Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 3

Battlefield Earth

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
570 replies to this topic

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So far I've reached the point where I've done the whole Quarrian/Geth thing.. So guessing there's still a chunk more to do.

Pretty much fun overall with a few annoyances. Sure, Bio seem to be going for some of the cheap emotional buttons but they're mostly well crafted cheap emotional buttons, and the music hits the right spot for them.

Lost a few old companions, but others have survived..and I'm not sure exactly which decisions led to that. Although with how the ME2 squad members are integrated into the storyline, and seem to have some cinematic moments that save/help Shepard, I'm curious as to how those situations would play out if they died in the previous game...

The Codex is annoying. I'm fine with the lack of hand-holding and pointing me in specific directions, but I'd love it if they'd actually freaking update to let me know if I've found items or done parts of the quest... Also, would be nice if they split them up so you could see one list of Priority, one list of Secondary (as they've done b efore) rather then one mass list that really doesn't organise.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1803 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Question : can you still gather war assets after you have been detected. I have tried speeding back in and pinging for a second or two but I never seem to get a hit out of it.

Yes. That's how I do it: Fly in circle, ping the **** out of the map until reapers are too close, then I exit. Now I jump in and scan again, run away, jump in again, run away, etc. Most sectors only have 2 secrets, a few have 3, so especially in the bigger ones, it can be a bit annoying to find the remaining fuel depot wreckage (in pretty much all cases it is 1 planet and 1 fuel depot wreckage. Always scan planets first, then try to find the fuel depot. I found this to be the most effective way).

Edited by Lexx, 11 March 2012 - 03:30 AM.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I never was detected by the Reapers. You guys ping too much lol

Either way, you should have at least 5000 War Assets before the final mission. I ignored some of the Milky Way sidequests, but did everything else. Also got good diplomatic options whenever it arised, so I didn't have to sacrifice one race for another, but could get both in. No suicides or anything.

Edited by Morgoth, 11 March 2012 - 03:32 AM.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3843 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

No suicides or anything.

Thats impossible.

Or how did you handle Wrex/Mordin?

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

No suicides or anything.

Thats impossible.

Or how did you handle Wrex/Mordin?

Mordin sacrificed himself, he didn't suicide. :yes:

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4361 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sure guys, don't use spoiler tags. :p

Nepreview:

Positives:
- The core gameplay has been greatly improved (imo, again), with the new rolls etc. changing the combat into a lot more kinetic experience from the ME2 whack a mole. Also feels more genuinely 3d than before - hadn't noticed it before, but the new movement options have allowed them to make better levels.
-The rhythm is more varied, ME2 consisted of those identically sized chunks. While I like that too (makes it easy to play when you know how much time it's going to take), this one keeps you guessing a bit more. In fact, I'd say that the best part of this game over other recent Bioware games is that it pushed me a bit out of my comfort zone. I didn't have the feeling that I'm on control of the train riding the Bioware rails. Good job on that.
- there's a lot more talky, mellower bits of the game. As I think I said earlier, it (along with the above removal of the comfort zone of post BG2 Bio games) really called back to the best moments of Bg1 and 2 for me. I wish I could get this kind of enjoyment from open world games. :p
-Up until the very ending, the story (and writing) do a really good job of tying together the previous two games, with more than enough consequences and homages. Too bad it comes unglued.

Negatives:
-the endings, especially them being handled in the deus ex button of doom style
-thew new combined journal/codex is mind-bogglingly bad.
-not getting the Locust until very late. :p
-no Mako! :p

Summary:
Goes from Game of the Decade to merely "very good" at the final moments. Bioware need more competition to keep them sharp, hopefully Obsidian and Eidos Montreal have good projects to come, and somebody else will break into the market as well. Going to be interesting to see how Witcher 2 does on the microsoft console.

Edited by Nepenthe, 11 March 2012 - 05:47 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts
Game of the decade, really ?

The gun action was excellent, especially if not ruined by singularities. The plot started out good, got better, and then kinda petered off into medium towards the end. I was still positively surprised. It's a good game, overall maybe an outside chance of being in the top ten.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

I never was detected by the Reapers. You guys ping too much lol

Either way, you should have at least 5000 War Assets before the final mission. I ignored some of the Milky Way sidequests, but did everything else. Also got good diplomatic options whenever it arised, so I didn't have to sacrifice one race for another, but could get both in. No suicides or anything.

How the heck did you do that without MP? I did every friggen quest including the DLC and still didn't get close to 5000, and with mostly what I thought were the best choice (such as Geth/Quarian combo...etc).

Actually, I had more than 7000 in War Assets, but because in SP it reduces it by 50% so that you get Effective at half of that...my effective was only half of my War Assets...which is what stinks in the way they handled MP vs. SP.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

Game of the decade, really ?

The gun action was excellent, especially if not ruined by singularities. The plot started out good, got better, and then kinda petered off into medium towards the end. I was still positively surprised. It's a good game, overall maybe an outside chance of being in the top ten.

If it weren't for the gosh darn awful bad journal...and the terrible endings....and that ME2 would have been last decade as well as most other great games such as the original ME...I'd put it for game of the decade (thus far). AS it is, with that terrible journal and the way the endings go...it is merely really good.

PS: Anyone who finished...do you get that KotOR 2 jive from the ending...as in a similar feel of great game...but you might prefer that it had a ending or different type of ending?

Edited by greylord, 11 March 2012 - 06:56 AM.

• Nepenthe likes this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2293 posts
I wouldn't imagine it too hard to make a provisional Game of the Decade when the decade is a mere 14-and-a-bit months old. I haven't made the plunge yet since I've had some non-gaming distractions keeping me busy but no doubt it'll return soon. Most likely it'll come down to whether I can wait a month or so for the Witcher 2 EE with sundry other things and tackle this later.

Normally this would be "waiting for the rough edges to be polished out" time, but as it sounds relatively glitch-free already (aside from some logic errors along the lines of supposedly dead people reappearing in later cutscenes) it's more a question of how much DLC bastardry they'll be planning between now and then. I'm not a huge bigger-picture-world-oriented gamer but I do need it to provide a coherent reason to pursue the main questline - hence while endings are relatively irrelevant, there needs to be reasonable in-character motivation (the reason I found DA:O unfinishable).

Anyway, before I get lost in a sea of rambling on - is there any scope at all for modding in this instalment or is it all pretty much locked down like its predecessors?
  • Nepenthe likes this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9696 posts
Thread getting a bit long...

Continued here :closed:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users