Player Freedom Less Than Original Game

I am supposing that the overall organic freedom of the player in Deadfire is equal to or more than the first game but what if the (particularly) story freedom in comparison to the first game? The answer is: Much more. Of course, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out, however...

Now since so many features such as character multi-tasking, broadened exploration, talking swords and such have been added, should the story be forced or take a more directive approach in a Fallout 4 manner to compensate. That's what this is all about.

Please understand, I'm not saying that the game will have less storyline freedom because of these new features, far from it but should freedom in some speculative form be compromised, I'd like to see why. That's all.

Now you tell me, especially because most of you are backers... Are you worried about this? Story freedom sacrificed for new features is nothing new in video games, however, it's in Obsidian's sweet lil paws so there's that.

Tell me your thoughts!

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

You must have misread, I wasn't trying to make a point - I thougt that much was clear.

This was simply me asking a question to backers and beta testers...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

"There is absolutely no evidence of this happening, but IF it were happening, would you guys be worried?!?!"

Go.

Away.

• Like 5

Oh great... another thread of me asking a question being ruined.

Yay.

If only Obsidian would have an open world, highly open yet story driven cRPG under their belt we could look at... oh, fallout: New Vegas.

How did they structure that game? A hook, big chase leading to central city leaving clues all over the place so you have to explore, while being distracted by quests on the way which contribute to worldbuildng and explain slowely introduce central conflict, multiple ways of getting to said city, multiplefactions you have to ally with.

Seems like a lot of those elements are already in Deadfire:

- a hook - Eothas trashing Caed Nua and doing something to your soul

- nakataka acting as central hub of the game

- multiple factions and side content tied to said factions

- factions fighting to control over Deadfire.

It’s difficult to say how much it will follow formula of NV but I expect something closer to that than “story quests” of sandbox open world games like Saints Row, which is, I think, what OP meant by more “direct approach” (did touch fallout4).

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

Yeah! Fallout 4 added so many features and forsake/replaced natural story freedom. Tricking players into thinking that they could be the bad guy if they wanted but instead forcing them to be the good guy by giving them 4 or 5 dialogue choices saying basically the same things but in different words.

I guess only time will tell. I don't think beta allows for a good enough look at it yet (maybe it does) but who knows, last minute changes - major last minute changes are seeming to be made and most probably will. So I was just wondering.

Impossible to say with the Beta.

We don't know how the main quest will be structured, will there be chapters etc...

The one thing we know is that we will have much more freedom due to the free map exploration. Will this freedom be framed remains to see.

• Like 1

@SonicMage117: I really like your inquisitive style, and your thread-starting enthusiasm, but unfortunately, to me, three out of five of your latest additions to the Deadfire forums come across as clickbaits and Deadfire trolling. In 18 days, you have added the following threads:

-Deadfire Failing

-SJW Integration in Deadfire

-Player Freedom Less Than Original Game

To forum visitors, they look like highly critical headlines, which is a bit bizarre, since the game isn't even finished yet.

This last one of yours is great, through, as your inquisitive nature shines through. It also has a question mark:

-Firearms more diverse in Deadfire than PoE1?

Religion in Deadfire is your best title yet.

Just some food for thought. Carry on. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 13

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I thought Fallout 4 was really bottom of the barrel in terms of modern RPGs, and I hated the fixed story plus the yanking of core mechanical elements common to previous members of the franchise. Personally I usually play money-hungry pragmatic characters lacking strict morals, having to chase after your son and caring about him really sucked to me.

If Deadfire had a similar restrictive approach to its story, I really wouldn't want to be playing it. I know no one makes you chase Shawn in FO4, but the voice acting indicates a great level of care for him, so to not chase after him makes your character seem a little schizoid to say the least.

• Like 2

So despite this being a very..... rough opening post let me dignify it.

Go read the actual updates, Sawyer's tweets, etc.

Everything about this games screams it has more freedom for the player on all levels.  You have a map you can sail around however you want.  You are not required to visit gilded vale before raedrics hold if you get the comparison.  You have multiple factions with actual impact to the story itself, not just one chapter of it, they are also much larger, and there are more of them.  Unlike the first game, the sequel also has the option to let you stay independent of the factions by choice instead of by accident/mistake.  It has a larger world over all, more class development options, an actual relationship system, etc etc etc.

None of the things your op suggests have any chance of actually happening.  Eternity 2 will clearly have more freedom for the player than Eternity 1, that was even one of their design goals from day one.

• Like 2

I know, that's why I said Deadfire will have more freedom in almost every regard. This isn't a trolling or critical post, just a thread asking a question. I'm not insuating it will have a story with less freedom or not. I have read Josh's tweets and been following the team's updates though.

Edit:

I suppose that my posts are sought as trolling by the titles but find it strange that people have created troll-ish titles by their threads governed a different reaction by it, for example:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63807-racism-sexism-bigotry/

I'm supposing that this is mainly due because the game isn't out yet and some might think I'm aiming to spoil an unreleased product but that isn't necessarily my fault. As the saying goes, you shan't judge a book by it's cover, nor a thread by it's title. In fact, my threads were already reported by many who could not take my titles or the context, for no other reason than "not liking" how I wrote it when there was nothing wrong with my threads. It's what inspires me to have new ideas though and write even better than before so in a way, I should thank them, the members that dislike ne ponderings and scribbles.

I'm already brainstorming my next thread and it will be the best one yet.

Edited by SonicMage117

I'm not asking people to judge it by the beta, I'm asking if anyone is worried about it...

I'm not judging it? There's nothing I said to conclude such a thing. I cannot help if people want to draw the wrong conclusion or a negative one by my style of writing but I am just as positive and excited about the game as anyone else here... The main reason I backed Deadfire is because Pillars 1 was the first game I played that held up to BG2.

However, I'd be lying if I said that Deadfire looked perfect in any way and so far beta has proven that in terns of combat. The worry comes from the possibility of focus more on systems and maybe less on story creation, this creating limitation. I realize anyone can tell me "You're stupid for saying such a thing, it's an Obsidian rpg" - we're all fanboys here, but I'm not insinuating or supposing that the game will suffer from it, just starting a conversation and the means to a reality of why it won't suffer from the same fate of Fallout 4 (excluding the glorious answer of "They're not Bethesda, that's why" of course, because some people think that only one company's games can suffer from certain things apparently).

This isn't really that big of a deal, it's just a thread. If you're wondering if I'm losing sleep over it, I'm not lol I was just bored and wanted to write. Like I said, more than anything I'm positively awaiting release and am very much looking forward to it. Even if it turned out bad, there are hundreds of other games. I didn't mean to offend anyone, nor do I see the thread as negative in any way.

Edited by SonicMage117

I'm way too excited for the game XD

• Like 1

I'm way too excited for the game XD

That's fair enough, nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm.

But yeah, can't say I'm worried about what you talked about in the first post but I'm not really excited either. Just sort of keeping an eye on it see how it develops.

• Like 1

nowt

Advice @SonicMage117. The reason most people don't get your initial points is because most in here use english as a language of communication. You use internet. I know it sounds like american english but its not quite the same. Try switching to english yourself too. It'll be easier for everyone.

• Like 1

Wow... I've already stated plenty of times, English is not my first language. Sorry my english isn't good enough for you.

Wow... I've already stated plenty of times, English is not my first language. Sorry my english isn't good enough for you.

It's way better than mine that's for sure. I was being sarcastic of course. Your english is great as english but you talk internet-ish and that comes out as you being a troll... So... are you one or not? If not, just use normal thread titles instead of click-baity-internet-slangish catch phrases. This'll help our attitude towards you too. I seriously can't tell if your posts are serious or not, not untill you've elaborated over 3 or 4 posts at least.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1