any reason to replay poe 1?

i know we can import our character. i know we can create a world state instead. is there any benefit for me to get a POE 1 play through in  before dropping into POE 2? ive actually never finished the first, the end always sort of drones on for me. super excited for the 2nd. i would be willing to play to the end of the 1st if there was some form of benefit vs simply picking the outcomes i want at the begining

I'm just just speculating here since PoE II isn't out yet. To my experience most games with both a savegame emulator, and transferable savegames, skips smaller details in the world setting part of a new game. To me the details that a full playthrough gives really makes a difference for the overall enjoyment of a series.
An example of this is that I had the stupid tattoo in Witcher III when I imported my savegame from the second one. 

So I would totally do a full run with WM for the game.

• Like 7

I agree with previous posts. A complete playthrough is prefered to other alternatives.

That said, have they revealed how the playthrough of PoE carries over to Deadfire? Is it just the save file?

Cause I've gotten a new computer since completing PoE, so I need to manually transfer files to my new computer I assume.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Well, if you don't finish the 1st game and just pick some "world descisions" from the options in Deadfire, as others mentioned, first, you don't know what's happening exactly storywise and option might not be clear enough (had the same problem with Dragon Age Tapestry regarding dlcs of DA2) and, second, minor choices might be skipped in premade world states that would carry on if you imported your save instead.

Now, I can understand you're getting bored of the first game because of the pacing in mid-game, but White March fixes this A LOT, plus the game flows way better after you're done with Defiance Bay and off to Eir Glanafath, imo.

Also, story of both base game and White March is great so I'd recomend you sustain your mid-game boredom just for that.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

I would give two reasons not related to the sequel:

1) this is highly subjective but ending made the game for me - I had many issues with storytelling, pacing and quest design in PoE and for the most part it was an average experience to me. The ending tied previous story threads and characters arc in a way that elevated everything that came before, making my subsequent playthroughs enjoyable, as I could see where all the individual threads (both good and weak) are building forwards. Whenever it will be the same to you - I can’t promise but I would recommend giving it a shot.

2) if you didn’t play White March yet, it is worth returning to the game. Sadly, if you do full playthrough with WM the quality difference between base game and expansion is quite visible.

As far as Deadfire experience - I doubt importing save will boost sequel much unless you are set on continuing this very character with his/her choices. It all depends how robust “save creator” will be - from what was teased it is supposed to allow to create full endgame save modifying both big and small decisions.

• Like 5

I never really understand postings like this, I feel like you already answered your own question. If you don't care at all what happens in the game, then why should you play it. The only other miracle here is why you would want to play the second part, which takes place after the first.

• Like 2

If you think it's fun play it, if you don't then just use the world state.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Its definitely a subjective thing.

For you I'd lean towards completing the original as you haven't done this yet, and as people have mentioned, the later parts of the game generally are the better parts.

For me, I haven't decided if I'll replay POE1 again for two main reasons, one being I'm very time limited for gaming at this point, but mainly because I'm weary of having isometric roleplaying game fatigue going into Deadfire.   Don't get me wrong, it is by far my most favourite sub/genre of gaming bar none, but after playing too many hours and craming it in before the release of Deadfire, I want Deadfire to feel fresh and to jump in with full enthusiasm.   So haven't decided yet.

In saying that I still might and make Pallegina a non Kind-Wayfairer unlike my original playthrough, solely because my PC will be one.

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

In saying that I still might and make Pallegina a non Kind-Wayfairer unlike my original playthrough, solely because my PC will be one.

From what I gathered from this video: 

(at about 6:20 or so)

Is that you can import your save and just change one thing if you want to.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 4

From what I gathered from this video: 

(at about 6:20 or so)

Is that you can import your save and just change one thing if you want to.

Great! I overlooked that part.  :)

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.