RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - NOW IN 5$ LOOT BOXES

Blarghagh

THQ Nordic has been fairly consumer-friendly over the last couple years, relatively speaking.  Hopefully, as they grow, they continue this trend and don't follow EA, Activision Blizzard, and Ubisoft over to the dark side known as Games as a Service or Live Gaming.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wonder if THQ would try to bring back Sacred in a form more like the first two rather than Deep Silver's Sacred 3.  Or if the IP is just dead now after 3.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

THQ Nordic bought Koch Media. That means Deep Silver and their IPs are now under the THQ umbrella. I didn't see this one coming. Metro and Saints Row are no back where they started.

My understanding is that THQ Nordic is just Nordic with a name change, not the old THQ. I'd be surprised if they had any of the management of THQ on staff, honestly.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

THQ Nordic has been fairly consumer-friendly over the last couple years, relatively speaking. Hopefully, as they grow, they continue this trend and don't follow EA, Activision Blizzard, and Ubisoft over to the dark side known as Games as a Service or Live Gaming.

May work better for them if they recognize gamers as the easily led sheep they are.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/02/09/activision-blizzard-made-4-billion-microtransactions-2017-half-revenue/

That is a big chunk of change

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wonder if THQ would try to bring back Sacred in a form more like the first two rather than Deep Silver's Sacred 3. Or if the IP is just dead now after 3.

I wouldn't be opposed to a proper Sacred 4. On the other hand, they already own the recently revived Titan Quest IP, which was a much better loot em up to begin with IMHO.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I probably enjoyed the structure of Titan Quest more than the sort of open wandering of Sacred, but I liked both.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Never played any of the Sacred sequels but I enjoyed Sacred well enough, even if they went overboard with the stats. Who needs three seperate cooldown regeneration stats, two stats that increase hitpoints and a skill system where slotting skills in the gear changes the cooldown in a less daramatic fashion than learning them does in an ARPG?

Although the sheer amount of viable builds resulting from the stat and gear chaos was pretty nice.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

THQ Nordic bought Koch Media. That means Deep Silver and their IPs are now under the THQ umbrella. I didn't see this one coming. Metro and Saints Row are no back where they started.

My understanding is that THQ Nordic is just Nordic with a name change, not the old THQ. I'd be surprised if they had any of the management of THQ on staff, honestly.

Yup, Nordic Games just changed its name to THQ Nordic as they believe that it increases their brand recognition 

THQ Nordic has been fairly consumer-friendly over the last couple years, relatively speaking. Hopefully, as they grow, they continue this trend and don't follow EA, Activision Blizzard, and Ubisoft over to the dark side known as Games as a Service or Live Gaming.

May work better for them if they recognize gamers as the easily led sheep they are.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/02/09/activision-blizzard-made-4-billion-microtransactions-2017-half-revenue/

That is a big chunk of change

And in semi related news, Paradox has finally gone the whole hog and their new CEO is CCO of an online gambling company. Maybe they can synergise their industry leading dlc strategy with the visceral thrill of affordable randomised reward containers? Only good things can come of this.

The Nordic/ Deep Silver thing is pretty good news, though to be fair to them Deep Silver themselves were one of the better publishers so far as consumers were concerned.

I loved the silliness of Sacred 2 but one thing that made me quit was the horrid camera. 

The goblins had the best battlecry. Also loved that they didn't translate the goblin talk into English. Made them a nice inside joke for German speakers :)

Schnell, haut ihm den Kopf ab, ich brauch einen neuen Aschenbecher!

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I loved the silliness of Sacred 2 but one thing that made me quit was the horrid camera. 

The goblins had the best battlecry. Also loved that they didn't translate the goblin talk into English. Made them a nice inside joke for German speakers :)

Schnell, haut ihm den Kopf ab, ich brauch einen neuen Aschenbecher!

Ah, so they reused the line from the first game? Heh. :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I did enjoy some of the hilariously broken builds possible in the original Sacred.  My favorite was the Machinegun Daemon.  The build took advantage of the devs' failure to code a crossbow animation for the Deamon while using Soaring Daemon (flying).  Normally, the Daemon was meant to be a hybrid melee/caster class and was terrible using any ranged weapon, crossbow included.  However, since the devs never created an attack animation for the Daemon while she was flying the game defaulted to the unarmed attack animation, which was the fastest attack animation in the game for that character.  This allowed you to shoot the powerful, but normally slow firing, crossbow extremely rapidly with bolts coming out of your hip while you kicked the air.  It was both hilarious and extremely OP.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

System Shock reboot put on hiatus. Apparently, feature creep is what killed the current version, but Night Dive does want to continue development. Yeah, that's what you get when you start promising stuff like fully-fleshed out RPG elements as a stretch goal for a game that never needed them in the first place.

Dammit. I guess they need to raise more capital or something? At least they aren't saying it's canceled, but you never know with PR these days.

They probably don't say it is canned, because then everyone would be up on the fence.

Honestly, KS and Co. is done for me. I sure as hell won't give money for any game this way anymore.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Honestly, KS and Co. is done for me. I sure as hell won't give money for any game this way anymore.

Dunno man, on one hand, whenever I donated money for a KS project, I considered it flushed down the toilet and I never donated more than I was willing to flush down said toilet - I feel that's the only healthy way to support things on KS as nobody can ever guarantee you that the project you've donated will succeed. On the other hand, KS brought us some truly amazing stuff that would not be possible without it.

• Like 7

...or like SpaceVenture.

Not surprised though, they barely reached their goal and that money simply wasn't enough to deliver the game on time or even finish it. I still wish Two Guys From Andromeda the best of luck!

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

They probably don't say it is canned, because then everyone would be up on the fence.

I 100% understand why you feel this way, but I haven't backed a single Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/FIG campaign that has not delivered and I'm at about 40 backed projects.

Only remaining ones that have to release are:

BattleTech

Copper Dreams

Indivisible

Pillars of Eternity II

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I 100% understand why you feel this way, but I haven't backed a single Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/FIG campaign that has not delivered and I'm at about 40 backed projects.

Only remaining ones that have to release are:

BattleTech

Copper Dreams

Indivisible

Pillars of Eternity II

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The only crowd-funded project that I backed that hasn't delivered yet is Jeremy Soule's symphony. We got some "sketches" which is self-deprecating on Jeremy Soule's part and they are more than worthy of their own release; However, the download link only worked for a few days before it broke. This was in December of last year... It still hasn't been fixed! Updates have been rare throughout the project and this problem with the download has been no exception. We're still supposed to get a CD with the actual orchestrated symphony that we originally backed for some day but it's always next year.

Right now, it's difficult not to feel angry. This project was funded five years ago and we've been treated as if we're expendable the entire time.

System Shock reboot put on hiatus. Apparently, feature creep is what killed the current version, but Night Dive does want to continue development. Yeah, that's what you get when you start promising stuff like fully-fleshed out RPG elements as a stretch goal for a game that never needed them in the first place.

Would anyone have cared about such a remake if they didn't try to make it more of a role-playing game? System Shock 2 is the one that gets all the love and that's apparently more of an RPG than the predecessor. I don't remember much talk about System Shock before the KickStarter either.

Anyways, sad to see such mismanagement regardless. When they switched from Unity to Unreal midway that probably should have been a red flag. Are the KickStarter funds all they had or did they have other funding? If KickStarter is all they had I doubt they have anything left to actually finish the game. 18 months with a million dollars is not much.

Edited by Jozape