Forgotten Sanctum and insta death without injuries

Valordin

Question

So I have been really enjoying this game. Up till today where out of nowhere, any time one of my party members gets "downed" they immediately just die completely and exit party. Looking at the combat log, sometimes, it doesnt show anything even killing the party member. Just that they died and left party. No, before you all ask, I dont have Grog as a pet. The game was working totally fine up till i started in the Forgotten Sanctum. I first noticed it on my second or third wipe on the first few Vithracks when you first start. I am playing on POTD. The first few pulls the Vithracks blew me up pretty hard core because I wasnt expecting so much dmg from the caster with that purple lazer thing. Well, needless to say, it killed my ranged group in about a second. At this point, the game is working fine. I wipe and reload. I think I wiped again and then on the third time attempting it, If one of my characters get unconcious, they just permadeath on me and leave group. No injuries on anyone. It can even happen to my main character. What gives? I have now made it to the room with the ghost child that spawns a billion adds and i have given up trying to work around this issue and and looking here for a fix. Please Help!@!!

• Like 1

22 answers to this question

I am getting the same issue as well when I am fighting the luminescent spores in the quarantine section.  I think it happened in one of the seeker slayer fights as well.  Seems to say luminescent spore infected eder with Llengraths teachings and then shortly after hes just dead.

this hasn't been fixed yet. i'm insta-dying while fighting Luminescent Spores in the Sanctum. zero injuries; spore not only insta-downs my hero, but outright kills him when he has zero injuries at the beginning of the fight. as the first poster stated, i imagine this bug gets a lot worse later in the dungeon.

seems to be related to Lengraths Teachings or Safeguard being cast by the Spore, and getting charmed. i think charmed targets outright die when the charm is up.

i'm a bit amazed this game-breaking bug hasn't been fixed after so many months. instead of enjoying the dungeon, i basically have to suffer by letting my lvl 20 heroes die, looting them, and retraining them after each Spore encounter (i sure as hell aint redoing these fights). weird how this bug isn't discussed much.

Edited by umie214

I am also experiencing this issue.  In my case, it's happening in the Seeker Slayer Survivor arena.  

In the Maerwald fight, Konstanten had over half his health left and no injuries, then suddenly died and was deleted from the party.  I tried to find what had happened to him in the combat log, but it looks like he only got hit by a few magic missiles.  Here are my savegame fiels from before and after the fight.

Before:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbsysg6axdrhizi/Litni%20%28c4541131-fa71-4c99-ab9a-37190b115afd%29%20%28LAX-123ABCDEFGH%29%20autosave_1.savegame?dl=0

After:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jnnhcebjauy1a6/Litni%20%28c4541131-fa71-4c99-ab9a-37190b115afd%29%20%28LAX-123ABCDEFGH%29%20autosave_2.savegame?dl=0

I hope this issue gets prioritized soon.  Having a companion with story content get randomly deleted is a pretty heavy roadblock to playing.

Just to be sure: you don't have the pet "Grog" equipped, have you? OP didn't and I assume you also don't use it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask... :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I could not infer it from the combat log: it simply said "X is dead. X left the party" (I did not look accurately though). Besides, it happened only to a specific character (SC Barbarian, adventurer). In the same fight another character died normally. It may be related to the Ring of Reset, that was equipped by the character who died without injuries. After the second try the ring started to work properly, resurrecting my Barbarian without problems. 

Edited by peolone

I also have encountered this issue sanctum. It seems to be related to the charm effect, whenever someone get charmed by those giant spores and the effect expires the affected charecter is killed off.

On a different note those little sporlings in sanctum seem to remove wizard buffs with their dominating spores, went in full buffed including a antidot and the first attack from sporling dispelled everything including the antidot.

Very frustrated and made me register in forum and make this post. Will there be anymore patches? Because those issues seem pretty game breaking to me.

On 7/24/2019 at 9:15 PM, kruze said:

I also have encountered this issue sanctum. It seems to be related to the charm effect, whenever someone get charmed by those giant spores and the effect expires the affected charecter is killed off.

It's strange. It happened again the other day during the fight against Sissak. Character wasn't charmed but had still the Ring of Reset equipped. As for now, the only thing noticeable is that it happens during FS.  🤔

23 hours ago, peolone said:

It's strange. It happened again the other day during the fight against Sissak. Character wasn't charmed but had still the Ring of Reset equipped. As for now, the only thing noticeable is that it happens during FS.  🤔

Does the fight involve cipher spells like desintegrate? I don't believe vithraks do this, but maybe Sissak himself does those things.

Anyway, i have tested the charm effect to death thing more thoroughly now by using summoned wurms and eder as guinea pigs, it happens in 90% of the case when the effect expires the affected character simply dies, sofar only spores in sanctum does this, normal dank spores is not a problem.

Yep, i really love this game, but the whole forgotten sanctum dlc is such a pain.

How is it even possible that it's still not fixed after more than a year ??

First these Spores in Archive and now Vithracks in Collections. This insta kill bs is game breaking. But i guess nothing changed since last year so this one will be ignored aswell.

I really hope at some point i'm able to play this dlc, because this is such outrageous. A man can dream.

Sadly I've encountered the same thing, fighting against "Frightened Child" and totally killed my main with 0 injury, which unfortunately my main was a non-tank ranged (mage), but still being targeted since the enemy is also ranged (mage). This is totally disgusting, as I've spent ton of hours and it just gone like that, without a warning, just like that. I'm fine with Mega Boss as it could be avoided but this, this is low blow. I don't know what was in the mind of the devs when they implemented this inconsistency, "do you want us to like your game or not?". This game doesn't deserve the 8's rating it has, it deserves lower IMO

Just in case anyone is still struggling with this issue. Pretty sure it is not a glitch but an effect of the disintegrate spell. Spell is damage over time so in a busy combat log the intitial message that a character has been hit by it can be easily lost and by the time it insta kills it can look like a character has died for no reason. The spell in particularly pernicious because if the character's health reaches 0 for pretty much any reason while affected they die.

Here are some tips for mitigating against this. 

First; keep an eye out for the spell and if your characters are under its effect (it has a pretty noticable graphic when its affecting a character once you know what to look for)

Second; buff! There are three things you can buff that help: (i) health (via constitution buffs usually), (ii) spell resistance, (iii) fortitude (the disintegrate spell is vs fortitude). Constitution buffs help with i & iii so if nothing else a rest with your highest con boosting foodstuff is a good start. 

Third; once a character is bloodied or below healing them should be a priority, especially if they are a low health chracter. If, like me, you tend to have only one healer in your party then stock up on potions and scrolls. 

Forth; for mages you can use arcane reflection (there are also potions of this as well as a lesser version) to provide protection for some period of time.

Finally; if all else fails the priest spell (and common scroll) of withdraw can be used. It will take the character out of play for 20s but it instantly stops any damage over time effect. 

Edited by Sam Wardell
correction

So im having the same problem.   Im playing the forgotten Sanctum fighting the  Large Luminescent spore trying to assimilate me.  Eder became charmed and a few turns latter  "Luminescent spore affects elder with Llengraths Teaching" and he was insta killed.  Is this a bug ?