Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Opinion on the game from an old BG2 fan

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

ArnoldRimmer

ArnoldRimmer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 270 posts

1. do people not realize the game you played as a kid seemed harder because you were a kid

2. every game ever has a board somewhere with about 12 dudes who post constantly complaining it's too easy. if the extremely hard niche game is too easy I suggest trying to learn how to play an instrument or something

personally I'm frustrated by how hard the dragon fight is on heart of winter and the fact that the other dlc is EVEN HARDER. I want to have FUN thanks guys for the constant complaints about difficulty now the DLC can only be finished by 1 percent of the audience

Yeah that dragon is hard... and whats worse - you can't leave until you kill it I went there too early and didn't know this, by the time I found out loads of autosaves had been overwritten and I had to go back to save from two hours before. I found it best to use Arcane Dampner on it to bring down it's buffs.

I'm disappointed with the DLC, it seems to require min-maxed characters that are designed to exploit game mechanics or require a chanter to spam skeletons for 40 minutes. This content isn't for people who RP or who don't min-max, it's for people who have the time on their hands to spend a whole day on one fight or for people who want to test out builds. Personally I don't.

They should have given it away to all the arch-mages on this board... most of the DLC I will never see as it is too hard. Yeah I could start a game on veteran but then a lot is too easy, plus it's another 60+ hours of playing just to get to the DLC

Edited by ArnoldRimmer, 12 February 2019 - 12:13 AM.

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 549 posts

1. do people not realize the game you played as a kid seemed harder because you were a kid

2. every game ever has a board somewhere with about 12 dudes who post constantly complaining it's too easy. if the extremely hard niche game is too easy I suggest trying to learn how to play an instrument or something

personally I'm frustrated by how hard the dragon fight is on heart of winter and the fact that the other dlc is EVEN HARDER. I want to have FUN thanks guys for the constant complaints about difficulty now the DLC can only be finished by 1 percent of the audience

I'm disappointed with the DLC, it seems to require min-maxed characters that are designed to exploit game mechanics or require a chanter to spam skeletons for 40 minutes. This content isn't for people who RP or who don't min-max, it's for people who have the time on their hands to spend a whole day on one fight or for people who want to test out builds. Personally I don't.

I can vouch that you are wrong. I never min-max, I don't even know the game mechanics well enough to exploit them and I've never had a chanter in this game. I just role-play.

However, the dragon is hard. Not as hard as the alpine dragon in PoE, but it is hard. It looks manageable in the beginning, but once it starts casting that protection spell, things become considerably more difficult and you're going to need plenty of wit and resources. Also, the three helpers you may have gathered along the way can prove invaluable. I only had one of them, because I had apparently been overly generous during the DLC, but he turned out to be extremely useful.

Edited by xzar_monty, 12 February 2019 - 01:26 AM.

Verde

Verde

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1372 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG

You have no room to complain when there are difficulty levels. What more do you want?

Edited by Verde, 12 February 2019 - 04:47 AM.

bringingyouthefuture

bringingyouthefuture

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

but from what I have read BG2 was only great because of the mods, the base game was always so-so  ... 

im one of the first to get ratty when peeps lionise bg2 at expense of progress - and efforts of devs currently making a living from crpgs. regardless, i think bg2's a wonderful big-hearted game that id recommend with little reserve. its enthusiasm overshadows many of its peccadilloes imo.

Sorry wasn't clear in my post, wasn't referring to the game, was just referring to the combat :) -- oh BG2, you're like that best friend from middle school who was the first to kiss a girl ...

Verde

Verde

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1372 posts
BG2's combat was mostly dependent upon casters, but it was multilayered and fun so it worked. I also liked how having a Thief was almost mandatory for dungeon diving and you could cast spells OUTside of combat.

mydnightscrivener

mydnightscrivener

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts

BG2's combat was mostly dependent upon casters, but it was multilayered and fun so it worked. I also liked how having a Thief was almost mandatory for dungeon diving and you could cast spells OUTside of combat.

Try Pathfinder Kingmaker.

• kanisatha likes this

Verde

Verde

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1372 posts

I've heard scary things. I may wait for a year or more to let it settle.

Edited by Verde, 14 February 2019 - 10:29 AM.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've heard scary things. I may wait for a year or more to let it settle.

The scary claims are overblown. The game is in a perfectly playable state and is truly very good. But it does not hold your hand.

bugarup

bugarup

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The scary claims are overblown. The game is in a perfectly playable state and is truly very good. But it does not hold your hand.

It does hold your feet though.  :devil:

• kanisatha and xzar_monty like this

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 549 posts

The game is good, I agree, but the writing is extremely clichéd, basically pulp. With plenty of exclamation marks, too! So coming to it from Deadfire may feel... surprising.

And yes, you don't walk very fast at all.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The game is good, I agree, but the writing is extremely clichéd, basically pulp. With plenty of exclamation marks, too! So coming to it from Deadfire may feel... surprising.

Hey that's just the way Russians talk. They're trying to translate talking with your hands to text, so lot's of exclamations. :)

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 549 posts

Hey that's just the way Russians talk. They're trying to translate talking with your hands to text, so lot's of exclamations. :)

You're talking about stereotypical South Europeans now, Italians especially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users