What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

Spent one hour at work having people call me to tell me to call someone else and ask a question and then shuttling information between the two.  First time for everything.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm now healthy enough with a "routine" that is memorized/flexible enough that I have time once again to be .... bored out of my mind.

I've been backing off the units of insulin per shot little by little and so far everything still remains stable or even still gets better overall. I guess some ppl get blood sugar spiking in the morning (dawn syndrome or something like that) but I'm not one of them (mine dips low by morning, it only rises after eating) so I could probably go without extra insulin at night. Main thing is not to slack on exercise too much or overeat via huge portions at once.

Anyway ... there's tons I could be doing - like hours of clearing files or working on that super-sized self-made "L"-corner desk set-up I want to have (to free up floor space, boards on top of cabinets along two walls) but, y'know, that's, like, work.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 8/31/2020 at 6:00 PM, Raithe said:

A Monday. Ugh. A bank holiday. Yay. A headache. Ugh.

But, some paracetamol, plenty of tea, the soundtrack to the 90's Three Musketeers (Bryan Adams, Sting, and Rod Stewart) and assorted other Dumas film adaption scores whilst skim reading the Honor Harrington series. Since this morning I've gone through books 1-4.

Now making a stir fry from the leftover chicken from yesterday and finally turned on the pc to check the assorted mail, world news and suchlike.

Fun, random and useless fact of the day, I'm allergic to paracetamol. Got it once while I had lateral pharyngitis as accompanying pain medication. Spent most of the day feeling like dying (I mean, being sick is exacerbated in severity by being male :p), lying in bed and I'd only get up to take my meds and eat something easily swallowable, then lie back down and continue to feel like dying.

I only noticed that it wasn't just the disease after I started waking up and feeling a lot better and getting worse again after swallowing the pills. Turns out that very rare side effects of paracetamol are swelling of the vocal cords and sore throat. Go figure.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Cancelled XBOX Game Pass

Even after I gave myself ownership of all the files and folders I still get access denied. There are a couple more things I could try but I'm not even going to bother because I want easy access to game files. I'll wait for a good sale and pick up CK3 for Steam on whichever 3rd party site has it cheapest.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I wonder what the shelf life of spam is... 🤔

Was cleaning up my pantry the other day and found a can of spam. It has a packaging date and year, but no best by date whatsoever. I wouldn't really trust food that is 4 years old (unless it's a Cognac) 😨

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

IIRC canned meats can still be good up to 5 years, but I think typically 2-3. 

Someone with a bunker might be more sure of their answer. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

I wonder what the shelf life of spam is... 🤔

Was cleaning up my pantry the other day and found a can of spam. It has a packaging date and year, but no best by date whatsoever. I wouldn't really trust food that is 4 years old (unless it's a Cognac) 😨

I wouldn't trust spam regardless of age.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

I wouldn't trust spam regardless of age.

He's Australian, like the Fremen his environment has made him resistant to mere biotoxins.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

He's Australian, like the Fremen his environment has made him resistant to mere biotoxins.

My obsidianstalking.txt says Gorth immigrated to Australia. I guess it's time to rewrite that bit.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, KaineParker said:

My obsidianstalking.txt says Gorth immigrated to Australia. I guess it's time to rewrite that bit.

No, you don't. Gorth is Danish and simply migrated to Australia for the second time or so (not sure, he's zipping around the globe faster than other people are changing underpants). :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ah ok, I always thought he was Australian but emigrated for work/study.  The fact that he doesn't say c--- or f--- every other sentence should have told me that.

Edited by Malcador

Ehhh... just to clear up any confusion, Majestic is right, Danish by birth although it's a long time (getting close to 20 years now) since I lived there.

@majestic I'm sure there are people in Melbourne who love to hear a ruckus outside just to remind them, that the outside world still exists ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, majestic said:

It's midnight and there's a ruckus outside. Seriously, what do I live in a gentrified suburb for?

Gentrified just means the loud drunks wear better clothes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Ehhh... just to clear up any confusion, Majestic is right, Danish by birth although it's a long time (getting close to 20 years now) since I lived there.

@majestic I'm sure there are people in Melbourne who love to hear a ruckus outside just to remind them, that the outside world still exists ;)

I wonder if that's made it easier or worse to understand your spoken Danish... 🤔

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

20 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I wonder if that's made it easier or worse to understand your spoken Danish... 🤔

I do speak to some family back there every now and then on Skype (with video), so it's not all forgotten. It does happen that I forget the odd word in Danish though, but luckily the family understands English too and can remind me what it's called.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I do speak to some family back there every now and then on Skype (with video), so it's not all forgotten. It does happen that I forget the odd word in Danish though, but luckily the family understands English too and can remind me what it's called.

My mothers cousin has been living in canada for 40 years or so, and his wife who is native american speaks Swedish with less accent than he does 🤣

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I bought a bunch of peaches in anticipation of making peach mead tonight.  I've got a gallon of pear and 3 gallons of blueberry.  I haven't made a five gallon batch of anything for a while.  The glass carboy is just damned heavy is all.  I might make a batch of brown ale tonight.  I've got the goods, but it's always such a pain.  I'll have to see.  I'd be forced to use tap water.  Not a big deal.  I've used tap water on occasion before for things I meant to drink myself.  The water tastes good here.  If you can't brew with regular tap water where you live, you need to move.  Still, for brews I make for others, I typically get some sort of mountain spring water or some such with a taste I enjoy.

EDIT:  I was afeart that the must was too hot off the boil, but I put my yeasties in anyway and they're already going to town.  The fact is, fermenting is better at room temperatures or lower, depending on what you're making, but a little heat to start the yeast isn't bad as long as it doesn't kill them.

Edited by MedicineDan
  • Like 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Due to the temperamental Cape Town weather I plan my walks using a Weather App to understand rain patterns, this morning at 6:30 am it was cloudy where I live in the city and 50 % rain prediction 

But I started my walk at 7:10 am and as I walked up the roads towards the bottom of Table Mountain, Cape Town  was built basically around the base of Table Mountain, I was able to walk through low level clouds which were the bad weather clouds

So I was able to literally piece the overcast clouds by walking for about 1.5 Miles but I was walking up the whole time, it was lovely experience to be above the clouds and walking in good weather and an excellent start to my day  🌄

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I finished my greenhouse. Working on the irrigation system. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ordered 4 new tyres for my car, new lightbulbs for the headlights, and for the 240 oilfilter and oil, sparkplugs, tensioner and belts.

Had to give up the inline-6 project for the 240 since my friend managed to turn the engine over when the camshafts were misaligned, so the straight six needs 24 new valves...

Did I mention that I got a fryer a while back? I LOVE THIS THING! So far Ive made panko crusted shrimp, beer battered cod and french fries, and everything has turned out perfectly. Sometimes I just go pour a basket of fries, mix up a big blob of ketchup and mayo, salt the hell out of em and eat the whole plate. :lol:

• Like 1

Playing Crusader Kings 3 since 9 PM last night. Really like this game. But... can't stay awake 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell