Coronavirus: Triple Edition

Amentep

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/07/americas/brazil-bolsonaro-positive-coronavirus-intl/index.html

The Brazilian president has tested positive for the virus, this is no surprise considering his appalling rejection of the nature of the virus and its spread

Edited by BruceVC
  • Haha 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm sure there's a word- probably in some germanic language- to describe the slight feeling of satisfaction you get from finding out Bolsonaro has caught 'the little flu' after insisting it's anything from a hoax to nothing to worry about. Just a shame he'll no doubt get all the plasma transfusions etc he needs which the average native or favela dweller couldn't afford in a million years.

Then again he'll probably die from the HCQ he's taking, to really double down on irony.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wait, that's NOT how you're supposed to do pushups ?  Hm...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Funny, where I am, masks aren't mandatory (yet) yet we're better off everywhere else in the province.. let alone the USA or European countries. HAHAHAHAHA!

This proves to me that masks aren't necessary and pictures like the above back me up since  there seems to be no 'concensus' in the proper way to wear them  (or even wear them at all) amongst medical 'experts'. 😛

Now, social distancing... that is something more people should be practicing..

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Forecasts of Total Deaths

significant variation in models result in predictions of anywhere between 140k-160k deaths by august 1.

also,

"The state-level ensemble forecasts suggest that the number of new deaths over the next four weeks in Arizona, Alabama,  Florida, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Nevada, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and West Virginia, will likely exceed the number reported over the last four weeks. For other states, the number of new deaths is expected to be similar to the number seen in the previous four weeks or to decrease slightly."

given uptick in cases and positivity rate, am surprised CA is not on the list. case numbers is less concerning to us than is hospitalizations and positivity rates. am honest not knowing 'bout hospitalization number for CA, a number which is itself misleading as the state is enormous both in terms o' geography and population-- overall numbers may distract from how dire or benign a situation is in many distinct locales. will need check for details. 

regardless, at least for now, yay CA.

recognition: cheer stable death count is admitted a bit perverse.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Masks are mandatory in Toronto and surrounding cities as well.  Unfortunately, a lot of this is going to happen

That grocery chain is founded by Taiwanese Canadians, as well, to make this funnier.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wow... IQ is really through the floor in some places :blink:

Edit: He would make a good Trump voter ;)

Melbourne... what are we going to do with you? Things have just gone south... so to speak. Everyone else can have fun, just not the poor Victorians. From the BBC:

"Victoria has detected 288 new infections in the past 24 hours - the highest daily tally for an Australian state since the pandemic began.

New South Wales had previously seen the greatest number with 211 in March, when travellers returning from overseas were Australia's biggest concern.

The current outbreak, centred in Melbourne, has worsened dramatically due to local transmissions in the past three weeks.

"I know and understand there will be concern across the community to see that number," Premier Daniel Andrews has just told Victorians.

"It was always going to get worse before it got better. We are doing more testing than has ever been done - not by a small margin - but by a massive margin."

More than 37,000 tests were carried out yesterday, he added.

Melbourne's five million residents were ordered back into lockdown yesterday amid fears the city's outbreak could spread elsewhere. Other states have seen relatively few recent infections.

Australia has recorded about 9,000 cases and 106 deaths."

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's hard to take this stuff seriously you governors and mayors banning all gatherings except political ones they agree with the rigth colour.

The mask thing is silly. Why 5 months later?

Covid 19 doesn't care about your politics. But, politicians do. There is no  uniformed evidence that masks can  actually do anything. However, there is with social distancing. But, hey, what do I know. I happen to live  one of the safest areas in NA in terms of COVID 19... yet, somehow masks are becoming 'mandatory' in public spaces next week. Why the fearmongering 5 months later? 😛 Why the flipflopping after a bunch of time of 'masks aren't neccessary'?" "P

P.S. That said, getting violent over masks is silly too.   Stop acting like SJWs!

In Finland government didn't make masks mandatory, because then they would have to provide enough masks for everybody, which they at the time weren't able to do, because there was global shortage of quality masks. And now new daily covid infections have dropped to under 10 with other measures government doesn't anymore have emergency powers to mandate masks. So maybe masks mandates were also delayed in other countries because such mandates would have risked hospitals supply lines, which already weren't able to meet demands of hospital staffs because of mentioned global shortage of masks. 

So.. if masks are so important to stop the spread of COVID then gov't should have spent the money to create them. Afterall, I government literally spent 100s of billions of dollars over COVID19 .. but couldn't cover masks? Come on.

Medical professionals have been all over the palce when it comes to masks.

They've been very consistent when it comes to social distancing (despite the politics doctors played when it comes to right vs left protests).

It's been made clear from day 1 that go out when needed only and maintain  a certain distance.

That's why the whole 'wear masks or you are evil and selfish' mantra is so suspect to me. Be consistent, be honest, don't flip flop, and don't make excuses espciailly if you are 'experts'.

26 minutes ago, Volourn said:

So.. if masks are so important to stop the spread of COVID then gov't should have spent the money to create them. Afterall, I government literally spent 100s of billions of dollars over COVID19 .. but couldn't cover masks? Come on.

Medical professionals have been all over the palce when it comes to masks.

They've been very consistent when it comes to social distancing (despite the politics doctors played when it comes to right vs left protests).

It's been made clear from day 1 that go out when needed only and maintain  a certain distance.

That's why the whole 'wear masks or you are evil and selfish' mantra is so suspect to me. Be consistent, be honest, don't flip flop, and don't make excuses espciailly if you are 'experts'.

Here government spent close to billion euros to build several mask factories from scratch that will produce about 300 million masks in years, but even with money those factories took several months to be build and get manufacturing robots from China. But currently Finland is in my understanding Europe's largest chirurgical mask producer. Although that may come with quite big price tag in future as one part of deal to get those factories was that all the mask used by our hospitals will be ordered from those factories. 

• Thanks 1

"Wear a damn mask already!  66,786 new cases in one day (July 10th).  There's a difference between Freedom and Freedumb.  You're putting peoples lives at risk just to try to prove a point. "

Maybe in your ****hole country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

vol comments were sole 'bout his wacky mask pov.

They're not wacky- they're near exactly the view that got New Zealand to covid eradication. The position here is still that you are not encouraged to wear masks, despite the media constantly trying to drum up hysteria. If you do the other stuff properly you don't need masks. 'If', of course, being the operative word.

The pro/ con balance has shifted in places with very extensive outbreaks and minimal other measures taken, but you certainly don't need masks for a successful response- and if I lived in the US or UK I'd be wearing a mask, if for no other reason than me not wanting to be a knob without good cause.

35 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

They're not wacky- they're near exactly the view that got New Zealand to covid eradication. The position here is still that you are not encouraged to wear masks, despite the media constantly trying to drum up hysteria. If you do the other stuff properly you don't need masks. 'If', of course, being the operative word.

The pro/ con balance has shifted in places with very extensive outbreaks and minimal other measures taken, but you certainly don't need masks for a successful response- and if I lived in the US or UK I'd be wearing a mask, if for no other reason than me not wanting to be a knob without good cause.

the comments is wacky for any place, including kanada, which has experienced community spread. masks, particular cloth masks, as a means o' preventing the wearer from contracting covid-19 is useless and perhaps worse than useless. we tried to point out how masks don't protect the wearer to our +80-year-old aunt in socal and am knowing she didn't get it. 

vol comments is generalized 'bout usefulness o' masks and they complete miss point. 'ccording to vol, because is no mandate to wear masks where he lives, and virus has not spread, is proof masks is useless in US and elsewhere. uses a freaking meme as support for his position.  wacky. if vol were to opine 'bout mask mandates in a place where the virus has negligible footprint and thus asymptomatic community spread is a non-concern, then he would have a point and not be wacky, but such is not the case. 

misrepresenting vol? why on earth would you do so? 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
double "in" and "am" removed. sheesh

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"the comments is wacky for any place, including kanada, which has experienced community spread. masks, particular cloth masks, as a means o' preventing the wearer from contracting covid-19 is useless and perhaps worse than useless. we tried to point out how masks don't protect the wearer to our +80-year-old aunt in socal am am knowing she didn't get it. 

vol comments is generalized 'bout usefulness o' masks and they complete miss point. 'ccording to vol, because is no mandate to wear masks where he lives, and virus has not spread, is proof masks is useless in US and elsewhere. uses a freaking meme as support for his position.  wacky. if vol were to opine 'bout mask mandates in a place where the virus has negligible footprint and thus asymptomatic community spread is a non-concern, then he would have a point and not be wacky, but such is not the case. 

misrepresenting vol? why on earth would you do so? "

I don't need some laughable Amerikan telling me how to deal with Covid 19. Get your own house in order. LMAO

P.S. Starting next week, we're also 'mandated' to wear masks in public... though the police said they aren't gonna enforce it. HAHAHAHA.

is no way to respond to vol w/o sounding like a 100n. wacky.

defending vol wacky? also wacky.

HA! Good Fun!

21 hours ago, Elerond said:

In Finland government didn't make masks mandatory, because then they would have to provide enough masks for everybody, which they at the time weren't able to do, because there was global shortage of quality masks. And now new daily covid infections have dropped to under 10 with other measures government doesn't anymore have emergency powers to mandate masks. So maybe masks mandates were also delayed in other countries because such mandates would have risked hospitals supply lines, which already weren't able to meet demands of hospital staffs because of mentioned global shortage of masks. 

Elerond I know how much you hate disappointing me so I must give you chance to clarify , are you saying Finland has mishandled the virus spread due to not making masks mandatory and now there are mask shortages. You guys must be ordering the hospital required masks and this  is not necessary....you just need a normal mask  

The mask you need just stops spread.....it is considered unethical for civilians to be ordering the masks\PPE that are needed for hospital front-line staff

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 hours ago, Volourn said:

"the comments is wacky for any place, including kanada, which has experienced community spread. masks, particular cloth masks, as a means o' preventing the wearer from contracting covid-19 is useless and perhaps worse than useless. we tried to point out how masks don't protect the wearer to our +80-year-old aunt in socal am am knowing she didn't get it. 

misrepresenting vol? why on earth would you do so? "

I don't need some laughable Amerikan telling me how to deal with Covid 19. Get your own house in order. LMAO

P.S. Starting next week, we're also 'mandated' to wear masks in public... though the police said they aren't gonna enforce it. HAHAHAHA.

volo I am not sure I understand your issue wearing a mask, are you saying you dont wear a mask because you dont go out and live in a remote wilderness area....why would you need government to tell you when to wear a mask? Would you wear a mask if you went to a busy town? 

John Milton 

Where I live the risk is super low and 99% of people try to follow social distancing guidelines. Only 1% of people (if that) have worn masks as a matter of course. Clearly, the virus can be  avoided by being smart not to mention the fact the 'experts' are all over the palce when it comes to actual effectiveness of masks. On top of that, I don't Grom who is from a ****hole country that can't even handle the basics of the virus and has people sadly dying all the time over it TELLING ME how to handle COVID19 when my area is actually handing it just fine THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

That's like a 2 year old toddler trying to teach ME a grown ass man HOW TO WALK. LMAO