Lets Get Political

Amentep

Hehe... someone leaked memos from the UK Ambassador in Washington intended for London. He had some interesting things to say about Trump. No surprises though, more like stating the obvious:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48898231

"We don't really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction-riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept."

He questioned whether this White House "will ever look competent".

A bit rich from a government that haven't worked out how to exit the EU yet :grin:

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

30 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Hehe... someone leaked memos from the UK Ambassador in Washington intended for London. He had some interesting things to say about Trump. No surprises though, more like stating the obvious:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48898231

"We don't really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction-riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept."

He questioned whether this White House "will ever look competent".

A bit rich from a government that haven't worked out how to exit the EU yet :grin:

Gorthfuscious !!! Thats treasonous talk....you cant call yourself a loyal subject of the crown and think the UK government has made a mess of BREXIT

Us patriots know exactly what is going to happen, Boris Johnson will be elected leader of the Conservative Party and the UK will leave the EU with no deal and no agreement  on matters like the Irish border....and its going to be an economic disaster as new economic and political deals have to be properly renegotiated. Problem solved :unsure:

When in doubt about the prudent political strategic  decisions made by the current UK  government never question it and just refer to the poem Dulce et Decorum Est  written during WW1 by  Wilfred Owen,in the final paragraph where he says

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mor

The translation in  Latin means " It is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country.” ;)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Haha 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

27 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

The translation in  Latin means " It is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country.” ;)

Oh, I'm such a bad subject of Her Majesty's 😝

I'm sure the outback is large enough to hide in.

On a serious note, you know I couldn't care less about countries and nationalism. It's some perverted idea that was introduced in 1648 that you should die for a country. Ideas and values? Maybe. Nation states? Never.

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place;' some swearing, some crying for a surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left. I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they charitably dispose of anything, when blood is their argument? Now, if these men do not die well, it will be a black matter for the king that led them to it; whom to disobey were against all proportion of subjection."

Henry V Act IV Scene I

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious !!! Thats treasonous talk....you cant call yourself a loyal subject of the crown and think the UK government has made a mess of BREXIT

Us patriots know exactly what is going to happen, Boris Johnson will be elected leader of the Conservative Party and the UK will leave the EU with no deal and no agreement  on matters like the Irish border....and its going to be an economic disaster as new economic and political deals have to be properly renegotiated. Problem solved :unsure:

When in doubt about the prudent political strategic  decisions made by the current UK  government never question it and just refer to the poem Dulce et Decorum Est  written during WW1 by  Wilfred Owen,in the final paragraph where he says

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mor

Sillyness aside, yeah, it looks inevitable at this point that Boris Johnson is going to become PM and it's going to be a Brexit crash-through. Especially given that the change in EU leadership won't actually happen until Novermber.

Speaking of economic disaster, we have a triple whammy of fiscal deadlines coming up in September and the chances of avoiding all of them don't look good. Defaulting on the debt seems like the least likely thing to happen, but then again.....

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Sillyness aside, yeah, it looks inevitable at this point that Boris Johnson is going to become PM and it's going to be a Brexit crash-through. Especially given that the change in EU leadership won't actually happen until Novermber.

Speaking of economic disaster, we have a triple whammy of fiscal deadlines coming up in September and the chances of avoiding all of them don't look good. Defaulting on the debt seems like the least likely thing to happen, but then again.....

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/melania-trump-statue-slovenia-revealed-intl-scli/index.html

Here is a  more whimsical Trump related story. Melania Trump has had a statue made in her honor from a tree  in her hometown in Slovenia, for those who might think "  Slovenia who ??? ".....it use to be part of Yugoslavia but is now an independent country in Eastern Europe . Anyway the statue  had mixed feedback, personally I like Melania and I do think she means well and has had to put up with a lot married to Trump and his numerous affairs and general disrespect to women 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Let's dispel this fiction that Melania Trump doesn't know what she's doing. She knows exactly what she's doing; she knew exactly who Trump was with his lying, womanizing, and cheating being public for many years.  Otherwise you're undergoing a systematic effort to change their marriage and make it more like the rest of the America. If I'm elected we'll embrace what makes marriage the greatest institution in the world and abolish it.

Click here to donate to my campaign and/or Patreon

PS Melania put a big duct tape X on your window if you need help

Edited by ShadySands
Politics, why does it always have to be politics
  • Haha 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I was expecting and desired a rickroll. Hmph.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It looks like Hickenlooper and Swalwell will be the first two of the 23 Democrat candidates to talk about dropping out. Hicknlooper is considering a run for the Colorado Senate seat and Swalwell says he'll decide in December with is also the deadline to run for his House seat. Too bad about Swalwell really. I imagine a President that promises to use use nuclear weapons to assist in firearms confiscation  would be highly entertaining. Or a continuation of the s--t show we have now. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

16 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It looks like Hickenlooper and Swalwell will be the first two of the 23 Democrat candidates to talk about dropping out. Hicknlooper is considering a run for the Colorado Senate seat and Swalwell says he'll decide in December with is also the deadline to run for his House seat. Too bad about Swalwell really. I imagine a President that promises to use use nuclear weapons to assist in firearms confiscation  would be highly entertaining. Or a continuation of the s--t show we have now. 

What?

"Nov 16, 2018 · Rep. Eric Swalwell, California Democrat, warned gun owners Friday that any fight over firearms would be "a short one," because the federal government has an extensive cache of nuclear weapons."

Good lord. I read now that he recently claims that it was a joke, but it sure doesn't read like a joke at the time he said it. If you're going to make a ridiculous pandering statement like that, at least pick something that makes a lick of sense.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Oh I'm quite sure he was not serious. But it wasn't funny. Would the Democrats think it was funny if the Trumpster said something like that? I'm guessing not. Of course it's worrisome when a man promises to use government violence to do a thing that violates the US Constitution. Especially after that very concept has been ruled against by the Supreme Court not once but twice recently. But hey, when has the temperament of a Presidential candidate made them unsuitable for office. Certainly not recently. 

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Mike Gravel is also wrapping up, but he wasn't one of the more serious runners.

Looks like Tom Steyer will jump into the race, though it sounds more like a gimmick/stunt. Then again, didn't Trumps candidacy start off as a sortof gimmick/stunt?

This is interesting, CNN is going to conduct a live draw for the qualification for the second set of debates. While the transparency is a good thing, I just hope they keep it all business.

edit: Politico article has some context to it. Looks like the fact that NBC took heat over doing it offcamera led to CNN deciding to be transparent where NBC wasn't. Unless CNN planned on being transparent in the first place, but either way, doesn't change the fact that NBC took heat over not being transparent.

Edited by smjjames

So.. he claimed the US gov't would nuke the US. And, people voted him in?

I believe he was serious. Not in the, 100% would do it, but it was his way to show how he dehumanizes  people he disagrees with, and it was his flippant and ignorant way to show he perceives the 'we need guns to fight the gov't' argument is silly but his whole argument is dumb.

btw, That is a threat of murder. He should be in prison.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Technically, the US govt has nuked the US, at least twice.

Threatening to do it again sounds like an attempt to pull a Trump and get attention- any sort of attention- by throwing outrageous claims about. Difficult to see that strategy work unless you already were a celebrity like Trump though and it obviously didn't work for Swalwell.

Edited by Zoraptor

https://secondnexus.com/news/eamon-javers-flooding-white-house-memes/

" Eamon Javers, a Washington correspondent for CNBC covering the White House, shared an image on Twitter Monday morning. The photo showed flooding in the White House basement. "

"Tell Trump we've found the source of the leaks."

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

https://secondnexus.com/news/eamon-javers-flooding-white-house-memes/

" Eamon Javers, a Washington correspondent for CNBC covering the White House, shared an image on Twitter Monday morning. The photo showed flooding in the White House basement. "

"Tell Trump we've found the source of the leaks."

Reading that whole thread.... :grin:

"make it more like the rest of the America"

Well... They'\re still married (for now) and are raising their son together so they're better off than at least half of the country in that regard. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

17 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

That didn’t take long.

3 hours ago, smjjames said:

Dammit! Now what am I going to do with this bomb shelter I've been digging??? :lol:

Thomas Sowell

On a related not to the departure of the world-be-nuclear-tyrant Swalwell from the race, kudos to my brothers and sisters in New Zealand for refusing to comply with their country's new gun laws: https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/30/new-zealand-struggles-to-enforce-gun-control-law/

Especially since the government there, knowing they have their own citizens over a barrel,  have been low balling them on buyback prices: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12242343

Only 700 of an estimated 1.5M have been turned in.  As I have said before, the answer to unjust laws is to disobey them. Civil disobedience in the public spaces. If they come for you and yours in your own home; uncivil disobedience. If that trash is ever tried here I would never meekly hand mine over. They only way they get them is to come and take them. The day it happens I will die, with as many of them as I can manage. 

Thomas Sowell

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/09/hong-kong-carrie-lam-says-extradition-bill-is-dead-but-stops-short-of-withdrawal

Some good  news from Hong Kong, the draconian extradition bill is effectively " dead " 

I guess  the belief in Democratic rights and the  ability of people to mobilize and  protest can have positive outcomes even when it comes to challenging an undemocratic juggernaut like China :thumbsup:

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/09/hong-kong-carrie-lam-says-extradition-bill-is-dead-but-stops-short-of-withdrawal

Some good  news from Hong Kong, the draconian extradition bill is effectively " dead " 

I guess  the belief in Democratic rights and the  ability of people to mobilize and  protest can have positive outcomes even when it comes to challenging an undemocratic juggernaut like China :thumbsup:

IMO the only appropriate response to heavy handed government is defiance. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell