Lets Get Political

Amentep

@gromnir and @skarpen: The heck are you two nitpicking over the difference between case file and paper? Though I'd agree that 'case paper' isn't typically used, you can still refer to a stack of papers as a 'case file'....

I don't suppose anybody else is watching the first round of the first Democratic debates tonight?

10 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Shouldn't people be in a panic over that? That sort of behaviour seems really, really dangerous for democracy.

It depends what they are mostly. Apparently some of them are for funding state agencies (which ones, it doesn't say), so, if they're critical ones, it could very well become a problem, but it's not a problem yet.

I guess Trump thought there'd be more contentous stuff or more attacking of him because the only tweet so far is BORING!

Edited by smjjames

2 hours ago, injurai said:

What exactly does quarantine mean in relation to a sub-reddit? I've only ever heard of sub-reddits being banned.

It essentially means that the quarantined subreddit (and anything that's posted in it) will never appear to anyone not specifically subscribed to it, including non-registered users. Only accounts with verified emails are allowed to subscribe to it as well. It also disables their ability to have their custom formatting and styles IIRC, which means their subreddit will appear simply as the vanilla subreddit (i.e. no giant banners of Trump or such).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, smjjames said:

@gromnir and @skarpen: The heck are you two nitpicking over the difference between case file and paper? Though I'd agree that 'case paper' isn't typically used, you can still refer to a stack of papers as a 'case file'....

I don't suppose anybody else is watching the first round of the first Democratic debates tonight?

is not really a "case file" in this situation. case file for whom?  didn't ever have a grand jury specific review trump for charges. mueller made clear he could not consider charges. investigation only. there is a difference and such minutiae can be important.  

specific nomenclature aside, this started 'cause we asked for clarification.

"It would be funny to watch how quickly would they back off if someone would give them the case papers and say

"- ok, bring this before the judge"

so we asked sharp what he meant by case papers? we were not hair-splitting when we asked for a little illumination.

"am not sure what "case papers" you is talking 'bout. am pretty sure you don't know what you is talking 'bout. volume 2 o' the mueller report is 182 pages and volume 2 is largely unredacted. fraking dream scenario for any prosecutor to have a bob mueller team o' all-stars do all the grunt work so they can slap together a formal charging document?"

sharp clarified.

"Case papers as the name suggests are papers for the case. You know the pieces of cellulose with ink on them in the shape of letters. Seems pretty simple to me. Oh well ."

sharp, as is typical, is trying to bluff his way through this. doesn't know enough to carry the bluff. 

@Guard Dog we got at least a little compassion for the folks in oregon. whether the clowns is dressed red or blue, the senators should be able to forge a compromise. yeah, the funding bills being held up ain't like trump's unilateral shutdown which cost the fed government billions o' dollars and saw fed workers go w/o pay-- oregon state workers aren't in danger o' seeing an end to paychecks anytime soon. even so, there will be delays on projects and independent contractors at some indefinite point in the future might suffer... maybe?  gonna need delay hiring a few additional state troopers, and budget money were gonna expand caseworker numbers to aid foster-care system. etc. nothing immediate and dire, but is important stuff.

*shrug* 

playing hooky as a last resort don't bother us, particular as is not even the first time the oregon senators have resorted to such. converse, a state senator advocating militia violence? another threatening violence 'gainst state troopers performing their duties? 

y'know, one thing those old movies get wrong 'bout the boston tea party is how civilized it all were. sure, the rebels dressed as indians to kinda/sorta hide their identities, but the Americans were extreme careful to not hurt anybody and to actual avoid any property damage save for the tea and the lock on the hold where the tea were kept. were no other damage to ships, persons or cargo. 

to be clear, am not suggesting the oregon senators should next engage in property damage as a form o' protest 'gainst 2019 version o' taxation w/o representation. am only bringing up to show that one o' the more dramatic and memorable examples o' unruly Americans carrying out protest were entire bloodless and carried out with almost urbane flair. 

even so, we agree oregon ain't gonna fall to pieces, or even suffer great, if a handful o' republicans hide out in "idaho" for days or weeks. however, we personal do draw a hard line at violence, but again, the threats o' violence started after gifted's hand wringing. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In case anyone wondered, Australia is an oddity. A country with a first world economy and a third world society. One of the more embarrassing cases:

Rugby player gets sacked because of discrimination against the LGBT community. He now sues the Rugby organization because they are discriminating against his religion, because it (his religion) says it's his god given holy duty to make sure that gays suffers and burns in hell (which is what he was campaigning for in social media).

I guess if they cave in and let him get away with it, next stop would be allow literal interpretation of Sharia Law for Muslims too?

His first fundraiser campaign (run by a fundamentalist Christian group, that would make the Westboro church proud) got canned by the fundraising site (GoFundMe), they apparently didn't want that kind of person being supported through them, but the ACL (Australian Christian Lobby) doesn't give up that easily and will raise funds through other means.

Their message seems to be "Stop discriminating against our discriminating other people!" /roll eyes

Hypocrites much? Yeah. Much of Australia still seems to live in the 19th Century, despite some areas having electricity and even internet now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-48753566

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

17 minutes ago, injurai said:

Isn't Australia one of the most atheist / irreligious nations on the planet?

Nope, the church, the Catholic one in particular is very powerful in many aspects of society. Hence, the welcome to the 19th Century remark.

That's also why the churches managed to cover up the rampant child molestation taking place for so long, it took a year long Royal Commission to uncover just the tip of the iceberg. We are talking about thousands of cases of rape of young boys by the priests, all of them covering each other and pulling strings to make sure even if caught, they don't/didn't get prosecuted.

The whole child abuse thing is such a touchy subject that the Church leaders are trying to stop legislation making it mandatory to report it

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/23/catholic-church-opposes-expansion-of-child-sexual-abuse-reporting-in-wa

Edit: From the wiki page for those unfamiliar with the term Royal Commission:

A royal commission is a major ad-hoc formal public inquiry into a defined issue in some monarchies. They have been held in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Saudi Arabia. A royal commission is similar in function to a commission of inquiry (or, less commonly, enquiry) found in other countries such as Ireland, South Africa, and regions such as Hong Kong. It has considerable powers, generally greater even than those of a judge but restricted to the terms of reference of the commission.

Emphasis mine, part of the reason it scares those who are subject to their investigation, sometimes being both prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner in the same body. It was particularly delightful when they took on the big banks and aired their dirty laundry and shameless business practices, right down to exposing how they charged dead people for financial advice offered after their deaths, billing the relatives.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The Australian Royal Commission on Banks was an absolute classic; a lot of people would love a sequel here where, apparently, exactly the same banks are whiter than white...

36 minutes ago, injurai said:

Isn't Australia one of the most atheist / irreligious nations on the planet?

Australia has a divide broadly similar to that in the US when it comes to 'Liberals'/ 'Conservatives' (note though that their equivalent to the Republican Party is... the Liberal Party). A lot of the people in the bigger cities are what might broadly be referred to as progressive, a lot of the rural areas and smaller towns tend to the more redneck and religious side.

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

In case anyone wondered, Australia is an oddity. A country with a first world economy and a third world society. One of the more embarrassing cases:

Rugby player gets sacked because of discrimination against the LGBT community. He now sues the Rugby organization because they are discriminating against his religion, because it (his religion) says it's his god given holy duty to make sure that gays suffers and burns in hell (which is what he was campaigning for in social media).

I think you are a bit harsh here for your own country Gorth. This is hardly embarrasing. Much worse things happens in first world countries.

At least the guy is consistent. Religious freedom exceed as much as any other freedom and that is someones else freedom. If the guy actually threathen violence for gays then yes he should face consequences.

166215__front.jpg

They need to ethnically cleanse the Bogans.

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Watched the Dem debate (with the Marlins game in PIP). My take? They all suck. Tulsi Gabard sucked less than the others. Still a goddamned Democrat though. The anti-liberty party. One of them anyway.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

LOL, I heard this on the radio just now. They put Gabard and Biden in different debates because they were afraid he'd walk over to her and sniff her hair or something weird. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

37 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Watched the Dem debate (with the Marlins game in PIP). My take? They all suck. Tulsi Gabard sucked less than the others. Still a goddamned Democrat though. The anti-liberty party. One of them anyway.

Proof that baseball is a terrible sport, there. If you can watch it along with a debate..

Missed most of it, but heard Gabbard was waving her uniform about every chance she got ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Please address the topics and not individual posters.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

24 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Proof that baseball is a terrible sport, there. If you can watch it along with a debate..

Missed most of it, but heard Gabbard was waving her uniform about every chance she got ?

Proof that the debate was so dull baseball was preferable! :lol:

No just once. When talking about staying in Afghanistan. 

Thomas Sowell

Being in utah is punishment enough, all of reddit should be quarantined, and the aussies never fail to amuse.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Being in utah is punishment enough, all of reddit should be quarantined, and the aussies never fail to amuse.

well, strictly ballroom were funny, but that yahoo serious movie failed to amuse. 

if we had to pick a winner from the debates, we would go with warren. is kinda a winner by default though 'cause nobody challenged her and she were the only candidate who were offering anything o substance. 

am wondering if same is gonna happen with bernie sanders in the second debate. bernie has a plan (albeit one we don't embrace... at all) but am suspecting the democrats is so conscientious o' not appearing to be like trump that they ain't gonna attack or even criticize bernie's platform... which were no doubt crafted in the back o' the mystery machine while enjoying "scooby snacks." 

all the tax the ultra-rich schemes o' the leading democrats ignores realities. the genuine ultra-rich ain't gonna be affected much by a change in tax bracket schemes. as has been noted previous, the rich is affected far more by capital gains rates than income tax brackets. is particular difficult to fix problems with capital gains 'cause americans is still way too invested in their personal residence, which for even middle-class is gonna represent a large sum. even so, hold property for at least a year and fed tax on gains is gonna cap at 20%, and there is so many loopholes for functional reducing such even further. 

the thing is, explaining capital gains is not good tv. tax the rich is simple and resonates. resonating with a short attention span audience is gonna be the goal. is far tougher to come up with a pithy slogan for capital gains reforms.

regardless, if we had to pick a debate winner, regardless o' personal feelings and preferences, we would go with warren. though again, watching folks avoid warren confrontation were a bit like a scene from highlander.

giphy.gif

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Would that comment be made (or was ever) for a male candidate with military background? Doubt it. 

Having military background is appealing for US voters so of course every candidate that can would capitalize on this.

166215__front.jpg

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Does it bother you that he can bring a lawsuit against his former employer over this, or that self-styled "Christian" groups are willing to foot the bill?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

15 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Would that comment be made (or was ever) for a male candidate with military background? Doubt it. 

Having military background is appealing for US voters so of course every candidate that can would capitalize on this.

What comment though ? Was a question, someone who watched it had mentioned it to me, found it a pretty funny example of politicans being so - so not really a male or female thing.  Can see what is essentially pandering being evelled at anyone though, I guess politicians are a group everyone equally distrusts, heh,

Edited by Malcador

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

She's the only one that I believe can reel in both the anti-liberty bend of the dems, while also reeling in the democracy disestablishing nepotocracy of the gop.

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL, I heard this on the radio just now. They put Gabard and Biden in different debates because they were afraid he'd walk over to her and sniff her hair or something weird.

Was that conservative radio pushing some narrative? I'd think the real reason is that they are afraid Gabbard will walk all over Biden and Biden is the clear "blessed" candidate by the party.

19 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Biden is currently the anointed one but if he should tank I wonder who is the next preferred never-Sanders establishment candidate.

Maybe Warren ?

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Maybe Warren ?

the hurdle for warren is she might appear too similar bernie to attract independents, and independents decided the last Presidential election.  look at some o' the independents on this board and ask self, given warren's views on gun control and government spending, is they likely to vote warren even if trump is the alternative?

the google trends thing is one o' those good news v. bad news items. so many new searches likely means far too many people had no idea who gabbard were before the debates.  a few o' the fringe candidates who enjoyed positive name recognition from the debates is gonna need do something to capitalize on that new awareness else they will sink back into obscurity.

perhaps sadly, is only a handful o' times in history when the debates had other than small impact on outcomes, but in the absence o' anything meaningful happening other than the debates, the tendency to overinvest in their importance is understandable.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir