Lets Get Political

Amentep

Well.... if you really want to see Donald Trump get re-elected this is certainly one way to do it: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/12/protests-ice-aurora-immigration-raids/

• Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Well.... if you really want to see Donald Trump get re-elected this is certainly one way to do it: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/12/protests-ice-aurora-immigration-raids/

This type of behavior is unacceptable, I can understand wanting to immigrate to the USA but then taking part in some protest where you vandalize and destroy the flag of the country you want to live in cannot be condoned or accepted by rationale people. It just encourages anti-immigration sentiment and feeds Trumps irrational views around immigration and the solutions to address the border problems 

People must stop blaming government institutions  like ICE for trying to enforce there mandate....they trying to do an almost impossible job so why blame them?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

39 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

This type of behavior is unacceptable, I can understand wanting to immigrate to the USA but then taking part in some protest where you vandalize and destroy the flag of the country you want to live in cannot be condoned or accepted by rationale people. It just encourages anti-immigration sentiment and feeds Trumps irrational views around immigration and the solutions to address the border problems 

People must stop blaming government institutions  like ICE for trying to enforce there mandate....they trying to do an almost impossible job so why blame them?

Yes it puts the rest of the protestors in a bad light, but seriously though, you can't expect to not have a few bad actors/apples out of millions of protestors.

Re BruceVC on flag vandalizing: It's the Blue Lives matter flag, not the US flag. I don't know what the laws are in South Africa, but flag burning (to use a slightly more extreme example) is protected free speech here. Doesn't mean that there aren't people who want to ban that practice and make it equivalent to treason.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Yes it puts the rest of the protestors in a bad light, but seriously though, you can't expect to not have a few bad actors/apples out of millions of protestors.

Re BruceVC on flag vandalizing: It's the Blue Lives matter flag, not the US flag. I don't know what the laws are in South Africa, but flag burning (to use a slightly more extreme example) is protected free speech here. Doesn't mean that there aren't people who want to ban that practice and make it equivalent to treason.

Good correction to my earlier comment , I didn't read the article properly and it wasn't the USA flag that was vandalized

I am not sure if you can burn the SA flag legally, I honestly cannot recall ever hearing about it in the history of the new SA since 1994 . I do consider flag burning by citizens in a Democracy  as extremely unpatriotic and it should be criticized but I am not sure how you would or should  criminalize it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Flag burning should not be a criminal act. Unless the flag you burned wasn't yours. Then it is criminal  petty theft. IMO if you are publicly burning a US flag you are a grade A a-----e and I have zero interest in whatever you are trying to say.  But if that is what makes you happy and it's your own flag you're burning then flame on.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

10 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Flag burning should not be a criminal act. Unless the flag you burned wasn't yours. Then it is criminal  petty theft. IMO if you are publicly burning a US flag you are a grade A a-----e and I have zero interest in whatever you are trying to say.  But if that is what makes you happy and it's your own flag you're burning then flame on.

We have law that says that burning flag is most respectful way to dispose the flag and people should dispose their flags if they aren't in prime looking condition like for example there is hole in the flag (although there is mitigation if you can patch flag such way that patch can't be see when flag is in the pole you don't need to dispose you flag).

19 minutes ago, Elerond said:

We have law that says that burning flag is most respectful way to dispose the flag and people should dispose their flags if they aren't in prime looking condition like for example there is hole in the flag (although there is mitigation if you can patch flag such way that patch can't be see when flag is in the pole you don't need to dispose you flag).

I dont see how your post is similar to people burning a flag in the interests of a protest or around some utterly illogical objective  of civil disorder?

How are they similar, what am I missing?

John Milton 

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I dont see how your post is similar to people burning a flag in the interests of a protest or around some utterly illogical objective  of civil disorder?

How are they similar, what am I missing?

The point is that people can't disrespect our flag when they burn it regardless of reason why they are burning it, as legally burning the flag is show of respect for the flag 😋

Edited by Elerond
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

The point is that people can't disrespect our flag when they burn it regardless of reason why they are burning it, as legally burning the flag is show of respect for the flag 😋

Would burning it illegally be considered disrespectful in Finland  ? 

:p

John Milton 

22 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Would burning it illegally be considered disrespectful in Finland  ? 

:p

If you take down publicly visible flag without permission you fill be fined for defacing the flag and you will most likely get conviction for vandalism if you burn flag owned by somebody else without permission.

• Like 1

Been a long time since I've had to think about flag etiquette but I believe burning is the preferred method here as well.

Personally, I don't really care. I think if you want to burn your purchased inanimate items then it's your money to throw away. Though be aware of burning restrictions in your area lest you also pay a fine for that.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Trump's had a productive weekend of tweeting edgy stuff, apparently.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He really needs to STFU on that Dem vs Dem thing. Like Napoleon would say if your enemies are committing a blunder, don't stop them. But... he just can't help himself.

Thomas Sowell

Nah, he should keep it up. At this rate, the Democrats will win by a LANDSLIDE!

Really though, he has done the metaphorical shooting in the foot (whether it's stragetically, tactically, or just plain old getting out of ones own way) so much that he doesn't even have metaphorical legs to shoot into at this point.

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

He really needs to STFU on that Dem vs Dem thing. Like Napoleon would say if your enemies are committing a blunder, don't stop them. But... he just can't help himself.

Wonder when he said that.  The film has him saying that right before Waterloo.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Wonder when he said that.  The film has him saying that right before Waterloo.

The only link I can find with any definite date of it being said: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/07/06/never-interfere/#more-875 has it being said a decade before Waterloo. Though given that it's a maxim of/in war, I wouldn't be surprised if Sun Tzu and Clausewitz have things with the same meaning.

Still, as much as the Democrats would like Trump to stew in his own tweet-fluids and let him self destruct, not fighting back is not an option here.

I always thought that quote was apocryphal. This election is the Dems to lose. But if one of the raging lefties gets nominated lose they shall. Biden can win. Gabbard can win. Hell even I'd vote for Gabbard.  The rest, maybe, maybe not.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

44 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I always thought that quote was apocryphal. This election is the Dems to lose. But if one of the raging lefties gets nominated lose they shall. Biden can win. Gabbard can win. Hell even I'd vote for Gabbard.  The rest, maybe, maybe not.

It's certainly enough of a maxim that it likely is, or Napoleon just popularized it or something.

As for 'one of the raging leftists', given how Trump is a 'raging rightist' (though he is rather moderate in some areas) and how people dismissed him as not going to win, I wouldn't underestimate that side or dismiss the possibility.

29 minutes ago, Malcador said:

@ graham: You keep using that word (the C word), but I don't think it means what you think it means.

Edited by smjjames

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

IIRC the quote is quasi genuine and comes ultimately from one of Napoleon's marshalls' memoirs (though you'd think some of his marshalls were in completely different battles based on their recollections, so it may be made up by that Marshall), but was creatively translated to english as something Napoleon 'should' have said. It was in regard to the Allies pulling troops off the Prinzen (?) Heights during the Battle of Austerlitz to attack his flank, heights Napoleon then took so winning the battle comprehensively; one of his commanders wanted reinforcements to defend that flank and N refused based on it potentially meaning the Allies would stop moving their troops from the heights.

Doubt Gabbard could win, as she's Hindu and religion still seems to matter a lot to many in the US.