Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Volourn confirmed of being ICE-T all along: https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/636924281386074112?lang=en

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This was a pretty interesting article for me to read about the difficulty in covering Gamergate:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2015/08/27/play-it-straight-and-theyre-still-irate-year-hostile-feedback#.VeB3KtNViko

Agreed.

If you look back to the articles that came out early in the controversy, the ones Gamergate was a fan of mentioned both the harassment of Zoe Quinn, and the backlash against crappy video game coverage, because they were both aspects of Gamergate and deserving of reporting. As more and more left out the criticism of Game journalism the more damage it caused, both by radicalising more gamergate supporters by making them feel like they weren't being heard, and creating hostility against a lot of reasonable people by libeling them.

You can look at the damage done by one sided reporting by looking at the Gamergate wikipedia article, where articles on ISIS and the KKK are more neutral.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

UN wants to ban Zwarte Piet, a centuries old tradition.

zwarte-piet1.jpg

Where were this cloSJWns when ISIS were blowing up Palmyra

The tradition of black pete is oppressive against minorities since it is perpetrated by white people and should be abolished, and you better not judge ISIS practicing their cultural vibrancy, you ****lord, but we are all equal. Besides, those ruins were built by europeans aeons ago, who cares. What you see is them only participating in what can be described as deconstructing oppressive structures made from old white men, but we are all equal.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I had never heard of Zwarte Piet, crazy.  Considering blackface has been a pretty big cultural taboo for a couple decades, I am surprised this is just now becoming a debate.

Not sure how this compares to a recognized terrorist organization destroying historical sites.  People can be upset about more than one thing at a time.

edit:  Not every tradition is worth continuing just because it has always been done.  I'm all for preserving history, but you can do that and still recognize when something is ridiculous.  To use Hoonding's sloppy analogy, that would be like having people live in the ruins of Palmyra just because people had been living there for so long.  You can move into a new place and still remember the old one.

Edited by Hurlshot

I had never heard of Zwarte Piet, crazy.  Considering blackface has been a pretty big cultural taboo for a couple decades, I am surprised this is just now becoming a debate.

Not sure how this compares to a recognized terrorist organization destroying historical sites.  People can be upset about more than one thing at a time.

You might have missed it, but GG has been labeled worse than ISIS several times.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"Yeah, there's quite a few ***holes in GG."

Not as many as there are in the anti GG SJW crowd.

"I had never heard of Zwarte Piet, crazy.  Considering blackface has been a pretty big cultural taboo for a couple decades, I am surprised this is just now becoming a debate."

It's known in Europe. And, 'blackface' is frowned on in NA. Europe is tied for most racist place on the planet - only matched by the ME and  the Asian countries.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Good god, why do you guys care about Black Pete? I don't even care and I grew up with it.

As for it being "racist", it's vaguely rooted in a stereotype of moors but for about a century the explanation for their color has been that they are covered in soot because they are the ones who go down the chimneys to deliver presents to the children (santa claus traditions actually stole that from sinterklaas, just like it stole just about everything else). The debate is about nine decades too late to be relevant.

See, the thing is, we racist Euro-peons have no cultural taboo pertaining to blackface. That's either because we're all racist dickwads or because we do not share the United States' particular history with blacks and blackface for that matter, which was never used here in the way that it was in the US.

We have other taboos that the US doesn't share regarding e.g. Nazi symbolism. It's not a valid comparison (blackface & nazis, I mean) but it is the same concept. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, all you really need to know about how to handle blackface can be learned from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

0f.jpg

I prefer the Scrubs approach of "it's okay... provided you've got a black guy in whiteface with you".

frat-party-flashback.jpg

You two have awful taste in television.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

More like "the wonderful judgement of young people who lack the context to understand most of the humor same sense of humor and/or taste in entertainment as you". Though I definitely do not like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Scrubs, I'm sure I dislike just about everything else Kaine or anyone else would use a "counter"-example. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

TV shows are the tools of oppression.

//edit, somewhat related to topic.

Why the right to offend is important:

...and why it isn't? i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkEVDnV0-LE

//edit 2: I highly recommend the last video, just to see Peter Hitchens', which is an awesome guy btw, facial expressions. Simply priceless.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Ah the wonderful judgement of young people who lack the context to understand most of the humor.   :thumbsup:

It's not my fault I'm not 40. Blame my folks for not getting started earlier.

The only people who don't like Scrubs are people who only watched a couple of episodes and thought they could just pick it up like a sitcom. It isn't just one of the greatest comedy shows ever, it's one of the greatest shows period.

I watched 20+ episodes and only sat through it because of a girl.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

More like "the wonderful judgement of young people who lack the context to understand most of the humor same sense of humor and/or taste in entertainment as you". Though I definitely do not like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Scrubs, I'm sure I dislike just about everything else Kaine or anyone else would use a "counter"-example. :p

The **** you are! You will like Curb Your Enthusiasm or I will make you listen to all 31 studio albums of The Fall.

I have not watched Curb Your Enthusiasm yet, but I am a huge fan of Seinfeld, so maybe I should get on trying it someday. Someday...:shifty:

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLOAFgXcJkZ2zeWTGHpR56tAphiqmTZxjK&v=nkEVDnV0-LE

I... er.

Hmm.

Skip to about 2:30 to see getting triggered from clapping in action.

efWSrXJ.png

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I don't like It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, I do like Seinfeld, and the character of Dr. Cox alone in Scrubs encapsulates everything that was great about Seinfeld and improves on it. I don't see how you can like Seinfeld and not like Scrubs.

I hated Seinfeld when I was a kid though. I think you have to hate people before you can like Seinfeld, because it's escapist fantasy about being a horrible person. I certainly would never want to spend any length of time with the people who created it.

Makes me wonder how long a show like Seinfeld would survive today. Probably one episode and then it would be deemed problematic and cancelled.

• Hmmm 1