Political Ocean's 11

Amentep

Why is that different than when you do it? Sort of labouring it to death at this point.

Huh? The difference is you guys milling about nodding to each other how TRIGGERS should totally be on everything. But I do gotta give props to the moving goal posts of those who try to equate it with nutritional labels and warning signs. *nodnodnod*

But I guess we cant really quantify anything. Someone is simply TRIGGERED when they tell you theyre TRIGGERED! And the world better deal with it. :shrugz:

So where were we? Oh yeah, that Trump, what a dummi!

Don't think I have ever said anything about trigger warnings needing to be on everything. I am indifferent to them as they rightly don't affect me, but yet some people have hair up their ass over it.

I believe the nutritional labels is just similar in that it is information for those that care and those that don't can ignore it.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I mean, what kind of mod response would you expect from someone like that besides "boo hoo, man up you little bitch"?

Well, actually, flaming and trolling is allowed against normal users, as per the rules (as the anti-trolling rule very specifically says that trolling is only disallowed against other game companies, employees, and moderators...and the anti-harassment rule is too limited to cover flaming), so actually, that literally does seem to be the prescribed response. An interesting approach for a game dev's forums - I have not seen its like anywhere else in the industry. It certainly has its pros, but uh, it also has its cons, as you can see.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Not that it makes him a bad moderator....

I dunno, would you feel comfortable complaining to a guy about someone being mean to you on an internet forum (which is basically what the report function is for), when that someone thinks legitimate psychological trauma is something to be dismissed with derisive laughter? I mean, what kind of mod response would you expect from someone like that besides "boo hoo, man up you little bitch"?

(Not that I actually have a problem with the guy on the mod team, he's way too lazy to ever actually do anything legitimately harmful by misusing his powers. Or, y'know, his job.)

When reports are made, even in a forum where any particular forum level mod is a mod, the entire team sees it, including the global mods.  So regardless of any issue an individual poster might have with any individual mod, one should feel comfortable reporting a post knowing that many eyes of people with many different perspectives will review the report.

I mean, what kind of mod response would you expect from someone like that besides "boo hoo, man up you little bitch"?

Well, actually, flaming and trolling is allowed against normal users, as per the rules (as the anti-trolling rule very specifically says that trolling is only disallowed against other game companies, employees, and moderators...and the anti-harassment rule is too limited to cover flaming), so actually, that literally does seem to be the prescribed response. An interesting approach for a game dev's forums - I have not seen its like anywhere else in the industry. It certainly has its pros, but uh, it also has its cons, as you can see.

As far as I know flaming and trolling isn't allowed against normal users either.  Just because the language in the trolling section doesn't specifically forbid it doesn't mean it'd be allowed (although I'd argue its already covered under 'harassment' - "We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ." - or the general rule - "In general, our guidelines are based on the fundamentals of common sense, respect and tolerance.").  That said, what one person feels is trolling, flaming or harassment may not appear as such to someone who isn't involved in the situation or who views it with a charitable eye.  Again reporting posts is generally the best way to approach issues as it will be seen by multiple people with a consensus being formed.

Also I think WoT - by its nature - is given somewhat more latitude to be conversational than the game-specific forums.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As far as I know flaming and trolling isn't allowed against normal users either.  Just because the language in the trolling section doesn't specifically forbid it doesn't mean it'd be allowed (although I'd argue its already covered under 'harassment' - "We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ." - or the general rule - "In general, our guidelines are based on the fundamentals of common sense, respect and tolerance.").

Yeah, the fact that I can repeatedly and unironically call anyone I want a "nazi" for any particular reason that I like seems to call all of that into question a little. Unless I'm not allowed to do that, in which case that makes me question why Volourn has been allowed to do just exactly that over the years. Maybe it's his cuddly and lovable personality that lets everyone know it's all just a joke? I don't have that going for me, so I could see that being it.

On a positive note, hopefully this total derailment of the previous total derailment will help us get off of the other total derailment and back into the charitable meeting of minds that is politics.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Huh? The difference is you guys milling about nodding to each other how TRIGGERS should totally be on everything. But I do gotta give props to the moving goal posts of those who try to equate it with nutritional labels and warning signs. *nodnodnod*

But I guess we cant really quantify anything. Someone is simply TRIGGERED when they tell you theyre TRIGGERED! And the world better deal with it. :shrugz:

So where were we? Oh yeah, that Trump, what a dummi!

Trump is maybe the first president in history to be a true figurehead of the people. So fitting in a modern age where pettiness has run amok.
  • Like 1

is censorship creeping in here? Classic SJW :)

poor Gfted just shattered someone's safe space it seems. TRIGGERED!

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

is censorship creeping in here? Classic SJW :)

poor Gfted just shattered someone's safe space it seems. TRIGGERED!

Are you triggered by my triggering? TRIGGERED!

;)

TRIGGERED.

94sWlGt.png

• Like 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

*groan*

If I had a dime every time someone busted out the "hes trolling" shtick....Id have like half a mason jar full of dimes. I haven't attacked anyone here (or off screen) and just because some choose to apply their own interpretations, that don't make it true. :no:

But as usual, the astute wisdom of Amentep & 213374U see to the questions I'm asking. Where is the line? Why is your pain more valid than 's pain?

Come on, don't read The Sun. Not even the **** are real

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

their struggle is real! Unlike rest of us. For example my mom died on Christmas due to cancer. So no-one ever talk about Christmas or cancer here please!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Heh, Rockstar was on to something when they said sarcasm is the blight of the age.

Heh, Rockstar was on to something when they said sarcasm is the blight of the age.

If its reaction to me - I wish :/

Come on, don't read The Sun. Not even the **** are real

They don't even have asterisks at all any more.

First step on the slippery slope to the Islamization of the UK. But really, Thought it was just out of print and still on their website, but turns out that's gone as well.

It very much is. I see people who can really only convey ideas, thoughts, and opinions in the form of sarcasm meant to insinuate they disagree with a particular thing.

It should be one rhetorical tool that is sought to be used well, not a mode of being.

in question of that sun article and not that I am fun of Putin but:

"He can be a genius mathematician, a brilliant musician or a soldier, a man who can fight without fear, compassion, regret or pain.

"As you understand, humanity can enter, and most likely it will in the near future, a very difficult and very responsible period of its existence.

"What I have just described might be worse than a nuclear bomb."

The autocrat warned that world leaders must agree on regulations to control the creation of mass-killing super soldiers.

He said: "When we do something, whatever we do, I want to reiterate it again - we must never forget about the ethical foundations of our work."

I don't know but those citations does not sound that crazy, maybe that nuke stuff overblown but still. I mean if you read this without contect would you be surprised if it would be qotation from any other politician? There is kinda deep ethical dilema in genetic modifications of humans

On a positive note, hopefully this total derailment of the previous total derailment will help us get off of the other total derailment and back into the charitable meeting of minds that is politics.

You mean Trump and guns? Because this thread usually is all about Trump and guns. Kinda refreshing to read something else in here for a change.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Guys, Putin is talking about robots while The Sun article sounds makes it sound like he is talking about flesh and blood soldiers. He has spoken that we should be careful with AI and it's a real thing to be concerned about.

edit: Okay, he does mention genetic modification, but we aren't anywhere near that level of sophistication yet. Not to mention that said genetically manipulated person might not want to be a soldier in the first place.

Edited by smjjames

You mean Trump and guns? Because this thread usually is all about Trump and guns. Kinda refreshing to read something else in here for a change.

Heh, we partially migrated guns to the TV thread.

On the previous Trump topic though, I saw the interview with La David Johnson's widow and... I'm pretty convinced that Trump in this case is about as completely in the right as he can be. I doubt there was anything Trump could have said that she would not have taken badly- about the worst that can be said about Trump in this instance is that his tweeting lacked class but that was always lose/ lose since if he said nothing it would be taken as agreement.

And for one of the other things she brought up; I'm not exactly the most pro US armed forces guy here but they were absolutely correct not to let her see her husband's body in the circumstances, harsh as that may seem and no matter how much she thought she wanted to see it. It would have been grossly irresponsible to allow her to.

2 days in Niger in summer would have some unpleasant results on a body quite apart from any injuries- and that's the sad reality of it. She would not want to see that.