What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

10 hours ago, Azdeus said:

*Checks Gilroy, CA average temperatures*

O.O

"Only a week of hot weather"... tell me, what is "hot weather" for you? šŸ˜„ Those average temperatures seem, literally, like hell to me! Considering that the average temperatures in Gothenburg is 10C lower than Gilroy, and I already find Gothenburg unbearably hot in the summertime, you've definetly gotten way to used to heat šŸ˜›

Around Oktober the weather starts becoming bearable for me, best is december/january when temps has a chance to go well below freezing. šŸ¤—

I'm a bit North of Hurl so temps are a bit more moderate (I was very close to Morgan Hill for 15 years tho) but yeah ... we tend to get one or two weeks of 90F+ weather a summer, often broken up into 2-4 days at a time, unless we get the late fall heat wave. Most of the time day to day it's more like 78-82F where I am maybe. Humidity tends to be on the lower side but not this week. Humidity+heat kills me - which is why I won't be old-age home-ing to the popular Flordia locations or similar.Ā 

Last night was tropical thunder here. Lightning show/thunder/rain for a long time in the wee hours while still a warm night. Not typical for the area and always interesting when it happens.

Ā 

Edit: my personal heat tolerance is about 80F and that's if I'm sitting still indoors. Which is why I have a wall A/C unit in my room - high-tech heats up a room in no time to way past that (hubby has one too to keep his pc/servers cool).

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
ā€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.ā€ ā€“ Alan Watts

Low 60s(F) and I'm starting to break, mid 40's is T-shirt weather for me.

I've got an heat exchanger in my place, and it does work as an AC sort of, but damn the electricity bill is killing me..

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

^They also have .50-90 rounds.Ā  I guess toying with ridiculously massively oversized weaponry was a thing in the late 19th century.Ā  Once you go too big, you're compensating. ;)

Ā 

Like most other ammo types the .45-70 is a tool for a task. It's a big game hunting round. A big, heavy projectile with short range dropping power. It packs a huge amount of power inside of 200m but because ofĀ it's drag and high ballistic arc it's kinetic energy is spent shortly beyond that.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

17 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Like most other ammo types the .45-70 is a tool for a task. It's a big game hunting round. A big, heavy projectile with short range dropping power. It packs a huge amount of power inside of 200m but much beyond that it's drag and high ballistic arc it's kinetic energy is spent shortly beyond that.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's a cartridge that was designed for the US Army as a blackpowder cartridge. If you wanted stoppingpower, you're kind of limited to big slow bullets until smokeless shows up. The succeeding cartridge was a .30 caliber as just about every other army when they went to smokeless.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

21 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's a cartridge that was designed for the US Army as a blackpowder cartridge. If you wanted stoppingpower, you're kind of limited to big slow bullets until smokeless shows up. The succeeding cartridge was a .30 caliber as just about every other army when they went to smokeless.

You are correct. The 70 means 70 grains of black powder and a .45 caliber projectile. It replaced the .55 mini ball. By the turn of the century .30 was used in both infantry weapons and automatic weapons and that lasted until the adoptionĀ of the 5.56mmĀ in the '60's

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Any excuse to post this video by Gun Jesus, his Cobray videos are the best

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Any excuse to post this video by Gun Jesus, his Cobray videos are the best

I perseonally prefer any of his videos on where anyone mentions shotguns without a shoulder stock šŸ˜„

14 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Ā 
*Checks Gilroy, CA average temperatures*

O.O

"Only a week of hot weather"... tell me, what is "hot weather" for you? šŸ˜„ Those average temperatures seem, literally, like hell to me! Considering that the average temperatures in Gothenburg is 10C lower than Gilroy, and I already find Gothenburg unbearably hot in the summertime, you've definetly gotten way to used to heat šŸ˜›

Around Oktober the weather starts becoming bearable for me, best is december/january when temps has a chance to go well below freezing. šŸ¤—

yeah, california is a big place, so hurl generalizing is a bit misleading. ca got a top 5 snowiest place in america as well as three o' top five places in the US with most +100 degree days... huge range o' variation. and we wish it were only 1 hot weekĀ per year in the sacramento valley.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/d1be3e5aec1726d0df2d6c19f21655d886415ee60ff0e8f14afe8ff7f57c9e5d

has been averaging 110FĀ for the past week and is looking like next week will see a slight cooling trend so that by thursday/friday we may only be topping 100 each day.Ā 

worst part is our dogs hate going for walks when is over 80 degrees-- lightweights. the thing is, it only gets down to 79/80 for an eyeblink length o' time at about 6am. the little white dog gets excited when we pick up the leashes, same as normal, but last couple mornings she has pretty much locked her legs as we get to the door to the garage. wants no part o' even the 6am walks.

oh, and grass fires and forest fires, which make air quality so pleasant, is the norm in august and early september in the valley.

last couple years we has started to see more fire tornadoes.

am not a fan o' the ca central valley weather during the summer. is one reason we were considering retiring to our place in idaho, which is in the east portion o' state and gets negligible snow... at least negligible compared to stuff we is familiar with from youth.Ā 

oh, and our allergies...

*snort*

am old, so should be expected when we complain 'bout the weather and kids these days and how the price o' _______ is outrageous.

HA! Good Fun!

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

People live in the central valley? I thought that was just a place we drive through to get to our vacation homes.

don't forget all the cows and farms, but yeah, is not exactly ideal living. nevertheless, and in spite o' not nearly enough water to support current needs, the number o' new housing starts, even with covid-19 in full swing, is eye-popping.Ā 

The Vision of John Wesley Powell--Explorer Foresaw Water Issues That Would Plague the West

what a sane map o' the west would be if designed with water in mind

john-powell-wesley-drainage-map-public-d

more than a few californians seem to share the curious notion the state is the coast and perhaps 50 miles inland... with the sierra nevadas and tahoe existing in some kinda quasi alter dimension accessible only during ski season or for perhaps a summer camping trip.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

yeah, california is a big place, so hurl generalizing is a bit misleading. ca got a top 5 snowiest place in america as well as three o' top five places in the US with most +100 degree days... huge range o' variation. and we wish it were only 1 hot weekĀ per year in the sacramento valley.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/d1be3e5aec1726d0df2d6c19f21655d886415ee60ff0e8f14afe8ff7f57c9e5d

has been averaging 110FĀ for the past week and is looking like next week will see a slight cooling trend so that by thursday/friday we may only be topping 100 each day.Ā 

worst part is our dogs hate going for walks when is over 80 degrees-- lightweights. the thing is, it only gets down to 79/80 for an eyeblink length o' time at about 6am. the little white dog gets excited when we pick up the leashes, same as normal, but last couple mornings she has pretty much locked her legs as we get to the door to the garage. wants no part o' even the 6am walks.

oh, and grass fires and forest fires, which make air quality so pleasant, is the norm in august and early september in the valley.

last couple years we has started to see more fire tornadoes.

am not a fan o' the ca central valley weather during the summer. is one reason we were considering retiring to our place in idaho, which is in the east portion o' state and gets negligible snow... at least negligible compared to stuff we is familiar with from youth.Ā 

oh, and our allergies...

*snort*

am old, so should be expected when we complain 'bout the weather and kids these days and how the price o' _______ is outrageous.

HA! Good Fun!

So hot as hell AND fire tornadoes. Sounds like a lovely place. ą² _ą² 

Why are you people still living there?! šŸ˜„

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

Add to that they are paying the second highest state taxes in the USA. Plus, earthquakes. Nuts to all that.Ā 

But CA is actually a beautiful place. Except for the parts south of I-10 and West of I-15. Don't really likeĀ that part. That was where I was when I lived there. One star... don't recommend.Ā 

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

the thing is, am certain numerous persons from nevada, utah, new mexico, arizona, west texas, etc. look at the ca central valley situation and shrug with indifference.Ā 

am recalling speaking with a uk journalist who followed the firstĀ obama presidential campaign and we asked him 'bout impressions o' the US. his First comments were 'bout the weather. tornadoes, hurricanes, mud slides, heat waves, blizzards, flooding, forest fires. etc. the reporter believed american psyche were affected not just a littleĀ by our extreme weather. we were kinda surprised by the answer 'cause we didn't genuine expect weather to be so prominent 'mongst his impressions o' the US.Ā 

dunno. we got a unique perspective as we grew up in a place where winters were genuine lethal to many due to ubiquitous inadequate shelter and heat.Ā  with all kinda modern conveniences it is easier for many to ignore weather save for when the genuine catastrophic occurs. tough to explain the primal dread o' a multi day blizzard to most people who live in the burbs.Ā 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Add to that they are paying the second highest state taxes in the USA. Plus, earthquakes. Nuts to all that.Ā 

But CA is actually a beautiful place. Except for the parts south of I-10 and West of I-15. Don't really likeĀ that part. That was where I was when I lived there. One star... don't recommend.Ā 

How could I forget about the earthquakes?!

Admittedly, I don't know the intricacies of your taxes, but a rudimentary search and input of my own income tax at about 10% less than I pay now :p

33 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

the thing is, am certain numerous persons from nevada, utah, new mexico, arizona, west texas, etc. look at the ca central valley situation and shrug with indifference.Ā 

am recalling speaking with a uk journalist who followed the firstĀ obama presidential campaign and we asked him 'bout impressions o' the US. his First comments were 'bout the weather. tornadoes, hurricanes, mud slides, heat waves, blizzards, flooding, forest fires. etc. the reporter believed american psyche were affected not just a littleĀ by our extreme weather. we were kinda surprised by the answer 'cause we didn't genuine expect weather to be so prominent 'mongst his impressions o' the US.Ā 

dunno. we got a unique perspective as we grew up in a place where winters were genuine lethal to many due to ubiquitous inadequate shelter and heat.Ā  with all kinda modern conveniences it is easier for many to ignore weather save for when the genuine catastrophic occurs. tough to explain the primal dread o' a multi day blizzard to most people who live in the burbs.Ā 

HA! Good Fun!

Heh, considering that where I live 86F is blistering heat, the strongest "tornado" we've had was estimated to 160~mph winds and happened in the 80's, one of the most violent storms we've had gusted at 90mph, we shat our britches when we had a magnitude 4.1 earthquake, your weather does come across as quite terrifying. We adopted the Finnish way of raking or forests early on so we haven't had much problems with forest-fires.

The snowstorm in 1995 we had here was both some of the best days and worst weeks in my life. A day or two after the storm hit, me and my friends grabbed our snowracers and went to a nearby trail with some stone stairs that led to a park and rode the entire day since school was out. By the end of the day the skis were worn blank by the stone stairs that had started to show, and when I was about to take the last turn nothing happened and I went into one of the handrails. I hit the shin of my right leg into one of the steel T-bars that held the rail to the ground, it hurt like hell and I was squirming a bit on the ground a bit, but it was nothing to the terror I felt when I pulled up the trouser leg and saw bone, sinew, blood and torn skin as I had an open 3inch gash on the leg.

All my friends just stood there dumbstruck, except one friend that everyone tormented because she was "slow". She ran for help, her father put me in a pulka/sled and brought me to my father, who drove me to my mother that was on the other end of town, took one gander at it and told my father to drive to the ER. I thought I had felt terror when I saw my own bone and sinew, but that was nothing compared to the terror of going to Hospital.

Rambling. I blame the fact that I'm on vacation against my will :<

7 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Not only that but you should see the homeless in LA.Ā  It is nothing but a neoliberal hellhole which means if you're low income you are absolutely screwed at finding opportunities and decent living standards.Ā  Steer clear.

I love the heat and hate the cold which is why I complain about Colorado every winter.Ā Tornadoes were very rare in AZ but are much more common here in CO, insteadĀ weĀ had dust devils which I would run into in an attempt to absorb its power. I was a weird kid.

• Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Listening to Sunny snore. It's a peaceful sound

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

24 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Listening to Sunny snore. It's a peaceful sound

Record it and post it as Snoring ASMR.

• Thanks 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

Ā 

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

weĀ had dust devils which I would run into in an attempt to absorb its power.Ā 

Did it work?

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡øRFK Jr 2024šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Pushing through the whole install fresh Windows 10 on the new PC and transferring across optical and harddrives and wotnot.

Finding out all the small glitches I hadn't known about - such as having the m2.ssd plugged in automatically kills two of the SATA ports on the motherboard because they use the same channels apparently. Swearing up a storm over the difficulties of transferring things from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Cursing all the annoying automated ****e MS has set up for synchronisation across platforms that I have to spend time turning off, but then having no automated features for restoring windows 7 data to the right spot in Win10 and having to do it all manually.Ā  Its just a ridiculous amount of petty, fiddly crap to deal with rather than simple set it up and let it go.

Reinstalling all the odds and ends. I know I'm going to forget something.

I've never had a situation where because of the sheer stress and frustration of dealing with all of the stupid things I've actually regretted upgrading the PC.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On Tuesday nights, I take part in a ridiculous bike ride, where my goal is usually just to hand on as long as possible before getting dropped. It's about 25 miles around a reservoir. My fastest time is 65 minutes, but most of the guys do it in about 55 minutes.

Given the temperature and air quality, I wasn't sure if it would happen last night, but sure enough there were plenty of people ready to go in the 100 degree heat. I also thought maybe it will be a bit more mellow, since the air quality is not great right now. I was wrong, and a few guys hammered the first hill off the front. There is only one regroup on this ride, about 10 miles in at the top of the second big climb. After getting dropped on the first climb, I pushed through to the regroup area with a small group of stragglers. My water bottle was already serving hot water, and I was gassed. Thankfully, one of the guys who lead the ride said "I'll buy anyone who wants to turn around with me a beer!" That was all I needed to cut my ride short, so I headed back with a small group. Discretion is the better part of valor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

Spoiler

92-ltt-full-size3__23642__39743.1590619179.jpg?c=2

Am now the proud owner of a BerettaĀ 92 Elite LTT Full-Size custom designed by Ernest Langdon.Ā  18 rd 9x19 and as badass as American Pizza (Beretta is an Italian piece and Langdon is American so take something Italian and modify it in America and you get something truly remarkable).

• Like 3

http://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/393528/pictures-best-flower-season-in-years-info-on-hotspots-routes-and-accommodation-deals

Arguably the global lockdown has had one benefit, the proliferation of nature and animals as there is less pollution and humans encroaching on the general habitat of wildlife

In Cape Town this year is going to be one of the best seasons for wild flowers and I am going to go and see this in the next few weeksĀ šŸŒ¹

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his lossā€

John MiltonĀ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.ā€ -Ā  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ā 

Ā