The Little Things That Got "lost In Translation"

There is a chance that this game is KOTOR2. So I thought maybe we could list the little things that bugged us about KOTOR. I know, someone is going to post "teh Combats". Those are big topics, and can be a thread unto themselves. I am talking about stuff more like:

While I personally enjoyed it, alot of people didn't seem to like the fact that their NPCs would stop at some points during the game to have a discussion that didn't nessasarily further the plot. It did further char devolpment tho.

I HATED how half those info pads in the game were called "Data pad". Not to mention the lack of ability to organize the inventory.

The fighter mini game, not very fun. I did enjoy pod/swoop (forgot what they were) racing.

One of my largest qualms with KOTOR was the inventory management or lack thereof. A more user-oriented inventory interface would be preferrable to the console scroller that Bioware used.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

One of my largest qualms with KOTOR was the inventory management or lack thereof. A more user-oriented inventory interface would be preferrable to the console scroller that Bioware used.

That was ever so painful.

By the end of the game it would take me a week to arm someone.

The containers on the ship were by far the most useless thing in the game. It was impossibly difficult to place more than a few items into the containers because you had to scroll through them and insert the items one at a time - hardly an efficient method.

Exitium

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

It was impossibly difficult to place more than a few items into the containers because you had to scroll through them and insert the items one at a time

I forgot all about that.

I didn't like how you couldn't mess with your NPCs inventory while on the ship.

It was impossibly difficult to place more than a few items into the containers because you had to scroll through them and insert the items one at a time

I forgot all about that.

I didn't like how you couldn't mess with your NPCs inventory while on the ship.

It was a source of much discontent, to be sure. It forced you to take them on as party members and exit the ship just to swap the inventory around.

Exitium

It's suggested not once, but twice. One of the NPCs at the race bar on Tatooine suggests that you can buy upgrades at the shop in the center of town but none of it ever amounts to anything valid.

Exitium

Suggesting something is possible but then not allowing players to do it is hardly about realism. Perhaps it may add to some form of immersion into the current events, but that is different. I think its completely unapropriate as well; if something can't be done, then don't lead players into thinking otherwise. Adding these kinds of hints and then cutting the possibility of executing them only makes it feel more limited than it should. Its also a waste of time; how many lines of dialogue would have been spared if people didn't included 4 or 5 choices which led to the same thing, or if they didn't included 500 words just to explain something you can't do? That's bad design in my opinion.

I think it's just to add realism.

I think they were just things that got dropped from the game, like the security spikes that Mission can make...

Stuff that got removed later on, but there were still references to it that got left behind.

If Project X is in fact "KotOR: 2 - Electric Boogaloo", then I think it'll be a good test for Obsidian to prove themselves.

Certainly, if they get on well with Microsoft, there could be future games on the horizon.

I wouldn't expect much to change on the engine side, while we can wish for a decent inventory, or being able to switch through NPCs items whenever we like, these are just console issues, that we'll have to get used to.

I HATED the sugestions of things I could do but could not really do. I looked all over for upgrades to my swoop bike and could not find them. Finally I went to the forums to see what I was doing wrong. Turned out I was doing nothing wrong, no upgrades were avaliable, F!@# that! That may seem harsh, but damn that pissed me off. Smae goes for changing the course of the ship. I loved most other aspects of the game. I will agree that the inventory was much too obviously designed for a console.

supposedly the changing the course of the leviathen was going to be downloadable for xbox.

but the swoop thing pissed me off.

after getting used to the combat i really enjoyed it. so i wouldn't mind if you don't change that.

inventory sucked though. and the fact that you could hold onto virtually unlimited stuff.

admitedly i played it on xbox, and the controlls worked fine for it.

Hmm, couldn't you filter the inventory in the PC version of KotOR? I know you could in the XBox version, made finding stuff pretty easy I thought [but the inventory could still be improved, even still].

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I agree with the lack of swoop upgrades and bad inventory layout as mentioned above.

One thing that also annoyed me is how the game pushes you to make a Soldier character, since the only real difference between the classes is that the Soldier wins fights more easily. I first played the game as a Scoundrel and had to die and reload millions of times until I finished the game, then played as a Soldier and honestly didn't die once.

There should have been more differences in the way the game moves on depending on the class you choose (class-related quests, perhaps? I loved in games like Quest for Glory how thieves could do Thieves Guild quests, pick pockets, break into mansions etc, for example) and in some cases alternatives to combat for non-Soldier characters.

I was also annoyed by the small number of possible endings. A Light side ending and a Dark side ending, nothing more.

One thing that also annoyed me is how the game pushes you to make a Soldier character, since the only real difference between the classes is that the Soldier wins fights more easily. I first played the game as a Scoundrel and had to die and reload millions of times until I finished the game, then played as a Soldier and honestly didn't die once.

There should have been more differences in the way the game moves on depending on the class you choose (class-related quests, perhaps? I loved in games like Quest for Glory how thieves could do Thieves Guild quests, pick pockets, break into mansions etc, for example) and in some cases alternatives to combat for non-Soldier characters.

I was also annoyed by the small number of possible endings. A Light side ending and a Dark side ending, nothing more.

as a scoundrel i could talk my way out of most things and the basic enemies were still relevtively easy to kill, it was just that the final boss battle was just that, a battle, and that a soldier, or even a scout were much more suited to that than a scoundrel

Scoundrels were without a doubt the weakest class in KOTOR. Also considering the fact that you are Darth Malak, I highly doubt that you started off as a scoundrel.

Exitium

Scoundrels were without a doubt the weakest class in KOTOR. Also considering the fact that you are Darth Malak, I highly doubt that you started off as a scoundrel.

No they weren't.

Scoundrel was probably the most powerful. You could easily powergame a scoundrel to have an AC of 44, dealing 100 points of damage each hit.

*cough*Bandon's broken saber*cough*

Even without the Bandon saber of cheapness, playing a scoundrel/consular could be insanely overpowered.

I played the game through as a Scoundrel myself, because I like to see the dialogue options that come up when you have the 'high charisma/persuasion' characters. I then went on to become a Consoler by accident. I had meant to pick Sentinel, but picked the Consoler instead and didn't feel like reloading. :)

I didn't find the game to be too hard, but I can definitely see that the solder class would have a lot easier time through many parts. However, starting as a rogue meant that I was able to push my skills up high, so I could stack my party with combat-centric NPCs instead of skill-focused ones.

-Akari

True except that from the odd mine removal there was no much point in skills that you could not get away with playing as any jedi class.

The issue with computers and repair was simply a matter of having enough items (getting high Computer Use was easy due to the number of items that give it a boost) and the idea of HK 47 repair was one of the dumbest ideas for "replay value" I ever seen.

Of course the biggest afront to skill was BioWare raping the skill system that end up making Int a dump stat, with just proves the basic of the d20 system is fine and sould not be screwed around with.

And Sentinel was sub par compared with the other Jedi classes.

drakron.png