Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)

Amentep

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Wow the Libertarian Party doesn't even try to hide their ignorance anymore.  It's literally the same as displaying a Nazi flag aka enemies the U.S. government destroyed or helped destroy.  They  probably should have went with Vermin Supreme or John McAfee, at least those candidates actually had a shot (Americans vote for celebrity in equal parts with policy).

initial observation: flag displays count as symbolic speech and get full 1st Amendment protections.

with that out o' the way, you do realize states do have the right to display any flag they choose, yes? tweet is simple declaring that what is, and has been since 1787, should continue to be the law o' the land. mississippi recent voted to remove confederate battle emblem from their flag. an a-hole preacher in florida, one guy, may set a quran ablaze and anger the entire islamic world, and there is nothing the government may do 'bout it save make sure he is adhering to local/state fire ordinances. an artist in soho wants to photograph herself squatting over an american flag and urinating and is nothing the government may do 'bout it. 

the only speech which needs protection is speech which offends. is no point in protecting speech which the public, the collective will o' the people, believes is good or at least harmless. only time you got The People attempting to put the kibosh on speech is when it makes people uncomfortable or poses some kinda amorphous and future threat.

we protect nazis having a parade in the largely jewish community o' skokie, illinois not 'cause we thinks illinois nazis is ok. the only people who approve o' illinois nazis is other nazis... or so we believed until last couple years. we protect the bad 'cause more than once in history, groups and ideas which were unpopular and offensive, turned out not to be so bad after all. naacp and vietnam war protesters were not popular. mlk never had even 50% public approval during his lifetime and he were arrested and disappeared for days by the government 'cause o' his speeches. 

(apologies for background music, but almost every clip had similar)

the framers o' the Constitution believed The People could not be trusted to decide what speech were good, (good enough) to deserve protection from government, so those framers decided to take the decision away from the excitable People and their tidal passions which would come and go with little rhyme or reason.

yeah, states may choose which flag they want flying outside their buildings, and because o' that freedom to choose, mississippi continued to use the confederate battle emblem on their state flag... and there were absolute nothing the fed government could do 'bout it. thank god. 

first amendment protects john kerry and mississippi same.  only speech which needs protection is speech which offends.

you may now read our signature for the appropriate response to bad speech. would be nice if those antifa idiots would read and understand the sentiment expressed by J. Brandeis in whitney.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

James Carville Says ‘Significant Chance’ Trump Drops Out of Race

Now wouldn't THAT be a lit match in the haybarn! As entertaining as that would be.... don't see it happening. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

protesters ain't trying to change history, but instead demand recognition of it. 

God bless America; we love it for what it is and not what we wish it. 

happy 4th. stay safe.

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

He'll win, just to crown off this weird year.

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

He'll win, just to crown off this weird year.

There's almost two months after the 2020 presidential election, something weirder will happen afterwards if the trend continues. I'm hoping it's not some eldritch horror stuff because I'm unreasonably afraid of tentacles.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Skazz said:

To be fair, there's usually a handful of cases of bubonic plague a year, and it is pretty much hammered by current medicine.

It's just being considered newsworthy, well, because its 2020 and we constantly expect the other shoe to drop. With tentacles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

if you are afeared of tentacles... it's already too late

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus Produces Long Tentacles in Infected Cells

to bring back 'round to politics

Frederick Douglass Statue Torn Down and Vandalized in Rochester, N.Y.

oh, and we ain't adding as some kinda stoopid, "look, the far right is vandalizing monuments too," shtick. we posted mr. douglass' famous speech 'bout the fourth and as if to commemorate, some d-bag (likely multiple d-bags) take an action which seems to drive home, with a notable lack o' subtle, the recognition that the wrongs of 1852 is not complete a thing o' the past.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

32 minutes ago, Skazz said:

^ Oh. To be honest, I had no idea.

Thanks for putting that particular avenue of worrying to rest.

Hate to be "that guy", but that shouldn't put worries to rest if that worried you to begin with. Bubonic plague is endemic in areas of Central Asia and elsewhere. It's under control, but there's a chance that an antibiotic-resistant outbreak could get out of control. Note "get out of control" rather than "appear" because IIRC, they already found cases of antibiotic-resistant plague bacteria a few years ago.

Misuse of antibiotics is one of those potentially catastrophic risks that don't get nearly enough attention.

But hey, at least it's not Corona.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"How many black people has BLM or Antifa killed in the last 10 years, well or people in general ?  Looking around, US cops have killed maybe ~2000 blacks, so I am somewhat skeptical of that claim. "

How many black people have been killed just in these latest riots by BLMers/Antifa? And, yes,I absolutely count 'rioters' because BLM and Antifa encourage said rioters. Like those two black teenagers that had their car shot up in the 'BLM/Antifa zone'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1 hour ago, Volourn said:

"How many black people has BLM or Antifa killed in the last 10 years, well or people in general ?  Looking around, US cops have killed maybe ~2000 blacks, so I am somewhat skeptical of that claim. "

How many black people have been killed just in these latest riots by BLMers/Antifa? And, yes,I absolutely count 'rioters' because BLM and Antifa encourage said rioters. Like those two black teenagers that had their car shot up in the 'BLM/Antifa zone'.

Could just be non-BLM/Antifa killing though.  But ok, even with that, those are rookie numbers next to cops in the US.  Then again, US cops also are rookies next to Brazilian police - they killed ~6000 last year alone.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bolsonaro got covid-19. The irony runs deep in this case. I'm not saying anybody deserves an illness, 'cause that would be absurd, but at least it seems fitting without any schadenfreude on my behalf:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/07/americas/brazil-bolsonaro-positive-coronavirus-intl/index.html

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

"Could just be non-BLM/Antifa killing though.  But ok, even with that, those are rookie numbers next to cops in the US.  Then again, US cops also are rookies next to Brazilian police - they killed ~6000 last year alone. "

Nah. BLM/Antifa kill a lot. There was a BLMer who murdered about half dozen cops in one instance. BLMers/Antifas have murdered tons of people. Not to mention assaults, robbery, and the like. But, they had behind the ' they're not 'real' BLMers and 'Antifas'. :p At least cops can't hide behind 'not a real cop' nonsense 'cause youa r either cop or you aren't one.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

3 hours ago, Volourn said:

"Could just be non-BLM/Antifa killing though.  But ok, even with that, those are rookie numbers next to cops in the US.  Then again, US cops also are rookies next to Brazilian police - they killed ~6000 last year alone. "

Nah. BLM/Antifa kill a lot. There was a BLMer who murdered about half dozen cops in one instance. BLMers/Antifas have murdered tons of people. Not to mention assaults, robbery, and the like. But, they had behind the ' they're not 'real' BLMers and 'Antifas'. :p At least cops can't hide behind 'not a real cop' nonsense 'cause youa r either cop or you aren't one.

Hmm.... one for the science thread. Is the killer a real cop or not. Does observing the killing change the status from a cop in name only to a real cop. Shroedingers Cop!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://americanmind.org/post/buy-guns-and-ammo/

I agreed with this 1000%.... until he got into the politics. Basically he's blaming the Democrats for the fall of law and order and inability of the state to provide security. He's only half right on that count. 

The truth is the state has never, ever been able to provide security. At best the police do a fair job of identifying who has committed a crime and arresting them to face justice. At their worst they are an armed gang every bit as capricious, oppressive and dangerous as the people folks thing they should be protected from. 

If you are an American citizen you REALLY need to pay attention to this: your safety, security, health, and future are entirely in YOUR hands. You need to begin thinking about those things as if your governments do not exist. Because on a functional level they don't in some ways. That is not to say there is no law and you can do whatever. Exactly the opposite. Follow the law but take every action to further your own security, financial and actual

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

we disagree, and is always good to check sources...

Parkland Teen Kyle Kashuv, Former Turning Point USA Member, Apologizes For Racist Slurs

oh, and is utter bs that regulations make it near impossible to buy a gun in ny. kid starts with fibs to make a point?

oh, and a recent advert from one o' those anti-trump republican groups.

“Rather than talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems, make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit?” Reagan said in a 1980 presidential debate. “And then while they’re working and earning here, they pay taxes here. And when they want to go back, they can go back.”

and

“I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and who have lived here, even though some time back, they may have entered illegally,” Reagan said in a 1984 presidential debate.

dreamers would have a powerful Presidential advocate in  reagan. 

HA! Good Fun!

Who better to call for "law and order" (in this case more police with more power) than someone who had a lot of practice writing racial slurs as a teenager? Seems to be a consistent pattern with a lot of the TPUSA crowd, so much so that you have to wonder if they see the type of policing that resulted in George Floyd being murdered as being good in itself.

Anyways the DAPL got shut down. I wonder what will happen to the people who were charged protesting and defending it?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands