The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games (poll) - CLOSED! See new thread for results

algroth

I can definitely see sorting it out because putting out the whole hundred at once might be too much to digest and some great titles will end up getting short shrift. After all, #100 of the top hundred games is still a respectable showing. Also, usually you dump a subject who doesn't fulfill the requirements you're trying to assess, but for our little corner of internet heaven, I don't think you need be so rigorous. It's your call, bud. Plus, take my suggestions with a grain of salt and I won't be offended if you don't take them at all.

χαίρετε

Keep up good work.

There could be some off list summarise of "most meritorious series" to somehow tie up all Fallouts.

There is challenge in measurment of games from 20 years ago, they ware great at time, and are influencial for sure. But i havent played them recently, and not going to, so it doesnt even matter.

I can definitely see sorting it out because putting out the whole hundred at once might be too much to digest and some great titles will end up getting short shrift. After all, #100 of the top hundred games is still a respectable showing. Also, usually you dump a subject who doesn't fulfill the requirements you're trying to assess, but for our little corner of internet heaven, I don't think you need be so rigorous. It's your call, bud. Plus, take my suggestions with a grain of salt and I won't be offended if you don't take them at all.

I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean with dumping a subject which doesn't fulfill the requirements?

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Even though none of my games will win, I'm perhaps still curious to see what bozo games will win :) I'm stayin tuned.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Sorry, you were talking earlier about someone who failed to fill out the questionnaire properly. I was suggesting that you would normally disqualify it, but I think you can actually just play around with the data and still use it for the purpose of this project.

Oh, right. Yeah, normally that would be the way to do it, but I valued having their list over punctuality, so long as it didn't take too long. Especially considering it was Christmas and, y'know, life can get busy.

Edited by algroth

Spice Opera was a good soundtrack as well. Even if only for the name :)

edit:

next year when you do the top soundtrack poll I'll include it ;)

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

wow, hard to believe this many games tied for #94

:p

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Aw, Hurlshot, there will *always* be a Monkey Island. ...Or Grim Fandango. ...Or Half Life 2. I think it's good that some of us have a little regret over our lists. If you can name off your top twenty-five games without having to rethink, you aren't fit to be in the company of true gamers. Now, like some other bloke said above, I can name off my top five pretty damned easy, but the brilliance of Algroth's list is that it's big enough to catch a broad spectrum but small enough that you have to narrow it down with hard choices.

• Like 2

χαίρετε

I would have felt guilty if I had focused on the older games and let nostalgia blind me. If I am to be true and honest with myself, gaming since before the "golden" age of gaming, I can confess that my most memorable gaming moments in life are from more modern/newer games than old ones of yesteryear. Which is why I had to make my list full of newer titles.

Very happy to see Super Meat Boy officially got a spot. A mdern classic that truly outdoes alot of retro platformers, the response in the controller is much faster thanks to newer technology and the boss fights with raging metal music is fitting.

Now, I have seasonal hope that some of the other games I nominated will win some spots, though my choices were underrated and hostility grows towards them for outdoing the old and ushering the new indie movement from a few years back. Shovel Knight and Hotline Miami would be a couple other great examples of retro new outdoing retro old. I feel confident in this belief as it has only shown true, what say you?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Now, I have seasonal hope that some of the other games I nominated will win some spots, though my choices were underrated and hostility grows towards them for outdoing the old and ushering the new indie movement from a few years back. Shovel Knight and Hotline Miami would be a couple other great examples of retro new outdoing retro old. I feel confident in this belief as it has only shown true, what say you?

I haven't noticed any such attitude at all, myself. If anything I think the press and playerbase are all too eager to assume newer is always better, whilst all too quickly criticizing "yesteryear games" of being dated and assuming they're beloved only for the sake of nostalgia. As you seem to suggest in your post above as well. We'll have a look at the rest of the list to see how things turn out, but based on the lists I've seen the presence of new and old games has been quite even throughout. Some may favour older, some may favour newer, but I hardly think the decisions on what to include in each list were as dictated by overarching principles and broader motivations as you make it out to be. I think people just presented the games they liked.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 4

If you look very closely at my list, you can see the telltale signs of a truly vengeful ne'er-do-well who very specifically chose games to spite our dear SonicMage (...ignore that we apparently actually had a game in common, from what I'm seeing of his list right now).

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I honestly don't understand you, my acoustical wizard friend. Perhaps it's the extra holiday cheer of the evening that impedes my mental processes, but I'll be damned glad if a gem as fine as Sunless Sea doesn't make it on the list. It means I clearly have better tastes than the rest of you sods! hehehe

The good thing about seeing what other people posted is to get a chance to hear about cool games. Might not get to play them all. That would take more than my lifetime, no doubt, but still gives me a chance to hear about new games or find solidarity with others in games we've enjoyed in common. Also, it lets me see games that I seriously considered, such as Mordheim, that didn't make it into my list but I know at least got some love from others. I never saw this as a contest. If I had, I probably wouldn't have bothered to post in this thread. We're gamers. Drinking and fighting over games is what we do. It's not a contest. It's a war. Better bring game. Now sit down before I have Morte bite ya.

χαίρετε

I wasn't meaning from this community specifically, just in general from my generation :/ It was just my personal existence of experience from groups of common age or disrespected developers who thought out the box to being us something new and when they did, criticized and chastized the community did for daring to serve them a treat. Thankfully, we have games like Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Dragon Knight, Willy-Nilly Knight, Super-Chibi Knight, Muffin Knight, Arkham Knight which have all proven that we can still enjoy retro in today's age without feeling sorry for myself and dwelling in the past ticket of Almur. I'm looking at Alvin Alvaron for this, who opposed me quite critically for speaking the truth. Diminishing my honor in front of thousands, the joke's on him as that was before the indie movement took place. I foretold it would happen and proved therewas I shant be but appreciated for this just list I have presented.

Sorry. Wasn't talking about this group of individuals.