Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Project Indiana Job Ads - from multiplatform to console?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

April 2017: http://www.obsidian....i-artist-senior

Senior UI Artist

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a Senior UI Artist to collaborate in the design and creation of the user interface for our next great multi-platform RPG.

This artist will be responsible for developing a ground breaking user-experience, responsibilities will include: inventing concepts, mocking up designs (static and animated), creating assets, importing them, assembling them and animating them in Unreal's UMG.

October 2017: http://www.obsidian....ironment-artist

Senior Environment Artist

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented, self-motivated Environment Artist to collaborate with a growing team of developers.

The Senior Environment Artist will be responsible for EXPERTLY creating aesthetically pleasing environments, for a console RPG. Using their knowledge of shape and form, proportions, color and design principles, this artist will model high and low-poly objects, bake textures, export/import assets, apply materials, assemble environments, and generally: be an all-around bad-ass!

What's up with that?

Edited by Infinitron, 23 October 2017 - 01:24 PM.

• Wormerine likes this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8908 posts

im a badass

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Maybe a different game? That half of a project that Feargus mentioned?

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4384 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

April 2017: http://www.obsidian....i-artist-senior

Senior UI Artist

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a Senior UI Artist to collaborate in the design and creation of the user interface for our next great multi-platform RPG.

This artist will be responsible for developing a ground breaking user-experience, responsibilities will include: inventing concepts, mocking up designs (static and animated), creating assets, importing them, assembling them and animating them in Unreal's UMG.

October 2017: http://www.obsidian....ironment-artist

Senior Environment Artist

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented, self-motivated Environment Artist to collaborate with a growing team of developers.

The Senior Environment Artist will be responsible for EXPERTLY creating aesthetically pleasing environments, for a console RPG. Using their knowledge of shape and form, proportions, color and design principles, this artist will model high and low-poly objects, bake textures, export/import assets, apply materials, assemble environments, and generally: be an all-around bad-ass!

What's up with that?

Okay, here's a very convoluted guess (my apologies):

Obsidian has released their Pathfinder card game.

And this spring, we got a lot of Pathfinder CRPG questions in that survey.

Then we saw that Russian Kingmaker Pathfinder CRPG in the making, with MCA and all, based on the Unity engine, early summer.

Perhaps Obsidian started off with a bigger undertaking, but is now left with the task of making a Pathfinder CRPG for consoles.

I'm not saying it's Kingmaker, but perhaps some other Pathfinder CRPG?

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2545 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Vampire! ..or something else

My money is on one of those two

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Okay, here's a very convoluted guess (my apologies):

Obsidian has released their Pathfinder card game.

And this spring, we got a lot of Pathfinder CRPG questions in that survey.

Then we saw that Russian Kingmaker Pathfinder CRPG in the making, with MCA and all, based on the Unity engine, early summer.

Perhaps Obsidian started off with a bigger undertaking, but is now left with the task of making a Pathfinder CRPG for consoles.

I'm not saying it's Kingmaker, but perhaps some other Pathfinder CRPG?

They are not done with Pathfinder Adventures yet. I doubt they would work on the 4 fantasy projects at the same time. Pathfinder Adventures & CRPG, Pillars 2 and possibly Tyranny DLC. 

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3816 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My money is on none of those.

Source: Tales from my butt.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A grand, nay epic, space vampire saga! 

Imagine if Vampire: Bloodlines and Mass Effect had a baby.

It's never been done before (or...?).

My body needs it.

• eimatshya likes this

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's almost certainly the same game in both ads. They're unlikely to be hiring Seniors for two different projects at the same time.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2329 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Reading far too much into it.

UI position, you want to take the unique differences between PC and console expectations, input devices etc into account to get the best for both. Environmental artist? You want console expertise as anything that the consoles can handle a PC certainly can. If it were a programming position specifying console only it would be more significant, or even if we still had the more PC distant Cell or PowerPC based consoles, but this doesn't mean much for whether there's a PC version or not given that both PS and Xbox are using AMD Radeon/ x86 systems that aren't much different from their laptop APUs (though they're considerably better at playing games than APU laptops, of course, and far worse at running Office).

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Maybe they decided to develop separate UI for different platforms like a sensible developer.

• Ganrich likes this

injurai

injurai

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Reading far too much into it.

UI position, you want to take the unique differences between PC and console expectations, input devices etc into account to get the best for both. Environmental artist? You want console expertise as anything that the consoles can handle a PC certainly can. If it were a programming position specifying console only it would be more significant, or even if we still had the more PC distant Cell or PowerPC based consoles, but this doesn't mean much for whether there's a PC version or not given that both PS and Xbox are using AMD Radeon/ x86 systems that aren't much different from their laptop APUs (though they're considerably better at playing games than APU laptops, of course, and far worse at running Office).

Yeah it's best to invest in a companies technology frameworks in such a way the many projects could make use of the tech. Best to have as broad of experience to properly lay the foundation for things to come.

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

November 2017 - it's multiplatform again: http://www.obsidian....n/1019-producer

Producer 

Obsidian Entertainment is currently looking for an experienced Producer to join the development team making our next great multi-platform RPG.

The ideal candidate has been in a leadership position for the entire production cycle for at least one AAA game and is familiar with all aspects of game development. Candidates should demonstrate outstanding communication and organizational skills, must possess a strong understanding of development workflows, production processes, testing, contracting and outsourcing, licensing, and development project management.

This position involves working with dev team leaders and stakeholders from the internal development team and our publishing partners to create and maintain development schedules. Quickly identifying and solving short-term problems and resource bottlenecks, while simultaneously shepherding the project's critical features and content through an entire development cycle.

Edited by Infinitron, 30 November 2017 - 01:34 AM.

Ganrich

Ganrich

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1146 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'll always keep my fingers crossed that Obsidian finally snagged the green light on an Arcanum sequel.

swordsandroses

swordsandroses

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Perhaps the game Tim and Leonard are working on?

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

All I know is they need to come up with better names than "???". I mean who would buy a game called "???" - no-one, that's who!

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3696 posts

Eh, people bought VVVVVV.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2712 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Eh, people bought VVVVVV.

An awesome soundtrack can overcome a lot of problems.

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 719 posts

I'll always keep my fingers crossed that Obsidian finally snagged the green light on an Arcanum sequel.

My feeling is that it's a spiritual successor to an Arcanum or Arcanum/Fallout hybrid. Pretty sure it's been mentioned to be a new IP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users