Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nerdgasm: Movies and Shows for Geeks and Nerds

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4531 posts

This movie doesn't have a happy ending. Jhon Carpenter looked at the test screening results and just went 'no, I like it better the way I created it'.

It wasn't reedited by 10 different companies all trying to score best with focus groups. It doesn't have any 'fake awesome', you know what I mean, the high notes that are just there to check the boxes. There are no product placement scenes. It doesn't have sensory overload CGI action scenes. 

It is a good movie.

• Raithe and Agiel like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

No.

P.S. That wasn't directed at The Thing b/c that was a good movie. L0L

Edited by Volourn, 21 October 2016 - 01:51 PM.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2401 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

Okay. But when you watch it again, try to pay attention to how much of a difference he actually makes to the plot. :)

To be fair, neither does Indiana Jones.

Barothmuk

Barothmuk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
Too much cape****

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1022 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
There is some new version of The Thing?

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There are no product placement scenes.

Pretty sure that Carpenter's The Thing does have product placement; I seem to recall them showing the beer they're drinking fairly prominently and its a real brand. Possibly some other day-to-day items in the break room / kitchen.  Been awhile since I saw it so my memory could be cheating, but atm I can't find conclusive evidence one way or the other.

It'd have been rare for a relatively big budget film of the time done by a major studio (Universal) to not have some kind of product placement, no matter how minor.

There is some new version of The Thing?

Not since the 2011 prequel film, The Thing.

Edited by Amentep, 25 October 2016 - 09:50 AM.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3037 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There are no product placement scenes.

Pretty sure that Carpenter's The Thing does have product placement; I seem to recall them showing the beer they're drinking fairly prominently and its a real brand. Possibly some other day-to-day items in the break room / kitchen.  Been awhile since I saw it so my memory could be cheating, but atm I can't find conclusive evidence one way or the other.

It'd have been rare for a relatively big budget film of the time done by a major studio (Universal) to not have some kind of product placement, no matter how minor.

Was the computer on which Mr Russell's character is playing chess on at the beginning an IBM? I remember all of the hoopla at the time of release being focused upon ET, which I thought was a far inferior film (well made but far too cheesy and sentimental,) while the Thing was largely ignored.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nah, the computer was an Apple II computer, but it didn't have any apple branding as it was a fictional "Chess Wizard" with voice announcing.

J&B Rare Blend scotch that MacReady pours into it was real, though.

Edited by Amentep, 25 October 2016 - 10:06 AM.

• Nonek likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4531 posts

I'm not sure if that's because the movie is from before people obsessed about showing brands. I mean the Snow cat has Catarpillar written on it, but did they get a check for that. I doubt it. 

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The vehicles used in THE THING were two Bombardier Skidozers, a Catepillar D3 B, Thiokol IMP. a Thiokol Spryte and an LMC Imp.  

There's two likely scenarios for their use -  they were either procured from a company that leases vehicles to films or from the company themselves.  If from the company itself, it was done for consideration that the items would get screen time to show what they do (IIRC the Bombardier's would be the most likely in this case, I think they actually get much of the screen time, but I may be misremembering).

Edited by Amentep, 25 October 2016 - 12:22 PM.

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This year's been pretty slow/lacklustre so far, but I'm really looking forward to some of the upcoming titles. Arrival looks particularly superb, but so do Nocturnal Animals, Loving, Moana, Jackie, La La Land, Manchester by the Sea, Paterson, Certain Women and The Red Turtle. I'm expecting it'll be the best awards season since 2013, most likely.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5380 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The New Wonder Woman Trailer Shows Diana In All Her Mythical Glory.

• ShadySands and ManifestedISO like this

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Looks better than the other Justice League films so far, at least. I'm not expecting a whole lot but it could be enjoyable nevertheless.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

WW looks awesome just like the first trailer. All of the JL films are fanatastic. You must be mistaking them for the ****ty Avenger trash.

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

WW looks awesome just like the first trailer. All of the JL films are fanatastic. You must be mistaking them for the ****ty Avenger trash.

Nah. I'm not as down as some others are on the Justice League films nor am I a fan of the MCU (I think Whedon's first Avengers film is actually worse than the Snyder films), but they are nevertheless problematic at best. Though they are interesting to some degree, and I appreciate that Snyder seems to at least be trying to add his own style and vision into a new superhero saga, the films are frequently messy, sometimes downright incomprehensible, and altogether extremely kitschy. Motivations are frequently all over the shop, and the writing at best feels improvised on the spot. It's a shame because I feel they tend to show more promise and potential than the MCU films usually do, but they fall way short of it.

Edited by algroth, 03 November 2016 - 01:03 PM.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1714 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Little role reversal there in the alleyway, instead of Clark catching the bullet for Lois, Diana deflects for Steve. Love it. 

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Looks pretty interesting, if a tad derivative of some of the recent space films alla Gravity and Interstellar. Still, if it turns to be even half as good as these it'll be worth a watch.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5380 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

• Hurlshot, Raithe, rjshae and 1 other like this

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not sold on the trailer, to be honest. It looks pretty kitschy, and with Luc Besson on the driver's seat? Will likely pass.

• licketysplit likes this

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 624 posts

I am quite fond of <<Valerian et Laureline>> series, and Luc Besson's last crack at an adaptation of a classic bande dessinée, <<Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec>> I actually quite enjoyed. I suspect however, as with many other Luc Besson flicks, the people who are least likely to react well to this announcement are actual francophones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users