Politics 2020 - the gift that keeps giving

Amentep

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

What ?

"'We judge that ideologically-motivated lone offenders and small groups will pose the greatest terrorist threat to the Homeland through 2021, with white supremacist extremists presenting the most lethal threat.'

"Not BLM and Antifa? Someone's about to lose their job."

In the words of Biden, "Come on, maaan!"  Okay, small groups of "white supremacist extremists" isn't a reference to right wing militias?  I could go web surfing and come up with prominent voices within the Democrat party and media making that association, but I'm not going to. It's easy enough to find if you look.  There is this idea that white males are a danger to society, and it's partially pushed by these assessments.  Look, I don't feel put out.  My personal privilege isn't in danger, should I have it.  I'm a relatively not ugly tall white guy who kills people with kindness.  If I'm a class or a group of people, I tend to find trust with them.  I think this craziness is bad for society, but I win people over pretty well anyway.  ...and I have had considerably more minority patients than I have white. Even moreso if we count some of my white patients as Hispanic, as I am so counted depending on the convenience of the interested party.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Yes, but you wrote "I also appreciate the red herring of right wing militia being the source of crime and murder in our country.  Sure.  I mean, I have no doubt the folks here are certain of that fact. ". 

Which would be true if anyone had said that there was only source of crime and that right wing militia or as quoted white supremacists were it.  No one here has said as much, the remark about BLM/Antifa is due to some members here seeing Antifa or BLM as The Great Satan.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cohen's new book calls Trump a 'cheat' who sought help from Russia

Cohen of course has 0 credibility. He is the kind of lawyer that gives the profession a bad name. One of the kinds anyway. That said even if he is scum it's easy to believe at least some of this is true. Maybe some truth in all of it even if exaggerated. 

Either way I think we have all had enough of Donald F-----g Trump. He needs to go.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, Mal, but I dispute the claim that "white supremacists" as quoted, are either a solitary or significant source of danger to the country.   Frankly, I don't think Islamic extremists are either.  BLM?  Antifa?  Moreso than white supremacists, but they're only a symptom of a problem.  We're overlooking the real issues statistically.  I don't have time to shadow box the issue.  I'll yield the floor and let my words stand as is.  Fair enough.  Oh, I know!  "Bwahahaha, dis guy is pretending we're in a debate club."  Nope.  No pretending there's any fair exchange but, then again, it's a message board.  :rueful grin:

15 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Cohen's new book calls Trump a 'cheat' who sought help from Russia

Cohen of course has 0 credibility. He is the kind of lawyer that gives the profession a bad name. One of the kinds anyway. That said even if he is scum it's easy to believe at least some of this is true. Maybe some truth in all of it even if exaggerated. 

Either way I think we have all had enough of Donald F-----g Trump. He needs to go.

trump sues everybody. he has a long history o' using lawyers to bludgeon folks into submission.

notice how trump has not personal sued any o' the authors o' these tell-all books from during his Presidency?  sure, he had the doj sue or his brother or the rnc sue, but not trump. a defense for the authors is truth and as such with trump as a party he would need sit and be deposed.

I've Watched Trump Testify Under Oath. It Isn't Pretty.

Hammered by White and her deputies, Trump ultimately had to admit 30 times that he had lied over the years about all sorts of stuff: how much of a big Manhattan real estate project he owned; the price of one of his golf club memberships; the size of the Trump Organization; his wealth; his speaking fees; how many condos he had sold; his debts, and whether he borrowed money from his family to avoid going personally bankrupt. He also lied during the deposition about his business dealings with career criminals.

TRUMP: A TRUE STORY

am knowing how some o' you feel 'bout the washington post, but the annotated article is providing the unvarnished deposition content.

am not gonna bother reading cohen's book. what could he possible tell us which is worse than what we already know?  short o' cohen revealing trump were a financial backer for michael vick's dog fighting ring, we cannot imagine anything cohen could say which would shock us. 

nevertheless, the guy who sues everybody has once again chosen to not sue cohen. sure, he had the doj go all underhanded to try and prevent the publication o' the book, but no chance he puts his own reputation on the line and sit for a deposition.

"I've never seen such a clause in 21 years of being a judge and sentencing people," U.S. District Court Judge Alvin Hellerstein said. "How can I take any other inference but that it was retaliatory?"

how can the trump base not be afraid of trump? 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

I have to say I'm warming up to your wall o' texts @Gromnir, great post. 👍

Of course its perfectly normal to agree with Gromnir on many points and when he repeats your own unconscious bias and or your opinion  he makes even more sense...I do the same with posts that align to my views :p

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

how can the trump base not be afraid of trump? 

HA! Good Fun!

Refer to my flow chart from last page. The only problem is he is not on their side. They are only on his. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Refer to my flow chart from last page. The only problem is he is not on their side. They are only on his. 

GD here is an interesting question, what if both candidates make sense to a person on certain developments and or ideological views....what do you do then?

Who do you vote for ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

24 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

GD here is an interesting question, what if both candidates make sense to a person on certain developments and or ideological views....what do you do then?

Who do you vote for ?

If both candidates are equal then the outcome doesn't matter and you can stay home and play videogames.

166215__front.jpg

41 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Actually, I agree with the idea.  I *am* afraid of Trump.  I think he's petty, small-minded, and dangerous.  I just fear him less than the alternative.  Virtually all my life, I have voted for the thing I believe.  I have voted *for* something.  Over the past several  years, I've started voting *against* politicians.  On the other hand, having the leftists accuse me of being a hypocrite, a charge so rich with irony, only makes me sure my path is righteous.  :huge grin:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

Virtually all my life, I have voted for the thing I believe.

That's quite an accomplishment. I cannot honestly say that I have shared in your luck. In many elections there has been no candidate who represents my beliefs (in whole or in part). My options at that point are either to not vote (unacceptable) or vote for the person I think is most likely to perform the job well (not ideal).

All this to say, in my experience "voting for the thing I believe" seems to be something of a luxury and shouldn't be an expectation for every ballot.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

3 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

Actually, I agree with the idea.  I *am* afraid of Trump.  I think he's petty, small-minded, and dangerous.  I just fear him less than the alternative.  Virtually all my life, I have voted for the thing I believe.  I have voted *for* something.  Over the past several  years, I've started voting *against* politicians.  On the other hand, having the leftists accuse me of being a hypocrite, a charge so rich with irony, only makes me sure my path is righteous.  :huge grin:

Like I said before, Trump being terrible does not make Joe Biden good. I am fed up with choosing the "lesser evil". All you get is evil. I cannot, I WILL not cast a vote for either of them. The candidate I am voting for will not win the election. And I'm OK with that. And I'll be OK with the guy in the mirror. Because the terrible candidate that did win didn't get my support. 

I've been saying this for the last four years and I'll say it again. Don't blame me for Trump's BS. I voted for Johnson. 

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, Skarpen said:

If both candidates are equal then the outcome doesn't matter and you can stay home and play videogames.

I wouldn't do that. There is the control of Congress to be determined. I'd argue that is even more important that who becomes President. I suspect Biden is going to win so I am 100% voting Republican for House and Senate. I do NOT want ANY President to ever have a completely friendly Congress ever again.  No good comes of that. This is what comes of one party rule in the USA:

• The Vietnam War
  • Housing and Community Development Act
  • The 1994 Crime Bill
  • The Patriot Act
  • The Invasion of Iraq
  • The ACA
  • "The Wall"
  • The involvement in the Syrian civil war
  • Everything Trump did from 2017 to 2018

We are SO much better off when they all just cancel each other out. 

Also State and local elections to be decided. Those are not sexy but believe me, they ARE important. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Besides, it really does NOT matter who wins the 2020 Presidential race. Neither will contribute to fixing this: https://www.usdebtclock.org/

Someday, when your money is worthless,  you will all remember with fondness when all you had to worry about was whether Trump was worse than Biden. 

Thomas Sowell

I don't really affiliate with any political party or politician in Norway either. I tend to vote for the little ones that are good watch dogs, to help ensure they get a seat or two in parliament. The uttermost left party here is actually pretty good in terms of unveiling corruption. I wouldn't want them to govern the country, but I'd prefer they have a public voice.

US politics explained in one pic

118785546_3367618136615181_8377734284497

Thomas Sowell

In the spirit of keeping the Funny Things thread politics free:

116796128_3271034212940241_2298943386256

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

OK one more and I'll go back to CK3

117122819_10157838412754263_577957350912

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I imagine I'll probably go my entire life without a candidate or party to believe in.

That's because the dirty little secret is that the democrats and the republicans play for the same team. They play for Team 1%.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Besides, it really does NOT matter who wins the 2020 Presidential race. Neither will contribute to fixing this: https://www.usdebtclock.org/

Someday, when your money is worthless,  you will all remember with fondness when all you had to worry about was whether Trump was worse than Biden. 

....You do know how inflation works right? Cause I get the impression people just think that more money in circulation automatically means inflation.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

14 minutes ago, Orogun01 said:

....You do know how inflation works right? Cause I get the impression people just think that more money in circulation automatically means inflation.

Of course. But debt can only be monetized if the currency is stable. Right now the dollar is stable. But only because there is no alternative. If the dollar collapses or if something like Bit Coin becomes a real currency for trade, the US will not survive the mismanagement of it's political class.

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Im not talking  about some silly, hypothetical example like you mentioned because by that argument you would be right and there would be no point in voting

I am talking about  the reality right now  in the USA. There are things I  support about the  different policies that both Biden and Trump espouse but   what is unique about this election is in the past I had similar views of opposing candidates but the one candidates policies were more significant and had a direct consequence on issues that had a global impact so I supported them 

But now both candidates have certain polices that are almost equally important to me ...so its not like in the past where the choice was relatively easy....Im actually glad I cant vote because I would be conflicted and the choice would be harder

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Just a reminder to everyone that this big Russian 'election interference' come sdown to a bunch of Russian 'trolls' spamming the internet. LMAO

Also, reminder, that to some people if you believe the US election can be 'hacked' or 'intervered with' you aren't patriotic and are a traitor.

So, take that with a grain of salt.

Also, one needs to be remidned that Rump is a liar which makes him perfect as a politician. Washington deserves to have deal with him for another 4 years. You reap what you sow.

• Hmmm 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.