Random questions to black people

Lord_Mord

Some questions that came to my mind while reading a thread about class and race choices in PoE. There was that black guy who said, that he always plays black guys. As my current character in that game is ocean folk (which are black, in case you didn't play that game) I wondered why he never plays white guys. So instead of asking him, I thought I could ask everybody.

What kinds of characters do you play? What backstories do they have?

Do you ever play white people and if yes, what kinds of characters? If not why?

What do you think of the kind of representation of black people in video games or fantasy? In my opinion ocean folk are pretty badass, but basically they are just black Italians.

What would a black country in your fantasy setting be like?

If you are from some other underrepresented country, skin color or whatever I would be interested in an answer too.

Sorry if my childish curiosity should offend anyone. I mean no harm.

• Like 5

---

We're all doomed

I got friend who plays female only if possible because and I quote ''I am not gonna look for hours on guys butt''

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I always play a character that is appropriate to the setting and faithful to the rules of the represented world.

I always despised RPG players that wanted to play "unique" or "unorthodox" characters in the way of: "male member of female only order or "different race of a single race cast".

Ah yes, how dare someone fantasize inappropriately in fantasy roleplaying games.  :getlost:

• Like 2

I always play a character that is appropriate to the setting and faithful to the rules of the represented world.

I always despised RPG players that wanted to play "unique" or "unorthodox" characters in the way of: "male member of female only order or "different race of a single race cast".

Does that mean you don't like Pallegina? ;) Though she's the opposite of the points you give, and godlikes are supposed to be really rare.

what is it 'bout asking for input from blacks or women or minorities which inspires so many white guys to respond with their perspective on the topic?  is not a bad thing to respond, but seeming need for input is still kinda weird.

"could any astronauts share their thoughts on what it is like to... "

have plumbers and cpa respond to such ain't bad, but is nevertheless weird.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

White guys need a voice in this world Grommie. This is one of the few places we can be heard. Since I'm posting, I might as well give my input...:p

Personally I prefer when games give as much choice as possible on character creation. I tend to play a character I can identify with, and it rubs me wrong when I'm forced to play someone I don't like. It isn't like watching a movie, I'm actually controlling that person. For example I can't stand Geralt. I'd probably love playing in The Witcher universe, but I can't get into playing that pale SOB. I think it is actually easier for a developer to give more choice, because you are going to appeal to a broader group.

If you are developing a game with a very specific narrator, it is a bigger challenge because you need to make the character appealing in a very general sense.

So instead of asking him, I thought I could ask everybody.

:lol:

again with the wacky reading skills.

"Random questions to black people"

weird.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How do you know who is black or white on internet brotha?  :devil:

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

weird.

HA! Good Fun!

Hm, nah, he does want to ask people in general, he just chose a stupid topic for it.  You are right though, in a way, had the thread been meant to be on point with the title, you'd still end up with non-black people chiming in :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

weird.

HA! Good Fun!

Hm, nah, he does want to ask people in general, he just chose a stupid topic for it.  You are right though, in a way, had the thread been meant to be on point with the title, you'd still end up with non-black people chiming in :lol:

serious, what is with the reading skillz?

if he wanted everybody input, then the following would make no sense and be utter unnecessary:

"If you are from some other underrepresented country, skin color or whatever I would be interested in an answer too."

asking "everybody" to get black input? sure.  read again the questions asked.  simple inclusion o' "everybody" didn't change what a normal person would/should read. "Random questions to black people." 'stead of reading "everybody" in context o' the post's entirety, some folks is doing the reverse and trying to complete change the meaning o' the post to fit how they is reading a single word.  is complete bass ackwards. read 4-corners as a whole to find meaning is essential to any kinda reading comprehension. 

*shrug*

gonna ruin the genesis poster's thread with such nonsense, and as such am apologizing, but really folks.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

I'm gone for a few hours and you guys start a fight :)

My question was mainly directed towards black people and other underrepresented people. I wanted to know, if such a background influences your roleplaying and how. And I wanted to know how black people would like to see black people inside fantasy worlds. I have nothing against white guys posting, but please don't let this thread become a flame war about racism or something. And it would be nice, if some actual black people would answer. I really just wanna know, how people feel about it.

What's funny is, that I still don't know, who of the posters is black and who is white. My first reaction was "What? Gifted is black?" (I always imagined him as a white metal guy or something like that). Now I'm not shure anymore. The internet is a funny place.

---

We're all doomed

Are blacks truly 'underreprsented'?   Unde rminority groups are. I wonder how latinos, asians, and others feel knowing that when people talk about 'diveristy' or 'minoritiers' it is 99.9% about blacks. Blacks  actually get a good number of representation. People forget that blacks at eonl;y about 13% of the US population and they aren't even the largest minority in the US. How many latinos, asians, or arabs have won a Best Actor or Actress Oscar over the years?

As for the questions, first off, it is racist to start a thread banning all but one race from answering. Second, as for myself, since dwarves at emy favored race  I clearly don't need my characters to be me. Afterall, I'm a 6' dude who is comfortable playing 4' dudes. LMAO Also, I have no issue roleplaying women,  non whities, or even evil dudes. 8shrug* It is called ROLEPLAYING for a reason.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well... after all these years I find out Volo is not a short, hairy, long bearded guy that swills ale and solves his problems with an axe while shouting a war cry in a thick Scottish accent.

I don't know what to do with that information. All of my illusions are shattered!  :lol:

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

All of my illusions are shattered!  :lol:

volo didn't mention nazis once in a post 'bout race.

*mind blown*

HA! Good Fun!

I usually like to play characters that look somewhat like me* because RPGs for me are usually insert myself into this situation/world/whatever rather than trying to play the role of someone else. It's why I usually skip games with a set in stone protaganist like the Witcher series. 

*In SWTOR all my characters are blue... da ba dee da ba daa 

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

I usually have a concept of what the character in the story might be. Especially single protagonist games like ES, FO, KOTOR, etc. For example Fallout 3 the whole drive of the plot was to find "Dad". and follow Dad. That and some of the other aspects of the story game me the impression the Lone Wanderer was more likely to be female than male. So I played that with a female character. Fallout New Vegas as the opposite for a few reasons. So the part of the Courier felt more suited to a male protagonist to me. As far as their races, I have little patience for making a good looking character using the tools in game. So I go one the Nexus page and look for ones other folks uploaded. Then use the ones I like the best. I pay no attention to the race.

Elder Scrolls handled that a little differently. If you wanted to play a black character there was always the Redguards but no one race was suited to every style of play. So the racial choice was more driven by the skills that matched the style of play you favored or what you thought fit the story. For my part there is no way the Nevareine was not going to be a Dunmer, the "Hero of Cyrodill" was not an Imperial, or the Dragonborn was not a Nord.From a story point of view. If ES VI is in Hammerfell I'll play it as a Redguard. 

The kind of PC you play is a pretty personal choice I guess. Shady puts himself into the story so the story becomes his. That is one way to go. I go the opposite way, I become the story's rather than the story becoming mine.

Just my $.02

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Are blacks truly 'underreprsented'?

I don't really know as I don't play lots of "modern" games. I mainly play oldschool fantasy stuff, RPGs only, never shooters or other 3D-cinema-like games. In fantasy RPG type of games the presence of black characters is often reduced to the choice of skin color. There are some NPCs in the game that have different shades of brown or black and maybe there is a country like Vailia that is inhabited by black people, but mostly the culture of that country is just a reflection of some existing country. The people there are black, but it is just cosmetic. Western or asian countries definitely get more love. (Don't know, why you mentioned asians. The magical asian ninja country is a must have in every fantasy setting that goes beyond medieval europe)

As for the questions, first off, it is racist to start a thread banning all but one race from answering. Second, as for myself, since dwarves at emy favored race  I clearly don't need my characters to be me. Afterall, I'm a 6' dude who is comfortable playing 4' dudes. LMAO Also, I have no issue roleplaying women,  non whities, or even evil dudes. 8shrug* It is called ROLEPLAYING for a reason.

I banned no one. You just have to read the whole post. But I'm especially interested in the opinion of black people as that post from the black guy was what started me thinking. I never could imagine playing white, male characters only, but as I read that post I realized, that over the years I read a few posts from black people where they said, that they wanted to play black characters. I especially remember that one, where someone described the feeling of playing Baldurs Gate for the first time as a kid. It was the first game, where he was able to choose a black MC and he was very happy to play "someone like him". So I asked myself, if that kind of exclusion leads to a different roleplaying behaviour. But to be honest, I don't even know, if that is still a problem. Apart from PoE I didn't buy games for the last 15 years.

I have one question: Why dwarves?

Please excuse my bad english and confused writing, I'm a little drunk. My wife and I are celebrating womens day :)

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 1

---

We're all doomed

Luckily I'm an ethnic mutt so I can pretty much go with any colour protagonist.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Women's day is a drinking holiday? Huh. And here I thought it was stupid. How wrong I was. I think I'll pour a drink and raise a toast to chicks!

Thomas Sowell