RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

I'm going to lose a lot of time some day... question when is the release date???

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Seems like a strange move for Phoenix Point, considering they said it would be on Steam during the fig campaign (and the faq still says that.) I wonder if there is a miscommunication? I'd have no problem if it was on Epic a week or two early, but a year sounds crazy.

They have clearly stated on the Phoenix Point website that backers will get the Epic Store key and then, after a year also a choice of either Steam or GOG.

https://phoenixpoint.info/epicfaq?_ga=2.50455979.366310557.1552422198-21793489.1539077113

Heh. That passage:

All backers up to this point will also STILL receive a Steam or GOG key after the 1 year exclusivity period.

Wasn't there yesterday when I posted. That pretty much means they can keep my pledge and I'll just sit it out. It'll probably take them a year to work out the kinks anyway.

Possibly to diversify their user base beyond "Fortnite teenage wangsters".

**** move considering that this is altering the deal people went into shortly before it's their turn to deliver. Worst case scenario, they've effectively received a 0% interest loan from you and a few thousand more suckers. I'd bet most will cave and install EGS because "gamers" just can't go without their fix, and we don't know to what extent Snapshot are covered by their deal with Epic anyway.

However, do look on the bright side. When you finally get your Steam or GOG key, it'll be extra polished and complete with all bells and whistles.

And there's always Xenonauts 2.

As stated above - Snapshot giving out keys on other promised platforms, only later, is a newish addendum to their FAQ. They already backpedalled on that. Of course I didn't save the text but yesterday the FAQ read "I'm sorry if we lost you during this move, you can request a refund", I'm pretty sure the option to sit out the exclusivity period was added as a quick fix to all the complaining. Or all he refunding. Which means poor Julian underestimated the reaction to his revelation.

The crowdfunding, uhm, crowd can be pretty anal about this. Grim Dawn only appeared on GOG after a lot of people complained to Crate that they still haven't delivered on their DRM free promise where the lead dev later popped onto the forum and explained that the thought the issue would be through with not having DRM on Steam and that he doesn't quite understand why Steam's the devil in these people's minds.

I can only assume Epic is going to cover a lot. Regardless of it being the new hot thing on the market or not, the move is a risk for an indie game 40% funded by investors wanting to see at least some RoI (and Fig*'s flagship project Deadfire already tanked in that department). Limiting sales, possibly drastically, only makes sense if Snapshot blew the money and are hurting for more.

Of course I know that Epic is trying to diversify, but Phoenix Point seems like a really bad choice. It's a niche game in an already niche market that most people only care about because XCOM was a hit for some reason.

*Speaking of Fig, I presume that idea is finished. Deadfire sales didn't live up, Microsoft bought half their advisory board and now one of their better received campaigns is making exclusivity deals after the fact.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah,

They added it within the first two hours of the announcement, but it apparently wasn't in the initial text.

I just can't get all that up in arms about it, because it is less problematic than Harebvrained's announcement for Shadorwun Returns back when they were going to go Steam exclusive and would drop the promised GOG keys, because after nearly finishing the game, and having wasted most of backer's cash on scrapping everything and changing engine, and dropping the in-game mod support, they finally read the licensing agreement with Microsoft and found out they had to have DRM.

Then we were supposed to blame evil Microsoft and rally around the poor devs who made promises to backers without reading the contracts they were signing.

Harebrained had not offered refunds. How could they, they had already wasted all the money.

Snapshot on the other hand is making an stupid move, but it does come out of deliberation. It may enrage part of gamer culture for a while, but that may blow over, and if it turns out the way they hope it may make the studio healthier.

And the addendum to the FAQ came out a LOT faster.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, but people have put up with this kind of **** moves before.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but on this forum I am in the vast minority holding a grudge over the SR thing; most people forgot or didn't care.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Limiting sales, possibly drastically, only makes sense if Snapshot blew the money and are hurting for more.

I wouldn't be surprised. It is an ambitious project and very much looks like one people would miscalculate the costs of.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Yeah,

They added it within the first two hours of the announcement, but it apparently wasn't in the initial text.

I just can't get all that up in arms about it, because it is less problematic than Harebvrained's announcement for Shadorwun Returns back when they were going to go Steam exclusive and would drop the promised GOG keys, because after nearly finishing the game, and having wasted most of backer's cash on scrapping everything and changing engine, and dropping the in-game mod support, they finally read the licensing agreement with Microsoft and found out they had to have DRM.

Then we were supposed to blame evil Microsoft and rally around the poor devs who made promises to backers without reading the contracts they were signing.

Harebrained had not offered refunds. How could they, they had already wasted all the money.

Snapshot on the other hand is making an stupid move, but it does come out of deliberation. It may enrage part of gamer culture for a while, but that may blow over, and if it turns out the way they hope it may make the studio healthier.

And the addendum to the FAQ came out a LOT faster.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, but people have put up with this kind of **** moves before.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but on this forum I am in the vast minority holding a grudge over the SR thing; most people forgot or didn't care.

It's a fairly deliberate move (btw, PP was going to be on Gog, so there's that as well) Also won't be surprised at all if they suddenly decide to add DRM on top given how true to their word they've proven themselves to be I kinda expect anything at this point.

Moreover I'm pretty sure what they're doing here is illegal (at least in the EU) since they've already started taking money for pre-orders. I suspect they're just hoping that the "it's just a game" mentality will persevere and they get away with blatantly violating consumer protection laws.

Limiting sales, possibly drastically, only makes sense if Snapshot blew the money and are hurting for more.

I wouldn't be surprised. It is an ambitious project and very much looks like one people would miscalculate the costs of.

Oh, they calculated it alright, according to a screenshot from the official Discord that's circulating on Reddit they've done the math. So they very deliberately scammed their backers (also Epic must be throwing stupid amounts of money at them for how niche this game is if they can fund the studio on it for a year). Guess they didn't watch Metro close enough or they should have expected this backlash.

Refunds also go through a third party instead of the same channel the original pledge went through (wonder how the GDPR factors in there). I'll see what they're planning on doing about honouring the original deal with their backers and pre-order buyers (which they legally should, it wasn't just out of the kindness of their hearts epic "allowed" it for Metro). If they don't do that I might go and talk to the Consumer Protection Agency, given how Snapshot Games is headquartered in the EU (Bulgaria) this means I'm even entitled to free legal advice, apparently.

I don't see an issue with legality. They promised Steam and GOG keys. They have made the change to the announcement that they will provide Steam and GOG keys with a delay. They have offered full refunds to anyone who is not OK with it.

So I am not seeing what deal they aren't honoring as far as the letter of the law goes.

I don't see an issue with legality. They promised Steam and GOG keys. They have made the change to the announcement that they will provide Steam and GOG keys with a delay. They have offered full refunds to anyone who is not OK with it.

So I am not seeing what deal they aren't honoring as far as the letter of the law goes.

depends, delivery date is also part of contract. Even if its not set you might argue that it was precieved that it will be date when product is avalible for public consumption. I didnt read that FIg page so I am not sure

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And with crowdfunding delivery dates are in constant limbo. I expect at best you could get a refund, but as that is already offered, there is no legal action to take. You can't sue someone to get something they have freely offered.

"If you offer me a full refund I'll sue you for a full refund!" is not the basis for legal action.

For legal actions you must prove damage.

If you weren't damaged financially by a transaction as you are offered a refund, what damages are you arguing?

And people are not currently complaining about the delay or comparative access to the game. They are arguing about not getting Steam or GOG keys,which within two hours of the announcement were then offered (with the delay). I can't argue I am not getting something, at least not in a legal frame, when a clear frame of when I'll get exactly that has been given. If that time frame is not to my liking I can demand a refund. And that has freely been offered.

But as outrageous choices go, this is one of the most harmless ones I have seen.

We are all old enough to have witnessed EA's planned DRM for Spore (go online daily, if you fail to go online two days in a row permanently lose access to the game), SecuROM, and so much more.

I think the EPIC store exclusive thing is bad. I think it is a crap move to tell people that if they want their platform of choice they have to wait a year. I think for pre-orders that is especially problematic, because while crowdfunding is in theory less of a purchase but funding, pre-orders are purchases with an implied promise of release day access.

I do feel people should adapt their outrage as the situation changes, and be honest about what they are outraged about.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

I am not a lawyer but lets say you order a car and pay for it and you do it with consent that car will be delivered to you as soon as it have been manufactured.

now company making that car decide thta they will nto deliver it to you but instead put it into autosalon where other people can buy car you funded but you have to wait a year to get it delivered to you personally.

I don't know but to me it sounds fishy

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

PP move to Epic is a bit sucky. But with some clarification and promises it seems like a move which will benefit all parties involved in the end.

1) Pre-Epic_exclusive_announcement backers will receive a key for Epic Store on launch, and another key for a platform of they choosing after the exclusivity deal will expire (the second half was added soon after the backlash started.

2) Those early backers will receive a year of free DLC - according to Julian they plan to release 3 paid DLC on top of free updates. Those will transfer to the secondary platform after a year has passed.

3) Game will still be DRM free. One needs Epic Store to download and update the game, but once it is done one doesn't need to open the application and it can even be removed. According to Gallop achievements and cloud saves are to be added to the Epic Store by the time PP releases.

4) Snapshot got a cash injections, giving them stability and allowing them to work on Phoenix Point post launch - something which they kept in "if it does well" category till this point.

It's inconvienent, but other than that it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Edited by Wormerine

and some people have principles to not support chinese goverment and are pissed

What principles are those ? Not really sure gamers really have those.

Realize waiting a year won't be a problem as I continually forget i even backed Phoenix Point.  Sort of like Star Citizen. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There are still some gamers who stay true to their principles, most of them are not target audience for AAA companies though, that's why understand of an Indie developer does something bordering with AAA shadiness, some blood will be boiled.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Realize waiting a year won't be a problem as I continually forget i even backed Phoenix Point.  Sort of like Star Citizen. 

what nonsense is this statement, are you saying people does not have principles or that gamers are not humans?

Well, on one hand he is kind of right. If all gamers had at least some basic principles, EA would be out of business years ago ;)

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

what nonsense is this statement, are you saying people does not have principles or that gamers are not humans?

Well gamers being humans is debatable in some cases...  but generally when it comes to gamers, company loyalty does wonders.  Lots of people on jihad against Epic are cool with Steam exclusives.  And you can take a look at pretty much every impotent gamer "outrage".   

Last I'd head the stuff about Epic via Tencent being some Evil Minion of the Chinese was most rumour.  But was curious what principle gamers supposedly had that would be violated by supporting Epic w.r.t the Chinese. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Of course I know that Epic is trying to diversify, but Phoenix Point seems like a really bad choice. It's a niche game in an already niche market that most people only care about because XCOM was a hit for some reason.

Yeah, but what other turn-based tactical games are being released? Legit question. I suppose they could court Goldhawk, but Xenonauts' footprint isn't much bigger. The obvious alternative is Firaxis, but I'm guessing Epic would have to offer 2K more money than an exclusivity deal is worth to them.

Poaching small and medium size developers is likely to get them the most bang for their buck, and megapublishers are notoriously risk-averse anyway.

I would be surprised if they haven't contacted PDX regarding Rome. Just imagine...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I would be surprised if they haven't contacted PDX regarding Rome. Just imagine...

That would be a good idea for them. Paradox fans going loco is an added bonus.