Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

Well I ain't seen no Dumbo live action movie, but I sure done seen about everything when I see an elephant fly....you think they will be in the film?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Thor Raganrok.

Terrible movie by any standard. But ... I'm sorry, couldn't help it, I laughed out loud quite often so at least I was entertained. At least it didn't take itself seriously. Plus it always helps to not care about any "lore"/have zero expectations anyway.

I didn't like the 2nd Thor but the 1st and this 3rd one (I think it's the 3rd one?) - what I liked is Thor himself, Loki (the mostest!), and the humor level.

Although this one did reinforce that I really don't like Mark Rooflufalus as Banner. CGI Hulk is CGI Hulk, who cares, but...the actor has been fine in other roles, it's not that I dislike the actor, but as Banner ... yeah, not fond.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

apperently there is going to be Doom movie and wait for it.... it will not be with Doomguy but Doomchick :facepalm:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Doesn't seem like much of a problem. No character to begin with, no? Realism certainly won't be an issue considering the source material :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah and next Tomb Rider can star homosexual black midget named Lara :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Well, if it is Lara or Max it is different than silent faceless Doom or Quake guy.

They need to make a Diablo film, though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

so  Gender is just spectrum right? Agree on that Diablo movie tho i would just be scared it will end up like WoW movie...

The first Doom movie was pretty terrible despite having the manliest of actors in The Rock, so I fail to see how mixing it up is some great travesty. Odds are high the movie will be bad whether the lead is male or female, so what is the concern?

Also Lara Croft is just a female Indiana Jones. *mind blown*

Edited by Hurlshot

so  Gender is just spectrum right? Agree on that Diablo movie tho i would just be scared it will end up like WoW movie...

No idea, never took social sciences.  But when it comes to Doom, just that the change is really meaningless, all you need is hands for the guns and a voice to grunt with :p  Wonder who'd think a movie about a guy solo'ing the legions of hell would be interesting for a movie, though

The first Doom movie was pretty terrible despite having the manliest of actors in The Rock, so I fail to see how mixing it up is some great travesty. Odds are high the movie will be bad whether the lead is male or female, so what is the concern?

Also Lara Croft is just a female Indiana Jones. *mind blown*

So you would be ok with gay midged playing Lara right? :)

I agree on old Doom, it was crap, probably because there was no Doom Guy!

No idea, never took social sciences.  But when it comes to Doom, just that the change is really meaningless, all you need is hands for the guns and a voice to grunt with :p  Wonder who'd think a movie about a guy solo'ing the legions of hell would be interesting for a movie, though

Gender is not social, its biology baby! :)

So only characteristic of doom guy - tough guy is not important? You want to strip him of his pretty much only characteristic? not cool man, not cool. Its like saying that deamons just try to kill him, we can swap them for evil puppies, because who cares right? :)

Edited by Chilloutman

Well, how about we just use the catch all phrase "spiritual successor", its absolutely meaningless and we can handwave anything as "artist interpretation". :lol:

man I actually don't care that much, but those mental gymnastics to justify some stuff makes me giggle

white man doing 'black face' and pitchforks are on the move

black man playing Zeus - muh, diversity...

Why would the biology matter? He isn't shooting people with his ****. 

Also the homosexual black midget suggestion for Lara Croft is weird on a lot of levels. First off, the gay or straight seems completely irrelevant. Lara Croft could very well be gay, it isn't a romance series and I have no idea why that would matter. The race is another one that seems unimportant. I'd argue that it was worse to put Angelie Jolie in with a terrible British accent than anything to do with skin color. Hollywood has been changing the races of actors forever, so this isn't something new.

Lara Croft as a male would probably be named something else, like Lance Croft, or Nathan Drake. Oh wait...

Then you get the midget comment, which is probably the only movie I would pay to see. I think they are called dwarves though, and I am sure Volo would be right next to me in line to see it.

Why would the biology matter? He isn't shooting people with his ****. 

Also the homosexual black midget suggestion for Lara Croft is weird on a lot of levels. First off, the gay or straight seems completely irrelevant. Lara Croft could very well be gay, it isn't a romance series and I have no idea why that would matter. The race is another one that seems unimportant. I'd argue that it was worse to put Angelie Jolie in with a terrible British accent than anything to do with skin color. Hollywood has been changing the races of actors forever, so this isn't something new.

Lara Croft as a male would probably be named something else, like Lance Croft, or Nathan Drake. Oh wait...

Then you get the midget comment, which is probably the only movie I would pay to see. I think they are called dwarves though, and I am sure Volo would be right next to me in line to see it.

You just proved my point, if Lara would be male you can call that movie Uncharted because its her femine identity which makes her different from Indiana Jones. But enough of this off topic

You just proved my point, if Lara would be male you can call that movie Uncharted because its her femine identity which makes her different from Indiana Jones. But enough of this off topic

It's not off-topic, we are talking about movies.

As Malc already pointed out, the Doom guy doesn't really have an identity. So are you just arguing that they are calling it Doom instead of Dame? That seems pretty petty.

Also there is already a female He-Man called She-Ra.  :shrugz:

Saw You Were Never Really Here. Don't know, expected something different from the trailer. Still a nice watch and it's really nice to see a movie being only 90 minutes for a change.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Gender is not social, its biology baby! :)

So only characteristic of doom guy - tough guy is not important? You want to strip him of his pretty much only characteristic? not cool man, not cool. Its like saying that deamons just try to kill him, we can swap them for evil puppies, because who cares right? :)

Could be, usually have heard people talk about it from a social science POV, granted is the usual Internet nattering. Given the source material, who cares is probably fitting, Doom doesn't exactly have much to disrespect w.r.t it's plot and setting (Carmack's famous quote applies).

Well, how about we just use the catch all phrase "spiritual successor", its absolutely meaningless and we can handwave anything as "artist interpretation". :lol:

Works for games, why not movies :lol:

Wait a darn minute, are you trying to tell me that in 1985 they were able to figure out how to be inclusive without destroying and rewriting the established canon?! I. am. shocked. 

Nah, I'm sure He-Man fanboys whined about appropriation back then as well, they just didn't have the internet to amplify their outrage. :p

Also lol at the idea of Doom cannon. Have you read Masters of Doom? Story wasn't exactly a sacred cow at id.

Hopefully the Doom movie uses proper metal, not whatever that crap they used in 2016 game was. ;)

• Like 1

Works for games, why not movies :lol:

Exactly! The phrase is perfect in its ambiguity and ability to be twisted into whatever meaning the current discussion dictates.

Nah, I'm sure He-Man fanboys whined about appropriation back then as well, they just didn't have the internet to amplify their outrage. :p

Also lol at the idea of Doom cannon. Have you read Masters of Doom? Story wasn't exactly a sacred cow at id.

I don't want you to get into a mental blockade over He-Man. Go with Thor, or Spider Man or whatever. In these cases the original is destroyed in favor of the new flavor. Why is this the solution instead of just making a new character?