On 2/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, Lord_Mord said:

I don't think that's true. If that game would not conclude the watchers story, I wouldnt buy it and if someone else would make that game, I wouldn't buy it either.

I wouldn't go that far, but it is Josh's particular sensibilities and interests which made PoE what it is. I would be interested in seeing what PoE under his full control would look like, and I would be interested in seeing what a new lead would do with the game - I did enjoy all three DLCs after all.

What I am not terribly interested in, is a non-isometric PoE. The world doesn't have that much appeal to me, to automatically transfer my interest in PoE3 into another genre - it would need to sell me on the concept mostly from the ground up... that being said, being made by Obsidian is, for now, still a good start. 

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1326718682412720129

An interesting bit of discussion on die rolls, BG3, and PoE.

I am 100% in agreement with Sawyer. His point is exactly why I have, in recent years, soured on D&D mechanics and don't care for D&D that much anymore. I am so glad he opted against using the D&D SRD for PoE, especially because the resulting original PoE mechanics are far superior to D&D mechanics imo.

Edited by kanisatha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, kanisatha said:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1326718682412720129

An interesting bit of discussion on die rolls, BG3, and PoE.

I am 100% in agreement with Sawyer. His point is exactly why I have, in recent years, soured on D&D mechanics and don't care for D&D that much anymore. I am so glad he opted against using the D&D SRD for PoE, especially because the resulting original PoE mechanics are far superior to D&D mechanics imo.

yeah, this has been an eternal problem with d&d-style games. relatedly, it always feels like levels 5-12ish (almost universally regardless of system) "feels" the best, and it's probably because you hit the point where you aren't so low level that you're just overwhelmed by RNG and d20 [and you're not so high level that balance starts getting thrown out the window].

i haven't paid too much attention to d&d post-4th edition, but it always struck me as nonsensical that all the versions leading up to it, most level 1 characters have just enough health to basically be wiped out by one unlucky combat round. like WTF. especially poor wizards with a d4 hit die, not even a particularly unlucky combat round, just the median expected value from a crossbow bolt (a d8). hope the enemy's d20 rolls go your way!

notably, i picked up some pathfinder 2e materials and have generally liked it much more than pathfinder 1e and what i've skimmed of d&d 5e, but i did not know until this twitter thread that take 10 is a separate feat in that system. yikes. 

poe/deadfire still is subject to the rng a bit, but uncontested skill checks is a great design choice, and honestly even if it is mostly psychological dressing for a much more generous check, "grazes" are a real nice way to smooth out some of the RNGness while still having randomness in the first place.

Edited by thelee

With the popular* German TTRPG "The Dark Eye" you have attributes like Strength etc. and once you do a roll (skill check for example) there are always three attributes involved (sometimes one is double like STR/STR/CON). You then roll three D20 (color coded for each attribute is best so you can roll all at once) and then use your skill points minus difficulty to keep the dice roll <= attribute so the whole roll is a success. I found that to be a rather nice system - albeit a tad complicated at first.

*) Popular in Germany

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods