The official Two Worlds thread

Purkake

Where is all this Two Worlds love coming from anyway? Did they remake the game or something?

You know the saying, so bad that is good.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't remember the Two Worlds reviews being outright horrible. It was given pretty average scores, in the 6-7 out of 10 range in most places. It's not a blockbuster, but it is a very playable game with quite a bit of depth.

Although I'm going to murder the next NPC that says forsooth or verily. Actually whoever did the translations just needs to be shot, it was like they hired someone who has never had an actual conversation in English to translate the game.

6-7 out of 10 range in most places.

I'll just point out that in this day and age of inflated review scores, getting a 6-7 out of ten is pretty much epic fail.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'll just point out that in this day and age of inflated review scores, getting a 6-7 out of ten is pretty much epic fail.

If the game in question is European & reviewed by Gamespot/IGN, one might add 2 points to the review score. And subtract 2 points from all so-called AAA titles.

And I actually ordered Two Worlds myself. R00fles!

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

So wait, is this a split thread or did somebody seriously start up a thread asking why a game that is pretty well established as a bad game is liked so much?

Gaming forums are the second most tiring places on the internet (behind Youtube comments sections) precisely because threads dedicated to the discussion of how much things suck are common, open and accepted as part of the culture. Hell, they've got whole forums dedicated to this stuff.

Yay, I got split, so now we have our very own Two Worlds thread and the Picture thread has been liberated.

Could anyone make a short summary on why Two Worlds is good and all the reviews are wrong?

Edited by Purkake

Going by metacritic and other aggregators, the scores seem to be closer to the 4-5 range.

And even that feels high. That game was just awful. It's like they took the worst parts of Oblivion and the Gothic series and merged them into one game. With even worse writing and voice acting.

Edited by Spider

Apparently the latest patch fixed the game, aside from abysmal voice acting & writing (as usual as with translated European games). So I'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt.

It's not like Gothic 3 was playable before the community patch either. Some would even say, Oblivion before the deluge of mods.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Never played the game but nothing I saw on it during the brief few minutes I'd given to looking at it felt very inspiring. For those who like it, what is it about the game that makes you like it?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Two Worlds is awesome. It's the kind of game that Oblivion tries to be, but fails. TW's story is nothing special - gom rescue your sister. But, the complete and utter freedom you get explorinjg is awesome. The combat is fun, the character system is one of the best ever, the item system is pretty ingenious, and while th writing isn't the best, it's a lot more passable than the trash found in the ES series or FO3.

The game is a very solid 7-8.

To comapre, that's in the same realm as games like NWN1/NWN2 OC, KOTOR series, and IWD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As someone who found some enjoyment in Oblivion (before my computer bit the dust) and in FO3 how directly comparable are the games? Are there classes? How much control do you have (if any) in character creation?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

And does it have any sort of eating or feeding upkeep mechanism (hate that in games)?

Also how big and densely populated is the world?

Surprisingly dense and quite large. There are really too many unique NPC's, they are hard to keep track of. It's a solid sandbox game. I'm not quite as gushy about it as Volourn, but I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far. Granted I am late to the party and playing with the benefit of the uber 1.2 gig patch.

As someone who found some enjoyment in Oblivion (before my computer bit the dust) and in FO3 how directly comparable are the games? Are there classes? How much control do you have (if any) in character creation?

The character creation is vastly different in Two Worlds than it is in Oblivion. I like it, there is a lot of detail and different skills you can work up. The alchemy and magic systems are neat.

The world itself shares some similarities with Oblivion, lots of stuff to explore and run across. It's not quite as sharp graphically, but it has a fairly amazing draw distance on my PC. There seem to be more NPC's around than in Bethesda titles, which make sit seem like you really are in a village.

It's not perfect, it has some pretty big flaws. Again, the voice acting and the translation itself is atrocious. But I'm getting past that easily enough because it is fun just exploring.

Two Worlds is awesome. It's the kind of game that Oblivion tries to be, but fails. TW's story is nothing special - gom rescue your sister. But, the complete and utter freedom you get explorinjg is awesome. The combat is fun, the character system is one of the best ever, the item system is pretty ingenious, and while th writing isn't the best, it's a lot more passable than the trash found in the ES series or FO3.

That is pretty gushy. Nobody cares about your esoteric numbering system.

It's only overly gushy if you take it out of context. You DO realize how much I loathe the ES series right? Right?

TW is a solid game. Not great, solid. But, compared to utter trash like ES, it's the bee's knees.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.