Lets Get Political

Amentep

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

like most executives, buffet pays himself next to nothing in income. capital gains is where government makes money from buffet in the form o' taxes. have the secretary earn $1 for 2019 might not be the solution sharp Skarpen thinks it is.

Fixed. And reported, I will not be idle to harassment.
I was under the impression the problem was tax rate not how much he pays because of income differences. Those are two different things. If person A pays 10% from 10.000$ and person B pays 20% from 4000$ doesn't mean person B has lower tax rate. That's a different discussion altogether. 

166215__front.jpg

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

I guess Monty Python would say here, now for something completely different...

Help! We're too rich, we need to be taxed more!

American billionaires are arguing for more taxes for the super rich:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48752927

" While the group did not back a particular candidate, it praised a proposal by Democratic presidential hopeful Senator Elizabeth Warren that would lift taxes on those with more than $50m, a measure that would affect the 75,000 wealthiest families. She estimated that it would raise $2.75tn over 10 years. "

Numbers are of course all estimates by people with agendas, but even if missing the real figures by a mile, a few trillion dollars could always be used for something other than gathering dusts I guess

Edit: "The letter pointed out that fellow billionaire Warren Buffett has said he is taxed at a lower rate than his secretary. "

Those billionaires are probably quite aware of fact that most of the money they pay in taxes will eventually come back to super rich, as they provide most of the thing in which government uses tax money and services that government employees use their salaries 

32 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Those billionaires are probably quite aware of fact that most of the money they pay in taxes will eventually come back to super rich, as they provide most of the thing in which government uses tax money and services that government employees use their salaries 

Yeah thats why I call this bullcrap, if they oh so much to spend money on people noone is stopping them

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I betcha it will look like this:

Oh the humanity!

Why the hell is the plane flying this low

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, Skarpen said:

I was under the impression the problem was tax rate not how much he pays because of income differences. Those are two different things. If person A pays 10% from 10.000$ and person B pays 20% from 4000$ doesn't mean person B has lower tax rate. That's a different discussion altogether. 

tax rate is based on income earned. the more you make, the higher the rate o' taxation. is not complex. seven brackets. on first ~$19500 (maybe a scooch more... am not positive) buffet earns, he pays 10%. at other end, on amounts over $600,001, he pays 37%. buffet pays self $1. outside capital gains considerations, this puts him in the lowest tax bracket. stuff you own is not income. can have a dozen houses and a "company" jet and all kinda other stuff which is not gonna affect tax bracket. you don't pay taxes on own or worth. pay taxes on earned.

and as for gifted twisting, we would typical guess he were shooting for ironic with observations o' combativeness and working self into a frenzy. not the case, eh? nevertheless, at least try to keep on-topic. don't want the embarrassment o' you getting another mod warning.

back on-topic, am offering clarification-- our observation that misplaced admiration and concerns 'bout china do, japanese efficiency and russian moribund economic model is opposite o' gifted whine 'bout a handful o' state senators playing hookie so as to prevent a vote they know they cannot win. is our observation o' "meh" v. 

"Every one of those senators should be immediately stripped of their duties and permanently barred from holding office again."

which is the whine?

personal, we cannot work self up into that kinda frenzy o'er a few state senators or the myth o' japanese efficiency, but knock yourself out. just be careful not to go all sideways (again) and get the thread unnecessary mod attention. messy.

HA! Good Fun!

ps in case sharp saw too quick before edit, we posted numbers for single taxpayers as 'posed to married. corrected.

Edited by Gromnir
ack. curse o' being single.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

13 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

tax rate is based on income earned. the more you make, the higher the rate o' taxation. is not complex. seven brackets. on first ~$13500 (maybe a scooch more... am not positive) buffet earns, he pays 10%. at other end, on amounts over $500,001, he pays 37%. buffet pays self $1. outside capital gains considerations, this puts him in the lowest tax bracket. stuff you own is not income. can have a dozen houses and a "company" jet and all kinda other stuff which is not gonna affect tax bracket. you don't pay taxes on own or worth. pay taxes on earned.

We all know how this works. It's still not the point.

166215__front.jpg

10 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

We all know how this works. It's still not the point.

am not seeing sharp's confusion. buffet is being taxed at a lower rate than his secretary because he earns less. 

"The letter pointed out that fellow billionaire Warren Buffett has said he is taxed at a lower rate than his secretary. "

he is taxed at a lower rate precise because, as ridiculous as it seems, he doesn't earn as much as his secretary. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

the russian economy has been sunk for years, which is why any fluctuation in oil prices causes such distress. one o' your fellow posters helpful submitted a bloomberg chart a few years ago which showed worst performing currencies, with russia the absolute worst for year _______. worse than sub saharan african nations with triple digit inflation fighting wars. in the chart, norway were used as a comparison for russia. both russia and norway is highly dependent on oil exports, but norway currency were nowhere near as devastated by oil surplus. russian collapses happen, but they ain't a manufacturer or service provider-- they export petroleum. their economy can "recover" as long as they got oil, but that isn't a strength. in spite o' fact that russia suffered two oil-related upheavals in one decade, resulting in double digit % increase o' russians living in poverty, russia has made almost no changes to economy and infrastructure. 

Oddly enough you insisted that the rouble was hit mostly by sanctions over Ukraine at the time, not the oil price (that was my position, glad you've come around to it though). Nigeria and Norway were brought up to show exactly that- the rouble wasn't the worst performer, the sub saharan unsanctioned but equally oil dependent Nigeria was; Norway literally has a trillion dollar/ 200k per capita sovereign wealth fund and could send its entire population on holiday for years without running out of cash but still lost 1/3 of its currency (Krone, iirc) value despite no sanctions.

The Russians have also made plenty of changes to their economy and infrastructure, you just don't hear about them much unless there's a story to be had (usually something to do with corruption, or how their bridge across the Kerch Strait couldn't be built and now that it has been ahead of schedule how it will fall down). They're not going to turn off the spigots on their oil wells any time soon, but neither will any other oil producer.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am not seeing sharp's confusion. buffet is being taxed at a lower rate than his secretary because he earns less. 

"The letter pointed out that fellow billionaire Warren Buffett has said he is taxed at a lower rate than his secretary. "

he is taxed at a lower rate precise because, as ridiculous as it seems, he doesn't earn as much as his secretary. 

HA! Good Fun!

Still confused how someone can miss the point by so much. Oh well...

166215__front.jpg

1 minute ago, Zoraptor said:

Oddly enough you insisted that the rouble was hit mostly by sanctions over Ukraine at the time, not the oil price (that was my position, glad you've come around to it though).

no. we insisted that russia wouldn't be able to laugh off sanctions as you suggested. those currency reserves you pointed to got hit hard and russia even had to enact austerity measures targeting pensions. in addition to vulnerability to oil values, which will remain a problem for russia until they change their economy, we noted that such a precarious situation made 'em particular susceptible to sanctions... which were the exact point o' the bloomberg graphic you still don't seem to grasp. drop in oil, in spite o' similar % o' total exports for norway and russia, hit russia much harder. sanctions are particular painful for a moribund economy,  but you reimagine whichever way makes you feel better.

and no, they really hasn't made changes, which is why every time crude changes values from unexpected events. russian growth projections dramatic change too.

HA! Good Fun!

34 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Still confused how someone can miss the point by so much. Oh well...

miss the "point."  good one. very sharp.

the secretary, whom in your sexist way you assumed were a woman, doesn't have the options buffet does.  buffet's secretary is unlikely to be able to start a foundation and funnel earnings into it. can't use company planes and cars at will. from a practical pov, the secretary can't shelter funds same as does buffet.  get earnings below $19500? first thing he (gender neutral) would need do is quit being a secretary... which would invalidate the comparison. am betting buffet pays his secretary much better than $19500. 

your point is perhaps less sharp than you believe.

HA! Good Fun!

ps russia's infrastructure programmes has numerous fails in the first year, and is numerous issues in remaining projects. the sakhalin rail project is dead and moscow train to kazan is also a non-starter. typical russian cronyism will gut most o' the projects o' usefulness even if they do live past drawingboard stages.

growth continues to be projected less than 3%, which is effective a negative particular in light o' pain endured so recent and fact crude is current in russia's target range. 

Edited by Gromnir

5 hours ago, Skarpen said:

You know, I thought 'if skarp means sharp, then what's the problem?', so, I looked for myself (NOT using google translate, we all know how dodgy it's translation is) what it does mean.

Turns out skarp means turbot (a fish) in Polish. However, skarp is in Norwegian and Swedish, where it does mean sharp, both are descended from Old Norse skarpr. How the word got to Polish, I don't know, but perhaps you guys were mistaken all along?

However, it seems to be used interchangeably with scarp (an embankment or steep slope) https://context.reverso.net/translation/polish-english/skarp ? Don't know if the interchangeably part is accurate, but point is, if you had done the research *motions at gromnir*, you might not have come to the conclusion. 

edit: I threw the word at google translate and had it detect the language to see what it does and it thought it was Danish (which may be correct, given the Old Norse roots).

edit2: I just realized that skarpen mentions his love of fishing in his profile, so, in context it really does make sense that he'd use turbot, aka skarp in Polish. I was right to be skeptical at the insinuation all along.

Edited by smjjames
GAH, stupid hyperlink format got extended past where I wanted.

Allright, let's make an attempt to differentiate Skarpen from Sharp. New beginnings and all. If Skarpen has no relation to Sharp_One then the reference is annoying, if he is an alt then he can use the opportunity to turn a new leaf. 

Let's not make assumptions is what I'm saying. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

43 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

I'm very confident Debbie Bosanek is a woman.

fair enough, but am suspicious you knew the gender o' his secretary before we made our comment. 

speaking o' suspicious, as to the likelihood o' a poster who is polish and showed up short time after sharp one disappeared and is using same posting style and opinions as disappeared sharp one (save for overt racism and misogyny... excepting for some sketchy bits in "funny" thread) and whose name literally translates as sharp one being a coincidental doppelganger...

have always wondered who is the people who buy those $30 rolexes being hawked on nyc street corners. 

however, when we says "sharp," am referencing the sharp sabre in all sharp's posts. heck, am suspecting even if the sword were removed, we would have difficulty forgetting. has had profound impact on us. very sharp. in our heart am gonna forever link the poster with his very sharp sword.

HA! Good Fun!

Except the name doesn't translate to 'sharp one', not in Polish anyway. Way to spindoctor the reasoning behind using 'sharp' though, lol, but anyhow, if skarpen is still annoyed at you still calling him 'sharp', probably should resolve it in PMs.

Just out of curiosity, I decided to look up 'one' in Old Norse, used http://www.yorku.ca/inpar/language/English-Old_Norse.pdf and it only had one-handed, which is einhendr, so, that's actually pretty close if you want to go with ein=en=one. Not that I'm personally going to go with the explaination.

Time to get back on topic:

Trump thinks he needs no exit strategy for an Iran-US war.

Acting CBP secretary resigns as the border crisis escalates as 100 kids are sent back to the facility that they were sent away from. Honestly, Congress needs to investigate how things were allowed to get so bac. I know some of the answers are obvious, but still....

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

fair enough, but am suspicious you knew the gender o' his secretary before we made our comment.

I don't see it as suspicious as he could have made an assumption, because, you know, secretary.

Edited by smjjames

13 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Except the name doesn't translate to 'sharp one', not in Polish anyway. 

so what? doesn't specific translate to anything in polish. it does translate exact as sharp one. take with other factors...

so, you wanna buy a watch?

Two-Tone-Rolex-Submariner-16613-Replica-

none of which is relevant to the thread.

Trump warns Iran of ‘overwhelming force’ in the event of an attack on ‘anything American’

sadly, the drones likely have chinese parts, so chances are they don't count. heck, trump didn't even believe obama were properly american enough for Presidency. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps would it even count as a doppelganger if he were so obvious as to have used polish translation for sharp one? that would simple be an overt fu to the mods, no? 

Edited by Gromnir

I already started trying to move on, though I didn't put links in as I was throwing offramps in there. Anyways, the bluff is one that Trump had better back up with teeth because unlike NK, we can't stomp Iran like a bug, and Iran knows it, so, there is a near guarantee that Iran will try something else.

I'm not for going to war with Iran, it'd be a mess that goes nowhere, but for bluffs to work, the enemy needs to think that you can and definetly will do as you say, and Trump keeps letting people call his bluffs.

There also appears to be a complete collapse in diplomacy, or it's about to completely collapse, which isn't good either.

Edited by smjjames

21 minutes ago, smjjames said:

I don't see it as suspicious as he could have made an assumption, because, you know, secretary.

THAT was our point.

welcome to the thread.

HA! Good Fun!

16 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

ps would it even count as a doppelganger if he were so obvious as to have used polish translation for sharp one? that would simple be an overt fu to the mods, no? 

True enough (only saw your edit a minute ago)

2 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

THAT was our point.

welcome to the thread.

HA! Good Fun!

lol

Maybe, but Iran is roughly 3.5 times (I used the total land area) the size of Iraq, we'd need a lot more people to occupy that much space, and that's IF you're thinking of doing an invasion like Iraq. If we do get in a war, most likely it'd be mostly naval with the only land units being various special forces carrying out whatever missions.

That land area though doesn't take into account the various proxies which Iran WILL activate, so, the field of battle is going to be most of the mideast, not just Iran. Iraq didn't have any allies, Iran does.