

does anyone else think that the technology level in the game is nearly equal to the level in movies, considering the 4000 year gap this seems iffy

I do, like at the end of the darkside side of your game your in those imperal ships from the original sw movies.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

does anyone else think that the technology level in the game is nearly equal to the level in movies, considering the 4000 year gap this seems iffy

Advancements between this time period and 4000 years later during the Empire's time just aren't that frequent. I mean, how many advances in technology occured between the fall of the Minoans and the rise of the Roman Empire some 3000 years later? :p

One of the most apparent differences is capital ship technologies. The Leviathan-type ships clearly has inferior defenses and systems compared to those seen in the movies like the Trade Federation Battleships, Imperial Star Destroyers, and Mon Calimari cruisers. I mean, the impact of Malak simply firing on Revan's ship nearly caused Revan to become braindead from the concussion! The crew of the Executor didn't have anything to worry about, until the shield system failed...... :wacko:

Advancements between this time period and 4000 years later during the Empire's time just aren't that frequent. I mean, how many advances in technology occured between the fall of the Minoans and the rise of the Roman Empire some 3000 years later? :p

One of the most apparent differences is capital ship technologies. The Leviathan-type ships clearly has inferior defenses and systems compared to those seen in the movies like the Trade Federation Battleships, Imperial Star Destroyers, and Mon Calimari cruisers. I mean, the impact of Malak simply firing on Revan's ship nearly caused Revan to become braindead from the concussion! The crew of the Executor didn't have anything to worry about, until the shield system failed...... :wacko:

I think that the ships shields were already down since the Jedi assualt force had landed on the ship. When Malak fired on Revan's ship it seems to have already been severly damaged, with its shields down, and probably alreay having sustained damage to its active defensive systems. I also think starwars.com is wrong on their description of the Leviathan class warships, they seem to be larger then even the Imperial Star Destroyers.

Yeah the shields of Revan's battleship were down.

However, the technology in KOTOR is inferior to the movie tech, like an origonal Apple Macintosh is to an brand new IMac. The Leviathan, according to starwars.com, is slightly smaller than the Republic "Acclamator" assault ships from AOTC (600 meters v. 752 meters) so it is easy to compare them.

sagahasbroaccla.jpg

(model of a Republic Acclamator Class Assault Ship)

The Leviathan was the first ship to have prototype interdictor technology, however the tech is considered "inefficient by modern standards." (sw.com) The Leviathan had 20 quad laser batteries (similar, though probally weaker than the turrets that are on the top and bottom of the Millinium Falcon) and only four turbolasers. The Acclamator, in comparison, has 12 turbolaser batteries, 24 laser cannons, and 4 missle tubes. So in the almost four thousand years between KOTOR and AOTC, a ship almost same size as the Leviathan packs at the very least, 3 times the firepower and can land on a planet's surface.

Also keep in mind that the Acclamators are weak compared to Victory, Imperial, and Super class Star Destroyers. The technology to develop these much more powerful weapons was present during the prequel trilogy but the market forces and poltical will to develop them only came from the Clone Wars and the subsequent rise of the Empire.

Also, because the SW galaxy is much farther along the technology curve, the marginal change in technological development is much, much less than what happens on Earth. It is compariable to early human development, in that it took us a long time to learn the skills necessary to develop the skills that we now take for granted, like reading, writing, and abstract thought. Execept in Star Wars they are so far advanced that there is very little left to discover and all they can really do is make minor improvements rather than revolutionary discoveries. Like the Rodian in the Czerka HQ on Tatooine said: Every year, the droids get a little smarter but nothing really changes.

my ancient history aint that good but I prefer this comparison: how about comparing the changes between 2000 bc and now? The more advanced a civilisation is the faster it advances. therefore sw should have advanced way quicker than this gap I wouldn't have minded a slightly less advanced star wars game

my ancient history aint that good but I prefer this comparison: how about comparing the changes between 2000 bc and now?  The more advanced a civilisation is the faster it advances.  therefore sw should have advanced way quicker than this gap I wouldn't have minded a slightly less advanced star wars game

Think of technological progress as a bell curve on an x,y axis. At the begining and the end of the curve, an increase in x creates a modest increase in y. However, an increase in x in the middle of the curve results in a much greater increase in the y value. That is what I meant by the marginal increase of technology in SW. Earth would be somewhere in the middle part while Star Wars is somewhere in the far right end of the curve.

Think of technological progress as a bell curve on an x,y axis.  At the begining and the end of the curve, an increase in x creates a modest increase in y.  However, an increase in x in the middle of the curve results in a much greater increase in the y value.  That is what I meant by the marginal increase of technology in SW.  Earth would be somewhere in the middle part while Star Wars is somewhere in the far right end of the curve.

You need to remember that Star Wars is fantasy, not science fiction. Also, who knows, there might be an asymptotic limit on the curve of progression of technological advancements of society over time.

That's just what I was thinking. :huh:

:huh:

KotOR comics??? Do you mean the Dark Horse comics (I think that's what they're called)?

Dark Horse is right.

I don't think the technologies are equal at all. If you read some of the EU books that take place just after the Original Trilogy, you will see some comments about the older ships. In the Thrawn Trilogy, Leia talks about ships during the Clone Wars used different fuels or some kind of chemicals that are extremely toxic to plants, but "modern" ships no longer use it.

Also in Shatterpoint, Mace Windu talks about old ships that used Super-Conductors as hulls before the technology for deflector sheilds was perfected.

First off, the lasers the leviathan is armed with are capable of shattering apart buildings with 2-3 blasts. And has like 50 of them, on each side. I think the scale on the database is wrong, they probaly didn't care while they were writing it, simply something on the ship to put up. Look at the amount of windows on the levi for example, it has hundreds to thousands. I don't think they realy worried about technilogical stuff while they were writing the story, nor did they care about scale or other technical things like that. None the less KOTOR is a great game, but they should have worked more on the back ground details, surely it wouldn't take to long to make sure everything was the appropriate scale and power. If not that then atleast on the lightsaber details they look like painted sticks for heavens sake.

the Leviathan's armament/stats are basically just copied and pasted from the Immobiliser class Interdictor Cruiser's used during and after the original trilogy so i wouldn't say they are that accurate.

Also just to compare, here's the armament of a Victory I Star Destroyer:

10 quad turbolaser batteries

40 double turbolaser batteries

80 concussion missile tubes

10 tractor beam projectors

on a ship 900 metres long built during the clone wars and was one of the best shis available to the Republic.

And here is the armament of an Invincible class Dreadnaught built 3000 years before the original trilogy:

30 quad-laser cannons

12 turbolaser cannons

6 tractor beam projectors

6 concussion missile tubes.

An Invincible class Dreadnaught is just over 2 kilometres long..........and was one of the largest the Republic built.

First off, the lasers the leviathan is armed with are capable of shattering apart buildings with 2-3 blasts. And has like 50 of them, on each side.

there's also quite a few of them in orbit of Taris which has got to count for alot of the damage that is caused by the bombardment.

and what about ancient swords? in kotor everybody seems to carry a sword about with him/her.

blaster technology isn't developed very much. but aside from that lightsabers are clearly as good as they will be 4000 years later.

never mind, it's fantasy...

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

and what about ancient swords? in kotor everybody seems to carry a sword about with him/her.

blaster technology isn't developed very much. but aside from that lightsabers are clearly as good as they will be 4000 years later.

The reason for that is explained by the Ithorian merchant and carth on Taris, shield generators used by the rep/sith block blaster shots but a swrod will cut straight through it.

And how about those Stealth generator's? Can't find those anywhere 4000 years later...

in the eu cloaking devices used on the Sith infiltrator (Darth's Mauls ship) required a rare mineral which only existed on some planet that got wiped out during the clone wars. a similar thing might of happened with the kotor ones.

But later the empire develops another cloak but it requires huge amounts of energy and is unstable in hyperspace (see GA Zaarins death :p )

In the Thrawn trilogy thrawn uses another cloak, but this blinds the cloaked ship as well so it's use is limited but the imperial remnant does fit some ISD's with them.

The reason for that is explained by the Ithorian merchant and carth on Taris, shield generators used by the rep/sith block blaster shots but a swrod will cut straight through it.

So you think shield generators, not blasters, are undeveloped in this age?

That's the argument we are waiting for! The Levithian just had poorly shielding.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

So you think shield generators, not blasters, are undeveloped in this age?

That's the argument we are waiting for! The Levithian just had poorly shielding.

in the cutscenes at the star forge battle one of the smaller republic ships (destroyer maybe?) get ripped apart by a leviathan after a few shots and the shields were up when it first gets hit i think, also even the larger republic ships seem to get taken down pretty easily so yeah i'd sya shields are not as developed as weaponry. (note i'm not saying the blasters in KOTOR are as developed as the ones in the films)

It's also possible with the personal shield gens that eventually the shield tech can't keep up witt blaster tech without requiring a large power source so it gradually fades out of military use?

Also my original response was about all the republic/sith soldiers carrying swords not the strength of shields or anything, and as i said the game explains that.

i'm not saying it does, i'm saying it would certainly speed up the destruction that is happening, also if i'm thinking of the same shot as you it dosent blow up the whole building just the top 5 floors or so?

besides as i said in my first post i'm pretty sure those stats are incorrect so it may well have a couple of turbo lasers but all those guns on the side cannot all be turbo lasers if it has grav well generators as well, they take huge amounts of power even on the Immobilisers 4000 years later so it couldn't support a large number of heavy weapons.

Theres also the fact that 3 laser blasts bouncing off a building wouldn't look very dramatic....