The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games (poll) - CLOSED! See new thread for results

algroth

I've turned into a console gamer, but I still love RPGs and still prefer NV to FO4.  Hell, I prefer FO3 to FO4.

It might very much depend on what you like in your RPG and what you value more. I found world, characters, quest design and overall structure more engaging in NV than Fallout3, which after initial “WoW!” moment quickly bored me to death. It is still the only Bethesda title that I managed to play for quite a few hours, but it was more due to the nostalgia than enjoyment of the game. I started to really dislike it recently as it kept me from trying NV for many years, and it turned out to be one of the most satisfying RPGs I played in years. I didn’t touch fallout4. It seems to be filled with many of systems, which could make for a fun game (weapon customization, city building) but I doubt they are fleshed out and polished enough to carry the game. Dialogue system looks laughable for a fallout game and I heard from a trusted source that story is embarrassingly bad.

Still, they could make a really good fallout shooter and I would probably still dislike it for wearing a corpse of something I love.

We're almost there! I won't be around much today due to a pretty busy day, but I'll have a look at any lists received throughout the day tonight. What I have received and tallied so far:

Bartimaeus

Leferd

Raithe

Katphood

redneckdevil

Pidesco

IndiraLightfoot

eimatshya

Fenixp

ShadySands

Hurlshot

Keyrock

Tigranes

SonicMage117

evilcat

Epaminondas

Amentep

TrueNeutral

Zoraptor

Malcador

injurai

marelooke

Mamoulian War

melkathi

Jozape

Humanoid

Fiasco

ZyroMane

Huinehtar

Wormerine

Messier-31

Lemme know if I'm missing anyone. The poll will be closing tomorrow night!

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The poll closes *tonight*! Contributors so far have been:

Bartimaeus

Leferd

Raithe

Katphood

redneckdevil

Pidesco

IndiraLightfoot

eimatshya

Fenixp

ShadySands

Hurlshot

Keyrock

Tigranes

SonicMage117

evilcat

Epaminondas

Amentep

TrueNeutral

Zoraptor

Malcador

injurai

marelooke

Mamoulian War

melkathi

Jozape

Humanoid

Fiasco

ZyroMane

Huinehtar

Wormerine

Messier-31

Azdeus

blotter

FlintlockJazz

Anyone else still has time till tonight to take part! Just send me the list with the points distributed as indicated in the OP. I'll start rolling out the results tomorrow.

We are officially on overtime! I'm waiting for clarifications on the submission of a particular user right now, and once they've been sorted I'll officially close the poll. In the meantime, this is your *last chance* to send in your submissions if you haven't already, and I won't wait after the above is sorted. If you haven't yet and want to take part, now's the time!

Lists received (so far):

Bartimaeus

Leferd

Raithe

Katphood

redneckdevil

Pidesco

IndiraLightfoot

eimatshya

Fenixp

ShadySands

Hurlshot

Keyrock

Tigranes

SonicMage117

evilcat

Epaminondas

Amentep

TrueNeutral

Zoraptor

Malcador

injurai

marelooke

Mamoulian War

melkathi

Jozape

Humanoid

Fiasco

ZyroMane

Huinehtar

Wormerine

Messier-31

Azdeus

blotter

FlintlockJazz

SadExchange

Thanks to all who have contributed their lists to the poll!

Edited by algroth

Looking through everyone else's lists, I would like to amend mine with a final 5 games to bring up my total count to 25. My original list was this:

​Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000) - BioWare
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) - Nintendo
Undertale (2015) - Toby Fox
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (2007) - GSC Game World
MOTHER aka Earthbound Beginnings/Zero (1989) - Ape
Banjo-Kazooie (1998) - Rare
Diablo II (2000) - Blizzard North
Dark Souls (2011) - FromSoftware
Planescape: Torment (1999) - Black Isle Studios
Terranigma (1995) - Quintet
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (1995) - Rare
Bloodborne (2015) - FromSoftware
MOTHER 2 aka Earthbound (1994) - Ape
Half-Life (1998) - Valve Corporation
Portal (2007) - Valve Corporation
Super Mario World (1990) - Nintendo
Age of Empires II (1999) - Ensemble Studios
Neverwinter Nights II: Mask of the Betrayer (2007) - Obsidian Entertainment
Life Is Strange (2015) - Dontnod Entertainment
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan) aka Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (USA) (1986) - Nintendo

...and these are my final 5:

Faster Than Light (2012) - Subset Games

Papers, Please (2013) - 3909 LLC

WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002) - Blizzard Entertainment

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991) - Nintendo

...Dang it, I can't think of a final game. Give it to...uh...screw it, give it to Tetris (whateveryear) - the developer.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Portal is a tough one. I really think that should be on my list, but I'll stand by what I posted. Portal is one of only a few games I actually arsed myself to get all the achievements. Great fun. MotB deserved to be on my list, but it was an xpac for an existing game and that ruled it out of my paradigm. The rubric had specific requirements. Still, nothing is immutable.

χαίρετε

Meanwhile, your list very nearly forced me to make Hitman: Blood Money my final entry...but alas, I felt the game had one too many flaws to be deserving.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Portal is a tough one. I really think that should be on my list, but I'll stand by what I posted. Portal is one of only a few games I actually arsed myself to get all the achievements. Great fun. MotB deserved to be on my list, but it was an xpac for an existing game and that ruled it out of my paradigm. The rubric had specific requirements. Still, nothing is immutable.

I took NWN2 with both expansions as a whole game. Without MoTB and SoZ, it would not get on my list.

Anyway if this will ever repeat again, the Duke will unfortunatelly need to go to allow the inclusion of Lands Of Lore 1 :(

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I also included expansions with the base game on my list. My only regret is that I didn't give l give Sword of the Samurai 101 points

Yeah, this goes for me too. IIRC, I meant my games to be counted with expansions (Is that an English sentence?), like for NWN1 and NWN2, and for the Civ games I listed.

EDIT: Yup! I just double checked, all of my games listed should be interpreted as including all expansions.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I just realized that the simplest thing for algroth to do is to do it like this:

-Someone lists MotB, then put NWN2 on his list

-Someone lists NWN 1 persistent Worlds, then put NWN1 on his list 

-Someone put two expansions in different places on a list, add those points together.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The list is already compiled! :grin: The only thing missing is a couple of clarifications regarding one of the latest entries, that had both the Baldur's Gate trilogy as a single vote (need to split it up or to name just one of the games), and both versions of Sid Meier's Pirates! without indication to which is which. When that is resolved, I'll close the list and begin posting the results.

Also, what I've done with regards to games and expansions is that I've included enhanced editions, extended editions, remasters and "director's cuts" all as part of the main game, same for whether the expansion was named alongside the core game or not. If an expansion was named *on its own*, however, I have counted that as a separate entry instead, adding points on its own. This I find to be better in case some expansions have a campaign that is itself worth more attention than the original game it was based on or any such thing (such as what is often thought of the Shadowrun Returns expansions, Hordes of the Underdark or Mask of the Betrayer for example). Without a doubt it'll be the most contentious point come the results too, but we'll see.

Edited by algroth

I think a debate over the process will be fun, but this is your idea, your work, and your decision. Your baby, your call. So, I'm happy to discuss the methodology you used, but I also think it's good to have one person be the final arbiter because you can't find perfect and a committee would nit pic the hell out of the whole thing. On the other hand, if you provide the raw data to others who might tweak it, you could see different results. Kind of takes the fun out of it for me, but there might be someone else who's interested. There are great programs out there that brute force the math so you don't have to number crunch it all yourself unless you enjoy it.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

The first batch of results is up! We had a 13-way-tie for 94th place, meaning the list got extended to 106 entries. I'll be attempting to upload ten or so results every couple of days from here on. As for this particular batch, right off the bat we have quite a few heavy hitters making an appearance. Opinions on these?

• Like 3