Coronavirus: Triple Edition

Amentep

Just now, Skarpen said:

@Gromnir Well I, on the other hand, am shocked you are puzzled that someone is calling you out when you defend sexism.

explain... or don't. either way works for us. am not gonna guess at your implication 'cause it is no doubt the result o' yet another read/write fail on your part.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

23 minutes ago, ktchong said:

I went to a Chinese New Year Festival (a street celebration/parade thingy) at around the end of January.  Got sick with flu-like symptoms for almost three whole weeks in February. At the time, I did not know what it was.   

Tested in April and May for COVID 19, and did not have it.  

Tested in around early-mid June for anti-body, and I had it, which meant I must have gotten COVID 19 in January/February and developed the immunity for it.  

Didn't get sick between March to early July, and I went out every other day or every third day (though I always wear a mask and gloves.... okay so I thought I had the anti-body, so I got a bit  careless and more daring.)

Almost couple weeks ago, just got sick again, mild symptoms, less severe than and somewhat different from those I got from February... tested over a week ago, this time waited much longer for the result to come back... POSITIVE for COVID 19.   Which means, either I got a false positive for the anti-body test, or I was infected with a different strain, or the anti-body only lasted for only about 4-5 months.  

If Trump and Republicans are betting on herd immunity by attrition... then we are SCREWED.

The antibody likely lasted less than 4-5 months.  The antibody had likely expired sooner, but I did not catch COVID 19 again immediately after I had lost the immunity.

6 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Where are the moderators?

Here, as always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

explain... or don't. either way works for us. am not gonna guess at your implication 'cause it is no doubt the result o' yet another read/write fail on your part.

HA! Good Fun!

I think he is talking about the woman in the Starbucks scenario. She claims it is sexism that the young man ended up with a bunch of money, or something. I've no clue otherwise. 

10 hours ago, Skarpen said:

How is walking around provoking people excellent. It's just rude.

Anyone hear shattering glass ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For once, I hardly think she's complaining about sexism. Her side of the story is that she was discriminated against on "disability" grounds, rather than sex.

One might think it'd be reasonable to carry something resembling an official medical certificate exempting her from wearing a mask, but then there would be no story.

Personally, it feels like a sad day in the forum when ktchong is the one keeping on topic and posting relevant stuff:

Immunity to the coronavirus may last only a few months, UK study finds

edit: the above refers to antibodies only. T and B cell-mediated immune response is also a factor, and it seems that more people have specific T cells that provide a degree of immunity than are testing positive for antibodies -- a 2:1 proportion from what I've read. The study mentioned above is also a preprint, with the usual caveats.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I think he is talking about the woman in the Starbucks scenario. She claims it is sexism that the young man ended up with a bunch of money, or something. I've no clue otherwise. 

*shrug*

we didn't respond to that video. our snowflakes comments were generalized and had zero mention o' gender. nothing we said even implied a defense o' gender bias. in fact, what inspired our response @Skarpen were his reaction to the "dudes" video you linked. observe how we liked your posting o' such. 

is another text reading fail by skarpy? long history o' such.

however, we cannot say for certain he is speaking 'bout the starbucks video 'cause in yet another composition fail, skarp fails to identify the source o' his accusation. is another example o' what he meant was something other than what he wrote? who could guess?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I am not entirely sure what the deal is with masks, I assume because it is meant for others' safety and that's not American to think that way 😛

Is an interesting situation in Georgia, where the governor has some issue with mask mandates for some reason, as well as some mayors wanting to shut down again as things are spiking in Atlanta, and other cities - https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/kemps-office-files-lawsuit-seeking-to-block-atlanta-mask-mandate/JJQ5DQW2QFE6PN7TTVO2ISNFDQ/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

36 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I am not entirely sure what the deal is with masks, I assume because it is meant for others' safety and that's not American to think that way 😛

Is an interesting situation in Georgia, where the governor has some issue with mask mandates for some reason, as well as some mayors wanting to shut down again as things are spiking in Atlanta, and other cities - https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/kemps-office-files-lawsuit-seeking-to-block-atlanta-mask-mandate/JJQ5DQW2QFE6PN7TTVO2ISNFDQ/

1. People believe Trump and pundits who side with him that COVID-19 is fake.  If its fake,  then the only reason to wear a mask becomes an alternative and unknowable rationale from the deep state (probably to make people more plyable to government influence and control)

2. The governor in this case was primarily elected by the same people who support Trump. He can't make masks mandatory when Trump won't, without alienating his base.  He also can't allow cities and counties to require masks when he won't without looking weak. The legal option is probably the best for him. If they rule his emergency powers can be used to prevent cities and counties being more restrictive than the state, it appeals to his base and preserves his strength. If he loses, he can probably convince his base it due to liberal bench-legislating judges and that he did his best.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

46 minutes ago, Malcador said:

The supposed objection is that it is being forced on people by the government, and some Americans don't like that. It certainly comes across as selfish. I have no problem wearing one.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

54 minutes ago, Malcador said:

our first post in the initial covid-19 thread on this board observed how one o' the hurdles to an effective national virus response in this nation were the small group o' americans who look at government action as a threat to liberty. "next, they will be coming after our guns." sure enough, mask mandates became inextricable linked with second amendment rights advocates. no doubt many people 'cross the globe were perplexed by the conflating o' gun rights and US social distancing and mask wearing efforts, nevertheless, such were complete expected.

there is americans who don't trust the government even when government is just promoting good science, 'cause too many o' such folks don't trust the scientists neither. these self described patriots don't trust media, and yet they counter-intuitive and beyond all reason glomp onto extreme information sources-- blogs and fringe "news" sites. one would assume a person suspicious o' media would look to multiple media sources in an attempt to find corroboration o' contested facts; if both ny times and oan are reporting facts same, then regardless o' spin, one should have more confidence in reported facts, no? instead, and contrary to all reason, these clowns fixate on the most fringe news offerings; sources which do naught but confirm their biases. is unfortunate, but these individuals with high bs receptivity are not only growing in number, but they have the internet with its dizzying options for misinformation as well as a President who active promotes conspiracy theories. 

there were always a small group o' Americans who were gonna reject masks, same way they will reject vaccine. two problems: 1) a small group is enough to undercut efforts when pandemic is the issue; and 2) paradoxical, because masks were politicized by highly visible leadership, the number o' folks suspicious o' masks went from fringe to a bit more mainstream.  

am not gonna try and explain why folks suspicious o' government would trust the inveterate liar and ignorant b00b who is trump. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

I have no empyrical evidence to back this up whatsoever, but my guess is that if you made a venn diagram of Flat Earthers and Anti-Maskers the overlap would be quite significant.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Flat Earth is the only space mask they need?

Torontonians chime in

Pretty sure it's been proven that in general masks don't protect the *wearer*. And yes, they do reduce overall airflow even if individual oxygen molecules can pass through the pores. I'd suggest he gets himself up to ~180 bpm and tries breathing with one on for an easy experiment. It's almost as if... one had nothing to do with the other and this idiot is just as bad as Ms. 195 IQ here.

****ing internet, I swear.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

But it's fun to watch people bicker, really. 3rd part the camera man pretty much tries to start a fight with them, for some reason.

On 7/18/2020 at 3:27 AM, 213374U said:

Pretty sure it's been proven that in general masks don't protect the *wearer*. And yes, they do reduce overall airflow even if individual oxygen molecules can pass through the pores. I'd suggest he gets himself up to ~180 bpm and tries breathing with one on for an easy experiment. It's almost as if... one had nothing to do with the other and this idiot is just as bad as Ms. 195 IQ here.

****ing internet, I swear.

I agree, I use to think it was common knowledge that masks help prevent virus spread and with the latest important information on how the virus functions we now know it is "air borne " meaning virus molecules come out from your mouth when you talk, shout, sing and these molecules float in the air which is why any confined area, like a club or church, can easily become real virus spread risk vectors as these floating molecules can expose anyone who walks into them to  the virus

Wearing a mask prevents 85% of these molecules from escaping, so the mask really should always be worn. 

I am very disappointed with what has happened in the USA around the virus spread caused by different groups and peoples ideological views but the "mask conspiracy theorists " I have the worst opinion of because these are people who have decided to believe a ridiculous story that the  " Deep State " is behind the requirement for wearing masks.....it should be criminal that type of studious ignorance and or selective way of anyone doing basic research and educating themselves on important global topics like the virus 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Now, I know it's from the Mirror, but it's coverage of one of the UK morning shows...

Mirror - GMB  Doctor explains U-turn on masks

After a change in view over whether face masks and coverings were necessary in public spaces, Sarah discussed the possible rush of people using public transport now that Covid-19 restrictions are lifitng.

Sarah herself didn't agree everyone should wear masks back in March when she appeared on Jeremy Vine's show.

She clashed with model and TV star Caprice over her thoughts that everyone should wear them, as the science did not back it up then.

GMB's Dr Hilary also didn't feel at the time they were needed, unless people could not socially distance from others.

Now months on, evidence and scientific advice has changed after Covid-19 became a pandemic.

With more being found out about the virus and more restrictions lifting, it's advised people wear them in public - more so in shops, enclosed spaces and on public transport.

With both Hilary and Sarah taking a U-turn on wearing masks, host Ben asked Sarah why the change in opinion.

She confirmed that in the months that have passed, new science is suggesting they could protect others.

She explained: "Four months ago in March just before we went into lockdown, the World Health Organisation didn't recommend them.

"The European Centre of Disease Control said cloth face coverings, which are very different to PPE, did not reduce the risk and might increase it because of virus retention, the virus might get stuck if you wear it for too long, you can contaminate your face if you take it on and off.

"What's happened since then is that we've discovered people can be symptomatic and can be spreading the virus probably for a couple of days when they have symptoms, and some people have no symptoms at all but may still be able to spread the virus.

"For that reason the evidence is now that although you can't really protect yourself very much, if everybody wears a face mask we will protect each other.

"So yours protects me and mine protects you."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Viewing the gov't as 'parents' is rather pathetic.   Unless you view parents are armed with weapons and said parent will murder you without blinking an eye if you do something they don't like. In Kanada, our police already murdered someone who didn't wear a face mask. And, of course, psychopaths approve that behavior.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

15 minutes ago, Volourn said:

Unless you view parents are armed with weapons and said parent will murder you without blinking an eye if you do something they don't like

No problems with discipline this way, looks like good policy...