Amentep

Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part IV

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Phenomenum said:

Absence of good writing and good main quest is a "death knell".

and what makes you think the additional time gained from absence o' full vo woulda' altered the main quest in any significant way? am having no doubt considerable polishing and revision o' companions and secondary characters and quests were given short shrift, but josh concedes he weren't aware o' a few foundational narrative problems until after the game were released. more time would not fix unknown problems.

am thinking the folks most at fault for story issues o' deadfire were josh and the writers. anybody who follows these boards for a long time knows Gromnir is unlikely to hesitate from throwing feargus under the bus, and he deserves a measure o' blame, but the foundational and fundamental story questions shoulda' been addressed long before the vo issue became an issue.  you got a bunch o' competent crpg writers at obsidian, so am baffled by a few o' the basic deadfire narrative problems. burned book of law were added post release 'cause obvious questions any reader might have were never addressed in the base game.

Spoiler

the wheel is artificial and eothas means to destroy it, which means reincarnation cycle goes back to way it were before engwithan tampering, no? no. wait, what?

lack o' player agency in critical path narrative as well as josh recognition o' pacing obstacles as well as focus on core themes such as colonialism? etc.

not 11th hour fixes. also stuff the writers at obsidian shoulda' recognized early.  is hard to imagine none o' the obsidian writers had concerns 'bout the deadfire narrative. am not suggesting deadfire were a complete fail, btw. there were much to like 'bout deadfire story, even so, more than a few narrative problems is baffling when looked at retrospect. 

given how much money were thrown around for vo and ship combat, am thinking obsidian woulda' benefited much more from a dedicated editor for narrative content. not every writer can hope to be james joyce. most writers, good writers, need editors. is possible that 'cause a game is a collaborative writing effort, the writers on the team may critique their office or cubicle-mate's work product believing they is capable o' such a task. dunno. am genuine not knowing what obsidian does insofar as narrative editing is concerned. as an outside observer we nevertheless conclude obsidian needs a better editorial scheme.

woulda' liked to see more developed characters and dialogs benefiting from additional reflection. regardless, am thinking more time were not gonna be a fix for many deadfire narrative problems... suits and their ill-considered vo decision notwithstanding. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps we brought up james joyce not 'cause o' his competence as a writer, but 'cause he spent near a decade trying to get dubliners published sans any editorial changes. 

Edited by Gromnir
clarification

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

for those still wondering why josh no longer contributes on the boards

am recalling how josh discovered deadfire might attribute were not working as intended only immediate before release in spite o' fact the quirky implementation o' might were a frequent topic o' discussion on these boards.

have personal criticized developer overreliance on board feedback given fact we never provide meaningful consensus on any debated issue. have observed how even if we managed consensus it would be opinion o' only the most hardcore soopernerds as 'posed to the average game purchaser. have sympathized with developer board frustrations. nevertheless, we do see value in the boards. is too bad josh, as part o' his post mortem, did not recognize how his overreliance on a new toy (game telemetry) perhaps contributed to a few o' the game problems.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^ I feel like that's a particularly bad example 'cause you have two warring tribes in that forum, Divinity Original Sin fans and Baldur's Gate fans.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the_dog_days said:

^ I feel like that's a particularly bad example 'cause you have two warring tribes in that forum, Divinity Original Sin fans and Baldur's Gate fans.

if you do not recollect poe development, am gonna remind you o' the old bg & ie game purists who clashed with folks more familiar with obsidians recent games. am thinking josh commented in his post mortem 'bout his recollection o' fan wanting bg2 d&d sorcerers in the poe games, yes?

fo:nv development had the fo1& fo2 fans wanting to draw blood o' fo3 fans.

etc.

is hardly unique. might be the norm. old skool v new. hard core v. casual. cake v. pie. whatever. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

12 hours ago, Gromnir said:

is hardly unique. might be the norm. old skool v new. hard core v. casual. cake v. pie. whatever. 

Waffle Vs pancake. 

Which always puzzled me. Waffle is clearly superior. 

h1dczBG.jpg

Guest ----

Kind of sad he didn’t mentioned the "lighter" tone, since I’ve seen them being mentioned quite a lot and was the biggest let down for me. In PoE this scenes where great and even brighter because of the contrast with the general tone of the game, in Deadfire there is a too much silly humour for me.

Great talk anyway

I can't quite see where Deadfire has more silly humor than PoE. It's lighter overall, that's true. But for example it doesn't reach the sillyness of a Hiravias or Zahua. Which I liked - just saying.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Guest ----
Posted (edited)

Probably i just don’t know english😅.  Zahua is actually my favourite companion. In the humour i was thinking on those parts where the game doesn’t take itself serious(yes, for short moments); or that Marvel humour if that means anything, present mainly in companions and dialogues options

Edited by ----

2 hours ago, Enoch said:

our first year at Cal we got to know the third string qb. guy were like a 6'4" jeff spicoli. wore vans and skateboarded everywhere, which were kinda a trick in berkeley considering how hilly it is. nickname were "rope." the thing is, he gave himself the nickname. convinced everybody it were his high school nickname, and who were gonna second guess him eh? the nickname stuck and he were known as rope for as long as we knew him at university.

eventual, 3rd-string qb admitted to Gromnir and a couple other guys on the team that he stated the nickname thing as kinda a joke. figured if he got folks to call him rope, girls would overhear and think it were 'cause he were well-endowed.

recall we is taking 'bout a college freshman who reminded us o' this guy.

not the best qb, but a talented drummer. go figure.

anywho, is the only other rope we ever knew.

HA! Good Fun!