RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

Looks very good, lotta Japanese mechs, no American or European mechs = Win.

The top seller of 2019, no need to doubt it.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The successor to the Yakuza series with much improved combat.

Yet another exclusive that proves that Sony has better games than anything on PC or Xbox. Sony be killin it.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

One of the year's best games also has one of the best cosplay suits ever made. Coincidence?

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/11/-marvel-spider-man-new-game-plus-mode-coming/

New Game+ mode coming to one of the best games this year (Spider-Man PS4) will feature minor changes to main storyline and other new things to discover.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/09/12/nba-2k19-is-a-nightmarish-vision-of-our-microtransaction-stuffed-future

NBA 2K19 is constantly begging you to spend VC. You’re asked to spend VC on Gatorade for performance boosts, on vehicles to make progression around the plodding Neighbourhood mode quicker, on shoes, on clothes. It’s relentless, in your face the moment you turn the game on, and doesn’t leave you until the second you quit (quite literally, since GET VC is right there underneath QUIT).

Ah, I love it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Or do things the hard way. In theory, and I know there will be very dedicated players who will argue this, you can avoid paying extra money by simply improving your player organically. VC is awarded in other ways, mostly through game performance, so it’s definitely possible to start from the bottom and work your way to the top purely through playing your way there, even if it takes months. But the higher your stats get, the more VC improving them costs, so where it might initially only take a few games to move up a point, it can later take days or even weeks. And while loads of people are willing to do this, are we really even having this conversation right now? This kind of rationale is mobile game ****, the kind of odious formula work that you expect to see from something like Mobile Strike, not a major home console title.

"Im not levelling up effortlessly / fast enough!"

Already looks to be better than the rpg's that released this year. Looking forward to it!

Reminds me of Deep Down, with some Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls mixed in.

Edit: Throw in some Monster Hunter too.

The graphics immediately gave me a really big Dragon's Dogma vibe. Here's to hoping the combat is closer to Dragon's Dogma than to Dark Souls.

• Like 1

Aye, who wants to work to improve thier characters!?!? Maybe games should just be released where your characters are already maximum level and stats and already be wearing the best gear. *nodnod*

Think how much money the developers could extract from customers though.   That and I'd get a kick out of watching everyone rage over it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The problem isn't "working to improve their characters". It's the unreasonable amount of time you have to spend on it. It's boring and tedious on purpose, to make you spend real money and skip this crap.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Aye, who wants to work to improve thier characters!?!? Maybe games should just be released where your characters are already maximum level and stats and already be wearing the best gear. *nodnod*

Have you actually played a game that does this, or are just triggered by the very idea of people not wanting to grind for hours on end?

See, they said the same thing about Battlefront II, and then someone did the math of what it would take to unlock everything without microtransactions, and came up with a figure in the thousands of hours -- and that was just the base game. Perhaps that by itself doesn't tell you anything, but the problem is that the progression curve is designed with microtransactions in mind. It is *meant* to be discouraging, because if you're having fun and unlocking stuff at a reasonable pace, it would be only an extremely small minority that would pay to speed things up. That's exactly what commentators mean when they say that **** doesn't belong in a $60 title.

By the way, even EA dialed back the grind after word got around.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Think how much money the developers could extract from customers though.   That and I'd get a kick out of watching everyone rage over it.

Over 10 years ago I could buy a fully leveled and geared toon for WoW from some helpful Chinese citizens. Life...life finds a way... :shrugz: 

The problem isn't "working to improve their characters". It's the unreasonable amount of time you have to spend on it. It's boring and tedious on purpose, to make you spend real money and skip this crap.

Whats "unreasonable"? For the author, obviously "months" was too onerous. "Months" is fine with me. What about Lexx? l33t? Malc?

Have you actually played a game that does this, or are just triggered by the very idea of people not wanting to grind for hours on end?

I don't think you know what that word means. This is a location where we gather to discuss . I have no personal stake in you being butthurt over a games power progression curve. I also happen to be the consummate grinding burro and I don't get sad when someone else in the world unlocks something before me. But if I was, then I could just buy it. Win/win for everyone! Inb4 "but me OCD!"

I don't think you know what that word means. This is a location where we gather to discuss <stuff>. I have no personal stake in you being butthurt over a games power progression curve. I also happen to be the consummate grinding burro and I don't get sad when someone else in the world unlocks something before me. But if I was, then I could just buy it. Win/win for everyone! Inb4 "but me OCD!"

Haha. That's positively hilarious coming from you, considering your liberal use of the word when talking about things other people mildly dislike.

I noticed that you didn't actually answer my question, which leads me to believe that you're talking out of your ass. Par for the course.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Almost every single game I play offers microtransactions. What are you going to whine about now?

You mean they have added microtransactions to Forum Strawman Simulator '18 too? Damn.

Edited by 213374U

"Squeal squeal, you didn't answer my question. I guess you've ran yourself out of soundbytes?"

Oh, that was a genuine question? Well, if you must know, I guess I'll whine about... DOMS. Killer shoulder workout yesterday. Don't see how that's relevant to the topic, but hey, you're the mod.

And you still haven't answered. Mobile games don't count because, you know, freemium. WoW? IIRC you can buy a max level token, but that still doesn't allow you to buy BiS gear, so the progression curve design doesn't take microtransactions into consideration.

So, again, what full price title have you played lately that offers microtransactions related to progression? It's a really simple question.

I haven't bought a game in almost 5-7(?) years but that's neither here nor there. Because I can read. :yes:

So;

You don't want to work for it (too much)

You don't want to pay for it (at all)

You get tore up from the floor up if someone else does

Youre really only concerned for the children, gambling addicts, "cant control impulses"...wait...whats your butthurt all about again?

Because I can read. :yes:

Jury's still out on that. Especially considering that literally in the first page of the Google search you just posted there's a link about paying $700+ to unlock everything in For Honor.

But thank you for finally admitting that, once again, you don't know what you are talking about.

I'm not really "concerned". I just don't like games that I'd potentially want to play tainted by progression schemes designed to nickel-and-dime me by slowing progression down to a crawl. And I'm used to the kind of grind present in (western) MMOs. It's that simple.

• Like 2