Germany Decides !

BruceVC

I wonder what the record is (non-monarch) for length of ruling a modern European country. Putin and Merkel have to be close, if not haviing set the record already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-ruling_non-royal_national_leaders_since_1900

almost all are from Africa, rest from commies ruled states

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I wonder what the record is (non-monarch) for length of ruling a modern European country. Putin and Merkel have to be close, if not haviing set the record already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-ruling_non-royal_national_leaders_since_1900

Sure. Except from Franco, Salazar, Díaz, Trujillo...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Diaz and Trujillo are not from Europe...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And?

well he asked about EUROPEAN ones, thats why I pointed that our, don't be touchy

According to some folks, Germany is pretty much Africa now. :p

not yet, you need to try harder my friend :)

Right, right. So:

- "commies": Enver Hoxha, Tito, Todor Zhivkov, János Kádár, Stalin* -- rest don't count because you shifted the goalposts to admit only European countries

- non-commies: Éamon de Valera, Salazar, Franco, Urho Kekkonen

So, 4 (5 if you count the Soviet Union as being in Europe) commies vs... 4 non-commies.

Still your original statement that "almost all are [...] commies" is bull.

Care to try again?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Right, right. So:

- "commies": Enver Hoxha, Tito, Todor Zhivkov, János Kádár, Stalin* -- rest don't count because you shifted the goalposts to admit only European countries

- non-commies: Éamon de Valera, Salazar, Franco, Urho Kekkonen

So, 4 (5 if you count the Soviet Union as being in Europe) commies vs... 4 non-commies.

Still your original statement that "almost all are [...] commies" is bull.

Care to try again?

try what, what is bull? Seems like you are trying to be edgy where there is no need for it  :shrugz:

try what, what is bull? Seems like you are trying to be edgy where there is no need for it  :shrugz:

So calling people on their bs is now "being edgy". Okie dokie. Looks like I need to get with the times.

c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_470.gif

• Like 1

And?

well he asked about EUROPEAN ones, thats why I pointed that our, don't be touchy

I just assumed he wasn't so stupid as to not be able to find the first European going down the list. Silly me. Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

To be fair, my elite numbers man, Gfted1 did say European. So your objections are partially correct but accusing chilloutman of moving the goalpost to only include European isn't right.

Well, the initial objection is pointless, a superset of the data asked for was given and was a problem...for some reason.

To be fair, my elite numbers man, Gfted1 did say European. So your objections are partially correct but accusing chilloutman of moving the goalpost to only include European isn't right.

Yep. And that makes sense, except that Chilloutman's objection to the larger list was that Africans in the list don't count (even though Africa isn't in Europe and Europe isn't Africa despite what some would have you believe). Which is why I added some non-European, non-African examples to the reply. The African reference only makes sense if Chilloutman was expanding the scope to the whole world... except Africa.

Anyway, let's see if I can fix up a statement we can all agree on to get this trainwreck back on track:

"almost all are commies, except those who aren't"

Right?

well, since its really not clear to you will try to explain.

1) First there was this 'question':

2) Where Malcador send list of List of longest-ruling non-royal national leaders since 1900 of whole world\

to which I pointed that:

3) to which 213374U replied (and I must say I chukled as he again provided examples of non-europeans)

and I am the called bull?

if you want to be the clever one, point out those which are on list and actually are relevant:

Éamon de Valera

Urho Kekkonen

nah, whatever

Edited by Chilloutman

Whoa! I guess Merkel's 20 years (at the end of this term) are nothing in comparison.

Not to rain on your parade there but Merkel's chancellor since 2005. She might get 16 years at best, assuming Jamaica works out (and that'll be fun with the FDP and the Greens in the same government). Kohl also had 16 years, so that's not even a record for Germany. :)

And I suppose Tage Erlander qualifies as the longest continously serving, democratically elected leader in Europe post-WW2.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2) Where Malcador send list of List of longest-ruling non-royal national leaders since 1900 of whole world\

to which I pointed that:

3) to which 213374U replied (and I must say I chukled as he again provided examples of non-europeans)

if you want to be the clever one, point out those which are on list and actually are relevant:

Éamon de Valera

Urho Kekkonen

nah, whatever

Why is Franco not relevant ?

to which I pointed that:

Éamon de Valera

Urho Kekkonen

nah, whatever

Why is Franco not relevant ?

Well since he was kinda dictator as his opposed commies I mentioned previously he doesn't sound that relevant to me when compared to democratically elected leaders but I never stated he si not from Europe. Count him in if you want, no problem for me

Well Gfted1 didn't restrict it to elected leaders of countries.

I know but as he mentioned non-monarch I kinda pud that connection in, he didn't say he don't want commie dictators either. Pardon me if it was far fetched expectation