RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

these days I buy like 3 games per year, but got 500 hours in Stellaris and 300 hours in Total War: Warhammer, quite some time in Darkest Dungeon. So yeah, I like games which holds me on them for prolonged amount of time instead of tons of games with lifespan of a fruit fly

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

As long as I spent $1 per hour I am content.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In the past 3 years combined I only have 999 hours worth of playtime for 274 games and 30 hours logged into my PS4 lol

I don't know if people really only stay on one game per year though, that's a bit hard to believe. Usually when a facebook friend tells me they do this, I see them on Steam playing games 24/7 lol

My problem is short 4-10 hour games that I beat too quickly.

With all respect, that's crazy man... almost 100 games per year? You can't remember anything from that big pile of stuff thrown at your brain fro more than few minutes...

Quality over Quantity here all year long, Playing 1 game per month or two makes me remember everything that happened in my games for dozens of years...

No offense taken, I get what you're saying.

I'd like to call what I have quality though. Most of the games I have were gifts, and none of them are the cheap $0.99 RPG maker games that alotta Steam users buy just to get their library count up. They are often either gifts or I just usually wait to buy like 25 more expensive games on Steam's seasonal sale.

I have pre-ordered some but usually don't go above the $20 mark when I do. That seems to be the sweetspot for the good indies out there.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

At this point I think a spiritual successor through crowdfunding would be the best way to go about it. I would hate to have a publisher attached to what essentially is a niche game trying to modernize it or make it more like something that sells. I already hate SquareEnix for doing that to Deus Ex.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

To be honest, prefer games with the lifespan of the fruit fly. Mind you that I have games like Dragon's Dogma, The Witcher 3, Pillars Of Eternity, Skyrim etc so I do have a few of those "filler" games. I get bored easily and quickly so I like games that are quick to finish to move on to the next.

That's all preference though. I think alot of people assume that an 4-hour game could never hold the depth of a 200 hour game which isn't true, it all depends on how good the story-writing is, emotional atmospherics, ending, so on. I tend to find alot of quality indies out there that don't sell well but are quite the gems.. Steam has alot of these such games, people never give them a chance or are playing other games.

But then again, quality is arguable on any grounds. I pre-purchased Hob and was lucky enough to play it for a few at a friend's house (he's a YouTuber). I noticed that Torchlight players are bashing it already without playing it simply because it's not Torchlight 3 lol Hob seems to be a more original game which I give it credit for, while Torchlight is the basic Diablo-clone. So it's getting hate.

I have a lot of friends on Steam, every one of them who played The Witcher 3 for 200 hours, also put hundreds of hours into other games in the same year... so they have 3,000 hours at least per year. That's alot of gaming.

To me legth doesn't equal quality... and I certainly am not the guy who says "I won't pay xx.xx for a game that's only xx amount of hours" if a game is 1 hour but has replay value and sells for $20.00 I don't mind as long as it has a damn good story or point to it and doesn't waste my time. The Stanley Parable was such a game, you can beat it in 15 minutes on average but there is so mich you can do when replaying it different ways.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Official confirmation that there will be no more single player related anything for ME:A

Since the release of Mass Effect™: Andromeda, we’ve worked hard to address feedback from our community. From improving animations to expanding customization options, we looked to respond to your concerns, and build on what you loved.

With each patch, you let us know we were heading in the right direction, and we're grateful to everyone who joined us on this journey. We're proud of what we created, and we hope you enjoyed it as well.

Early in development, we decided to focus Mass Effect: Andromeda’s story on the Pathfinder, the exploration of the Andromeda galaxy, and the conflict with the Archon. The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions and we will continue to tell stories in the Andromeda Galaxy through our upcoming comics and novels, including the fate of the quarian ark.

Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day.

We appreciate all the millions of people who came with us to the Andromeda galaxy. We hope to see you again in the Mass Effect universe.

The Mass Effect Andromeda Team

Free games updated 3/4/21

Kind of a kick in the teeth for their fans, I'd imagine. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

ME:A = the new GTA... coincidence? Of course not but at least GTA is a fun open world -__-

A GTA in the ME universe might be fun. Hijack frigates, bang Asari hookers, etc.

• Like 1

If it were successful they'd still be doing dlc and associated patching. Completely unsurprising that nothing else is coming though given that the studio that made it is goneburger- and from EA's pov they'd be unlikely to turn perception around whatever they did at this point. Looks like one of the more disastrous releases in recent history perhaps rescued somewhat by its preorders.

Origin has a 7 day return policy on preorders. Don't know how long you can play over that week before they decide you're taking the mick asking for a refund, but it's probably longer than steam's 2 hours.

Origin's "Great Game guarantee" allows for refunds for a week provided you haven't launched the game. If you have, it's only 24 hours (72 for tech-related problems). I know because I considered refunding the POS, and come think of it, Inquisition before it.

Reassuring, innit?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm fairly sure, that if not for pre-orders, it would bomb. Also I believe Origin does not have the same return policy as Steam, so I doubt many ppl got refunds

Origin had a refund policy in place long before steam finally caved into market pressure and added one themselves.

At this point I think a spiritual successor through crowdfunding would be the best way to go about it. I would hate to have a publisher attached to what essentially is a niche game trying to modernize it or make it more like something that sells. I already hate SquareEnix for doing that to Deus Ex.

Crowdfunding wouldn't come close to covering what the original cost to make though. Can't say I'd be too enthused at the idea. The game needs some real dollars thrown behind it.

I'm fairly sure, that if not for pre-orders, it would bomb. Also I believe Origin does not have the same return policy as Steam, so I doubt many ppl got refunds

Origin had a refund policy in place long before steam finally caved into market pressure and added one themselves.

Steam was legally required to institute a refund policy to continue selling in some areas- here for example. If it were just up to market pressure, well, market pressure hasn't done much to improve, say, steam's dreadful support system nor to stop them selling broken/ shovelware/ abandoned games. Their market position is too dominant.

• Like 5

that... does not say anything

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Well for some that is enough to turn them off, people dislike Relic for one reason or another.

Crowdfunding wouldn't come close to covering what the original cost to make though. Can't say I'd be too enthused at the idea. The game needs some real dollars thrown behind it.

I'm interested in what your sources are; you sound very sure, please share if you can.

I obviously don't expect a game at the same level; specially since voice acting would be a big expense. But that's why I said a spiritual successor and not a sequel. I'd be fine even if it was an indie management game  where you have to balance the emotional state of your sources, establish new ones and are pressured to find particular pieces of information all while trying to avoid detection...Great, now I want to play that game and its not even being made.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif