Politics Generations

Amentep

I still find it hilarious that the left/liberals/big cities like TOR are supposedly anti racism etc., yet they LITERALLY voted  a guy back into office when it has been proven that he is a racist who has worn black/brown face. That is INSANE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

45 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Western Alienation was something we heard a lot about from Canada back in the 90's. Quebec is always rumbling about secession but in their case they are a country within a country. But the western provinces have been in the same situation as our "deplorable" "flyover" states. The costal liberals look down their noses at them with a mixture of disgust and patronizing contempt. Looks like this is still a thing: https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/29/justin-trudeau-victory-canada-wexit-060634

Pretty sure most of the condescension is from Albertans themselves rather than the other way around, always moaning about how much they give the country and therefore how much we owe them respect or something. 

3 minutes ago, Volourn said:

I still find it hilarious that the left/liberals/big cities like TOR are supposedly anti racism etc., yet they LITERALLY voted  a guy back into office when it has been proven that he is a racist who has worn black/brown face. That is INSANE.

Other guy was worse for a lot of people - https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poll-strategic-voting-1.5339692

Toronto's still decently racist.  Although not as bad as the hicks in rural Ontario. 😛

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, HoonDing said:

Vindman is not a patriot. He got a purple heart because he got wounded. I like people that don't get wounded.

well that pretty stupid what you just stated...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 minute ago, Chilloutman said:

well that pretty stupid what you just stated...

Parodying Trump's attack on McCain.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, Malcador said:

Parodying Trump's attack on McCain.

touche

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

A majority of US college students surveyed want punishment for "offensive" Halloween costumes: https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13923

Absolutely. Do you think expulsion would be enough? No, better execute them. That way you can be sure they will never be politically incorrect again.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 10/27/2019 at 7:00 PM, Gorth said:

Yes. that's from the country who was the first to systematically use concentration camps for ethnic cleansing...

Depending on exactly what you mean by concentration camps they were in use before the Boer War, with more systemic use starting in the United Sates during the mid 1800s as the native peoples were driven from their homelands, and were also contemporary to the German genocide of the Herero and  Namaqua peoples (I'm not sure off the top of my head if Shark Island and the other German camps came before or after those employed against the Boers but, given American history if nothing else, I'm not sure it is fair to say that the British were the first to employ them).

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

2 hours ago, Deadly_Nightshade said:

Depending on exactly what you mean by concentration camps they were in use before the Boer War, with more systemic use starting in the United Sates during the mid 1800s as the native peoples were driven from their homelands, and were also contemporary to the German genocide of the Herero and  Namaqua peoples (I'm not sure off the top of my head if Shark Island and the other German camps came before or after those employed against the Boers but, given American history if nothing else, I'm not sure it is fair to say that the British were the first to employ them).

I would love to see more info on those mid 1800's camps, because the only source I could find documenting something earlier than the British, were the Spanish in Cuba in 1890 (i.e. 10 years before). We are not talking about reservations or small plots of land, but fenced in areas with barbed wires and guards, neutralizing a captured civilian population. In the South African case, over 40000 women and children killed over a 2 year period (the men were deported off shore to remote islands in the Atlantic and elsewhere, to pacify them).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

13 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm curious how all the crotchety old people who complain about millennials being ruined by participation trophies will spin this one: https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/greta-thunberg-climate-prize.html

Maybe "She's Gen Z, not a millennial", which is true. Of course the people who usually make that argument are massively rectum ravaged over her, so who knows what we will see.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

34 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm curious how all the crotchety old people who complain about millennials being ruined by participation trophies will spin this one: https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/greta-thunberg-climate-prize.html

I believe that criticism is only extended to American woke millennials. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

35 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

gonna state an unpopular view...

hate to say this, but perhaps for the first time in forever, we agreed with putin 'bout something. though am not in-line with putin regarding the climate issue, am kinda simpatico concerning his lack o' fascination for greta.

ms. thunberg is the freaking kim kardashian o' the climate cause. greta is famous for being famous. kim has a large caboose and greta has asperger's and selective mutism. she is the kid o' rich parents, rich enough that they could voluntarily give up their careers to get in line with greta's demands for reducing the family carbon footprint? greta is not particular knowledgeable 'bout climate science. she is not noteworthy eloquent. she is not reasonable... which is a good thing. young people should not need be reasonable. young folks should push and challenge and rage 'gainst arguments made by old people pointing out practicality. the thing is, while greta being unreasonable is a positive in our mind, it ain't particular special or unique. as a teacher o' youth, hurl can speak to just how ordinary is teen unreason.

the participation trophy generation made greta famous for being the kid who refuses to be reasonable.

*shrug*

as for the story itself, we will note greta were nominated for the nobel peace prize and were a serious contender for winning. she didn't. thank god there is no nobel participation prize.

again, am in favor o' greta using her celebrity to advocate for changes to individual and national behaviours in an attempt to prevent cataclysmic climate change. am nevertheless annoyed by the participation trophy generation who chose greta to be the face o' a movement. is literal thousands o' brilliant scientists and scholars who has been advocating for environmental causes longer than greta has been alive, but what those folks didn't know is if they wanted to get the attention o' the millennial crowd, they needed be a rich kid with impulse control issues. greta not having done anything is ok for for participation trophy folks who learned that what matters is being in the game and not who scored most or who won.  what matter is greta is... participating? 

oh, and being chosen isn't greta's fault, so am not belittling her

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

All those boring but brilliant scientists do need their champion. I think Greta is far more impressive, and reasonable than most make her out to be, and I like how she's dealt with her fame (mostly). Her overall message of "don't listen to me, listen to the scientists" is a good one.

• Like 1

We are all children of God-King Soros.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

speaking o' environmental causes

Keystone oil pipeline leaks 383,000 gallons in North Dakota

for those who didn't read the article, keep in mind the last big keystone pipeline leak were initial estimated at 210,000 gallons. turned out to be more than 400,000. 

the keystone xl would put jefferson river in danger as well. missouri river is already at risk. if one o' these leaks get into those rivers which flow into the mississippi, we are talking 'bout a catastrophe. 

am knowing it ain't climate change, which is the environmental cause célèbre o' our time, but this should get more attention than it does. greta is busy and grumpy cat died, so who is gonna be the meme millennials can relate to who will step forward and occupy the pipeline protest void? 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bad air quality is another environmental issue that should get more attention. Millions of people die to it yearly, and millions more get asthma or underdeveloped lungs due to it.  I was pretty happy when my city decided to do something about it (partly by reducing the amount of cars and cruiseships near congested areas).

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/29/air-pollution-worlds-children-breathing-toxic-air-who-study-finds

It's weird that it isn't used more as an argument in Climate Change debates. "OK so you don't believe that man can affect climate change - but you still want clean air right? The solutions are the same."

Edited by Maedhros

Ironically, 'green' solutions to traffic is making it harder for cars to get through high traffic areas and even harder to park. Which in turn get traffic even more static, and there is nothing worse than cars which have to stop ever 10 meters and start moving again, making pollution even worse. If there was put more money in better road infrastructure and underground parking spots it would make more good to air quality than all those restrictions put on cars so far together.

• Like 1

Ideally mass transit would be better, then people wouldn't need to drive.  Is the constant solution everyone is aware of here but no one wants to do - it takes longer to build than a term of office so...

• Like 1

Ideally the whole car culture needs to change. We all just kind of accept that cars are everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I'm part of the problem with my commute. I've got 3 cars and an RV in my household. But I've started to realize how much of my life is being wasted sitting in these dang cars, and it usually isn't a pleasant drive. I read an interesting interview from the CEO of one of those electric scooter companies that are popping up all over cities. He made a good point about how people complain that these little scooters are taking up sidewalk space and being left lying on the ground, and he's like, there are massive cars everywhere! We just accept them as part of the landscape. A small green scooter is not the problem.

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

speaking o' environmental causes

Keystone oil pipeline leaks 383,000 gallons in North Dakota

for those who didn't read the article, keep in mind the last big keystone pipeline leak were initial estimated at 210,000 gallons. turned out to be more than 400,000. 

the keystone xl would put jefferson river in danger as well. missouri river is already at risk. if one o' these leaks get into those rivers which flow into the mississippi, we are talking 'bout a catastrophe. 

am knowing it ain't climate change, which is the environmental cause célèbre o' our time, but this should get more attention than it does. greta is busy and grumpy cat died, so who is gonna be the meme millennials can relate to who will step forward and occupy the pipeline protest void? 

HA! Good Fun!

I think they're in jail, if I'm not mistaken KXL protestors got lengthy prison sentences that were absurd relative to action. The possibility of getting locked in a cage seemingly has a chilling effect on the desire to act.

Anyways soil degradation is yet another environmental issue, we've got maybe 60 years of being able to grow food left if things don't change.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/

Of course the solutions aren't easy, because it would require ceasing the use of many chemicals in farming as well as ending deforestation and there is no tech solution to the problem.

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Ideally mass transit would be better, then people wouldn't need to drive.  Is the constant solution everyone is aware of here but no one wants to do - it takes longer to build than a term of office so...

mass transit is anti individual. I don't drive only because I need to, but because I want to. Don't get me wrong. If someone CHOOSE to drive by mass transit its fine with me and more power to them, just don't take away my choice not to