Lets Get Political

Amentep

ANTIFA (was any group ever more inappropriately named?) was having some protest, or counter-protest, or something, in Oregon. I think it was right wing nazis vs left wing nazis. Not even sure which is which anymore. Anyway they decided "What the hell, lets just beat the living hell out of this journalist, or whatever he is"  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/29/andy-ngo-beaten-up-by-antifa-activists-at-portland/

Barely was mentioned in the news this weekend I couldn't help but notice. So... on a related note, who do you guys think the new Robespierre will be? I mean the angry insurrectionists are certainly there. Not nationally popular like in 1792 Paris, but then again these angry people don't have near as much of a beef. I do know one man who seems willing to ride the tiger:

190522165702-trump-storms-out-of-meeting

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

24 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

ANTIFA (was any group ever more inappropriately named?) was having some protest, or counter-protest, or something, in Oregon. I think it was right wing nazis vs left wing nazis. Not even sure which is which anymore. Anyway they decided "What the hell, lets just beat the living hell out of this journalist, or whatever he is"  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/29/andy-ngo-beaten-up-by-antifa-activists-at-portland/

Barely was mentioned in the news this weekend I couldn't help but notice. So... on a related note, who do you guys think the new Robespierre will be? I mean the angry insurrectionists are certainly there. Not nationally popular like in 1792 Paris, but then again these angry people don't have near as much of a beef. I do know one man who seems willing to ride the tiger:

Antifa are just ppl looking to beat someone or destroy/steal stuff. They are leftists darling because they have politically coreect name and to leftist the label is everything.

I doubt it would be Bernie. Bernie might be one of the first to end up on guillotine. My bet would be on the youngbloods. AOC seems bloodthirsty enough.

Edited by Skarpen

166215__front.jpg

Saw something about that over the weekend, but yeah, barely mentioned. It's not clear whether they beat him up because he was a journalist or he was beaten up because 'Conservative (who just happens to be a journalist)! Beat him up!', either way, it's a pretty clear example of the extreme fringes and matches the Horseshoe Theory of politics pretty well, to an extent anyway.

As for a 'modern day Robespierre', while he was pretty progressive for his day, as you said, the angry people aren't so angry and the country isn't in such dire straits that a revolution is sparked.

39 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

I doubt it would be Bernie. Bernie might be one of the first to end up on guillotine. My bet would be on the youngbloods. AOC seems bloodthirsty enough.

Heh. Yuri Bezmenov was certain that "true believers" would be the first to be lined up and shot after they had served their purpose and became disillusioned. I guess you believe that Bernie actually buys what he's peddling himself. Me, I'm not so sure.

Fun fact. Robespierre was, early on, opposed to the death penalty.

13 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Who's proposing to forgive mortgages? Their getting my vote fo sure!

Hammurabi.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

ANTIFA (was any group ever more inappropriately named?)...

am understanding the anger and disappointment, but bernie is a poor candidate for what you propose. is a pacifist who decries violence (regardless o' ideology) and he were involved in the peaceful protests o' multiple generations, y'know, 'cause he is so old. wouldn't call him a journalist, but he did write for a liberal publication after he finished university. also, considering he were one o' the few, consistent and vocal senators to oppose the patriot act when it were first enacted, and each time after when its lifeline were extended, is unlikely he is gonna support any group which wishes to suppress viewpoint expression.

am not a bernie fan, but am thinking you do him a disservice.   gonna need find somebody younger or at least somebody who has been less consistent supportive o' core American values. keep in mind that by even modern european standards, bernie is kinda moderate. 

however, and perhaps most significant, robespierre were a lawyer. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/hong-kong-protesters-take-over-legislative-chamber-on-handover-anniversary-38270002.html

HK heating up again as protesters have taken over the legislative building in the city...China is going to battle to control this city in there normal undemocratic way 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Isn't Ngo the fella who edits the blog that made that list Atomwaffen used as a kill list, peddles phrenology, and went along with Patriot Prayer to attack some punk bar where they broke a woman's vertebra? If that's him, seems like the equivalent of sitting with red sox fans in a yankees t and crying foul when something happens. Good grift to suck up 60k betabux for taking a few punches and getting hit with a milkshake though.

Robespierre did nothing wrong.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Saw something about that over the weekend, but yeah, barely mentioned. It's not clear whether they beat him up because he was a journalist or he was beaten up because 'Conservative (who just happens to be a journalist)! "

What's funny is they call him a white supremist yet I heard he's actually Asian and it was a bunch of whities who beat him up. 😛

The cognitive gymnastics going on is HILARIOUS even if the results are SAD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

6 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

HK reverted back to Chinese rule in 1997 and have enjoyed a lifestyle that no other Chinese do. Why wouldn't China take over? 

You cant enforce an undemocratic system on an established  historic Democracy, its going to get huge push back because people prefer Democracy and things like a fair and transparent  judicial system, human rights and freedom to criticize your government

China doesnt believe and allow these things and is slowly trying to change HK to there ways..its never going to be accepted 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Sort of laughed at how the milkshake is mentioned there when it's meaningless next to being beaten.  Don't think this is that alarming, violence in protests is nothing new and there's always a segment of society wanting to break stuff for any reason.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Iran amasses more enriched uranium than allowed.

I don't get it...they have lots of uranium, they can enrich it past 3.67%, they can build missiles...so literally the only thing they cant figure out is the bomb portion?

Curious move, just seems to make things harder for them.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

58 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Iran amasses more enriched uranium than allowed.

I don't get it...they have lots of uranium, they can enrich it past 3.67%, they can build missiles...so literally the only thing they cant figure out is the bomb portion?

Iran advertising that they are breaking the agreement imposed limits by wednesday or whenever looks to me more like an attempt to force concessions out of Yurop than a genuine effort to build a nuclear arsenal. At some point, however, what else are they going to do with all that weapons-grade uranium?

I wonder if it would be possible to negotiate a deal with Iran to pay for oil in euros. I understand private companies not wanting to run afoul of the US embargo, but if the German gov't wanted to indulge in a bit of economic command...?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Maybe they don't actually want to build nukes or maybe they already can and have chosen not to, I dunno. Most articles I've read seem to believe Iran wants to go back to the bargaining table so maybe they feel their hand is stronger if they can potentially build them but have not done so as of yet. I haven't been following it that closely but I thought the US had already backed out of the Iran Nuke-U-Ler deal.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Isnt that what this is

INSTEX is, as far as I know, a way to handle trade for private actors. This is not the same as, say, Italy buying 1,000,000 barrels of crude straight from Iran (and paying in euros) to then resell internally. It's going to fail because (1) private companies will not want to risk violating the embargo and (2) Euros are pussies that won't scratch their noses without getting express permission from the US first.

Though, after Trump backpedaled on the whole Huawei mess, I'm not sure who would take any such ultimatums seriously anymore.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯