What did you do today?

Gorth

That sucks LA. Get lots of rest.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

i drove 4000 km in the last week... and probably walked as many

first i went to Hanover for the wedding of a cousin. i took a ship to Ancona, Italy and drove through Austria and all the way to Hanover in north Germany. after the wedding i went to Berlin and after touring the city for a day (about 9 hours of walking) i left for Prague. i spend a day (8 hours of walking) there and the next day i left for Budapest where i spend one more day (8 hours of walking) before going through the torture of waiting in the borders of Serbia for 2 hours before going through the entire country and waiting another 2 hours at the Bulgarian borders before finally getting back to Greece (fortunately, except for Serbia all other countries are part of the EU and there were no border controls).

and on the way the clutch of my car stopped working right so changing gears became a struggle. if the problem had presented itself on Italy i could have done something about it because i know the language and could explain the problem to the mechanic, but it happened in Germany where finding someone who speaks any other language was really hard. in the end i found a workaround which is to keep my foot on the clutch at all times to keep it working... a very hard thing to do for so many hours of driving.

the funniest part was in Berlin when i found a parking ticket on my car. it was just 10 euros but i found it strange to find it there because parking was allowed there. after inspecting the ticket a bit more i realized it was issued to a different car and that driver dumped it on my car thinking that since i was a foreigner i would fail to notice it and pay for him.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Went fishing this morning and it was almost a banner day. Caught one small catfish, lost one medium size sheephead on a broken line, but the whopper that got away was ~20 carp. It hit my line so hard my pole almost bent in half and I sprinted over there to grab it. Fought it for a little bit, then it ran my line (!), then I fought it a bit and it ran my line again (!). My buddy and another guy ran over to watch and just as I got it close to shore I saw one last flash of silver from its scales and *snap* went my line. I was simultaneously crushed and exhilarated at the same time. :lol:

• Like 4

Cool story!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yesterday we went to California Grand Adventures and had a pretty good time. The new Guardians of the Galaxy ride (formerly Tower of Terror) was excellent, they really went above and beyond on the design of the place. Sometimes the best part of these Disney rides is just walking through the lines. 

Today I'm doing laundry and grocery shopping, then probably going for a long bike ride. Tomorrow we drive out towards Yosemite.

• Like 1

My American Truck Simulator adventure is now in full swing. I still haven't been west of I-35, but I've now driven through every state east of I-35 except New York and the New England states (I use to live in Connecticut so I saw plenty of those states years ago).

Living in the Carolinas I'm not unaccustomed to heat, but I now understand that the level of heat in Texas is on a whole other level. Of the 7 or 8 days I was in Texas I think it hit 100+ all but one of them. Laredo was 110 one of the days I was there. No amount of "dry heat" makes 110 comfortable.

Anyway, I'm on my way to Pennsylvania to drop a load. Kind of nice to be well ahead of schedule for once. I can take my sweet ass time before I get going tomorrow morning.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Playing Skyrim again. So help me THIS time I will finish it! Lots of mods on the SS Edition. But some of my favorites were never moved from regular. Oh well. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Playing Skyrim again. So help me THIS time I will finish it! Lots of mods on the SS Edition. But some of my favorites were never moved from regular. Oh well. 

I've spent medically inadvisable amounts of time with Skyrim.  It's been a few years since I last played but god help me I'm gonna have one more go when my usual winter lockdown kicks in.

rare do we do the "what i did today" stuff unless something unique genuine happened, but am current feeling sore and a bit sorry for our self and am too weak to get up and get more watermelon kool aid, so am gonna post instead.  did the skunk hollow portion o' the american river trail on our bike.  is s'posed an "intermediate" trail, but gots significant elevation changes in a couple areas which tends to emasculate us.  am hardly a real bike guy. over the past couple months we have been getting 'bout 75 miles a week... on roads. not flat roads, but nice paved roads even so.

am s'posing the only reason we keep doing skunk hollow is some weird kinda need to prove to self we ain't getting too old and/or lazy to do a trail like skunk hollow... and is still better than running. 

am gonna now collapse (again) on our keyboard.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Only way to get strong on hills is to climb them. Over and over. Today I had one hill to climb, but it was 1000 feet up over less than a mile, and the steepness had me gasping. Going down was worse though, I am a big chicken.

Keyrock, how does your rig handle climbs in the heat? My 10 year old rv is pretty cranky. I basically blast the heater with the windows down while we climb mid-day, and I keep it around 45. It is stressfull every time.

Ok, Amazon Fresh Prime, impress me with your delivery of my common grocery items. Including a few frozen items like frozen vegies and ice cream. If ice cream works, I'll bite. But I still won't buy raw meat online. Sorry.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^ If it saves me physical trips to the store - like maybe I'd only have to do that once a month vs. once a week - I'm all for it. I've been dreaming of such for years but I feel like it's only been recently that such services have enough of what I'd personally buy to make it worthwhile. I'm a little picky - frozen/processed, beverages and non-food items I can see, but not sure if I'd like not being able to pick out the exact apple or bundle of bok choy etc. We shall see. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Keyrock, how does your rig handle climbs in the heat? My 10 year old rv is pretty cranky. I basically blast the heater with the windows down while we climb mid-day, and I keep it around 45. It is stressfull every time.

Funny you should ask. The short answer: depends on how much weight I'm pulling. For the long answer, let me tell you about my day.

I started out the day by doing the last 45 miles to my delivery in Pennsylvania. Easy peasy. I picked up an empty trailer at the drop spot and waited for dispatch.

Fairly quickly I get a new run, pick up a load roughly 50 miles away and bring it to Michigan. The 50 miles was mostly on smaller highways with tons of lights going through little towns. That sucks, but with an empty it's not that bad since I can start in 4th, even on an upslope, and on flat ground I can skip 4th to 6th getting me into high gears quickly.

I arrive at the shipper, drop my empty and pick up a full trailer that the woman in the warehouse said she just finished loading. Great timing on my part. Everything is going great so far.

This load is extremely heavy, only 3 to 4 thousand pounds short of the legal limit. Now I have to start in 1st and no skipping gears unless I'm on a downslope. I set out and everything goes smooth for a bit. I get onto 322 heading west through Pennsylvania, beautiful scenic road. Then I hit the steep long hills. Going down is fine because I have a Jake Brake, which helps slow the truck tremendously going down hills. Uphill, that's another story. There were a couple hills I had to drop to 6th or 7th and crawl up the hill at 25 or 30 mph. It's such a bad feeling watching that needle drop as you go up a hill. Downshift to 9th... Nope still losing power. Downshift to 8th... Nope. Downshift to 7th... Oh thank goodness she's holding steady. And if you miss a shift you better find a gear real quick.

The best part was the end of the day. I was nearing the truck stop I planned to stay the night at. 17 miles away on I-80 traffic comes to a screeching halt. The entire interstate was shut down, I guess a truck caught on fire or something. The detour was through little roads very much not meant for tractor trailers with some brutal climbs. I lost 2 hours, thank goodness I had enough time left that I wasn't in violation, and thank goodness the truck stop had spaces left. Arriving after 8 it's usually really hard to find a spot. Of course I meant to stop at 6:30. :p

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Thanks Keyrock, it's fascinating to hear what the truck drivers go through.

For me and my little RV, it's really about heat management, because my engine is just not able to handle the climbs like it used to. Today I left early enough to get through the Los Angeles commute cleanly, then took 395 northwards along the eastern side of the Sierras. It was 100 degrees out. We hit one really tough climb that went from 5000 feet to 8000 in about 10 miles. I blasted the heater, rolled down the windows, and just held on tight at around 35 mph. We survived though, and thankfully the heat was more like 85 degrees at 8000 feet.

Sadly we hit a ton of smoke where we planned on camping for the night. There is a big fire in Yosemite. We pushed on for another hour and came out of it, and found a nice park to stay in. Still it was a solid 10 hours of driving. Off to Tahoe tomorrow for my triathlon.

I wonder if I'm the first trucker member of Obsidian forums. There have been thousands of members, I can't be the first, can I?

As an aside, I'll give the northern states credit in one area. The northern states have service areas on their interstates, they're like truck stops on steroids. We don't have service areas down south, not that I've seen anyway. Sure, everything at service areas is overpriced, but that's no different than truck stops.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I wonder if I'm the first trucker member of Obsidian forums. There have been thousands of members, I can't be the first, can I?

As an aside, I'll give the northern states credit in one area. The northern states have service areas on their interstates, they're like truck stops on steroids. We don't have service areas down south, not that I've seen anyway. Sure, everything at service areas is overpriced, but that's no different than truck stops.

You might be :)

I'm pretty certain that I have the most hours parking trailers though. :p

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Devs at work doing a hackathon so I am thinking of doing the same project but just on my own, just need to overcome laziness.   Idea is to do "something interesting" with World Cup data.  I am guessing this will be easiest with Python, even though I have some innate dislike of that language

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wanderon is a trucker too. Or at least he used to be. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.