PoE Guidebook by DarkHorse

From DarkHorse's upcoming releases

Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Volume One HC

Obsidian Entertainment (W)

On sale Mar 11

FC, 120 pages

$19.99

HC, 8 1/2" x 11"

Packed with never-before-seen art and in-depth lore, this is the definitive exploration of the acclaimed new video game from Obsidian Entertainment!

Having broken records with its hugely successful Kickstarter campaign, Pillars of Eternity mixes modern technology with the beloved traditions of role-playing games, introducing a breathtaking new fantasy world. Every monster, every faction, every deity, and everything in between is covered within the pages of this tome, all accompanied by luscious illustrations.

• Pillars of Eternity raised over 4 million dollars through crowdsourcing!

• Tons of art and lore from the acclaimed game!

• The godfathers of the RPG create their masterpiece!

PillarsofEarthGuidebookV1-23b10.jpg

Edited by C2B
  • Like 2

Wait, they're gonna sell this?

I thought it would be an exclusive backer item? :blink:

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I too want both of them ! I can't wait to read as much of this new fantasy world as possible :D

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Wondering what the tangible differences are in terms of content between this and the goods from the Collecter's edition.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 4 weeks later...

Wondering what the tangible differences are in terms of content between this and the goods from the Collecter's edition.

I'm curious too. The KS special book is only called "Project Eternity Collector's Book" with the description--"The book will be a full color book that includes concept art, player's handbook, monster manual, exclusive information about the campaign setting and characters, and a special behind the scenes look at making the game." So there should be a difference.

I have to say that when KS-items in a different project I had backed became available at the same time as separate purchases on a storefront, I was extremely peeved. After that, I didn't back beyond the most basic tier for that group, because what's the point otherwise...

By the way the Pillars Guidebook is available for preorder from Amazon, with an estimated date of March 24, 2015.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Hmm, I wonder if these dates are telling us something about the release date.

Amazon release date forecasts are notoriously inaccurate.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yes, the dates change all the time. I'm not concerned about that, but if Obsidian turns out to be selling the actual "collector's" book outside the Kickstarter CE editions, I will be quite peeved.

People up their pledges and go for collector's boxes for a reason: exclusives.

• Like 1

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The fact that it's so small (like 11 x 8 inches) is not encouraging.

I upped my pledge to get the Collector's Book Hardcover specifically, and if it isn't some nice big art book like what other games usually have I am going to be son I am dissapoint.

• Like 1

In my experience, they finish these books prior to release by a few weeks. Also of note, usually they're working with an older build of the game when they're doing the walk throughs or giving hints. So the final game may change from what was printed. I wish they would've gone through Future Press though, they put out the very best books I've ever seen. The quality is fantastic. I still think the Amalur Reckoning one was easily the best purchase I've made, it was a 600 page hardcover tome and was less than $30. I would have gladly paid $20 more for it. I wish they would have had time to include the extra stuff they released afterwards in pdf in the book, but it was brilliant.

From DarkHorse's upcoming releases

Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Volume One HC

Obsidian Entertainment (W)

On sale Mar 11

FC, 120 pages

$19.99

HC, 8 1/2" x 11"

Packed with never-before-seen art and in-depth lore, this is the definitive exploration of the acclaimed new video game from Obsidian Entertainment!

Having broken records with its hugely successful Kickstarter campaign, Pillars of Eternity mixes modern technology with the beloved traditions of role-playing games, introducing a breathtaking new fantasy world. Every monster, every faction, every deity, and everything in between is covered within the pages of this tome, all accompanied by luscious illustrations.

• Pillars of Eternity raised over 4 million dollars through crowdsourcing!

• Tons of art and lore from the acclaimed game!

• The godfathers of the RPG create their masterpiece!

I'll come right out and say whoever wrote this terrible copy should find a new job. This is the equivalent of an unedited self-published novel on Amazon.

I upped my pledge to get the Collector's Book Hardcover specifically, and if it isn't some nice big art book like what other games usually have I am going to be son I am dissapoint.

Actually, the fact that it's small gives me hope the Collector's book is a separate thing. :p Need some clarification, though.

I'm honestly surprised Dark Horse is publishing anything besides comics based on Whedon shows or Hellboy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Actually, the fact that it's small gives me hope the Collector's book is a separate thing. :p Need some clarification, though.

Totally agree with the both of you. It be great to get an "official statement" on on that situation. So I been doing a little digging and did come up with something from the KS site that been in some FAQ there:

What is the difference between the Strategy Guide, the Collector's Book, and the Campaign Almanac?

Strategy Guide = Tips and Tricks on how to play the game.

Collector's Book = Art, Concepts, Making Of/Behind the Scenes, Monster Info, additional lore, and info on companions/characters

Almanac = All about the World - the History and Lore of the world of Project Eternity

Last updated: Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:51 AM CET

So for me it more sounds more like the physical version of the Almanac than the Collectors Book, plus the cover looks like the pic they put in for the digital almanac on their KS site. But than of course that is just a wild guess of mine. I surely hope it is not the slightly less quality version of the Collectors Book cause I am also one of those that has been upgrading their pledge mostly for that sweet Hardcover Collectors Book (albeit I admit that the signed copy of the CE also was a big plus).

Edited by Spike Spiegel 28

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

Well. ermm.gif

I received official word that the Dark Horse book available for preorder on Amazon is indeed the same as the backer Collector's Edition book. BAdler gave economic reasons for doing this, because working with a bigger print company like Dark Horse incurs greater cost/risk, and Obs thinks that releasing to the public will ensure better quality per cost. I get that...

Still, I'm very disappointed. Feels like bait and switch given the understood lingo for limited "collector's editions." That means the only things that separate the $250 tier from the previous $140 physical tier are a signed box (as opposed to unsigned) and an upgraded cloth patch.

Well. ermm.gif

I received official word that the Dark Horse book available for preorder on Amazon is indeed the same as the backer Collector's Edition book. BAdler gave economic reasons for doing this, because working with a bigger print company like Dark Horse incurs greater cost/risk, and Obs thinks that releasing to the public will ensure better quality per cost. I get that...

Still, I'm very disappointed. Feels like bait and switch given the understood lingo for limited "collector's editions." That means the only things that separate the $250 tier from the previous $140 physical tier are a signed box (as opposed to unsigned) and an upgraded cloth patch.

If it actually is like that I am for the first time ever officially disappointed. So the cover art says something about Volume one. And unless something has not changed in  a big way than from all I can remember the book from the CE is olny one book and not split up into volumes. So I guess there will be at least some sort of difference and if it is just in the qualtity and size of the Collectors Book. At least that is what I dearly hope cause I been upgrading my pledge mainly for that book (even so the signed copy was a nice added bonus of course but it was mainly for the Collectors Book).

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

Well. ermm.gif

If it actually is like that I am for the first time ever officially disappointed. So the cover art says something about Volume one. And unless something has not changed in  a big way than from all I can remember the book from the CE is olny one book and not split up into volumes. So I guess there will be at least some sort of difference and if it is just in the qualtity and size of the Collectors Book. At least that is what I dearly hope cause I been upgrading my pledge mainly for that book (even so the signed copy was a nice added bonus of course but it was mainly for the Collectors Book).

I agree; I upgraded essentially for the book. Going for the $140 tier and adding the $20 book would have been far cheaper, then. Given what I was told, I suspect the "volume" thing may have to do with adding books for expansions, but that's a guess.