Politics 2017 part V

Amentep

Comey was NOT honest or forthright in Clinton emails. The reason why he is getting sacked is because of his biased actions. His first major blow was when he said Clinton did NOT send classified information and admitted she did use an unauthorized server but wouldn't punish her bc there I was no 'intent" to save Clinton'son's ass but WikiLeaks proved with actual untampered emails. Second blow was when he tried to save his image by shortly before elections that "new" stuff came up and was reopening the investigation on Clinton with the emails.

He played the game and ended up tarnishing his reputation by being biased and protecting Clinton. When it was obvious to the public that the FBI was showing different standards to her than others in govt for sharing an using unauthorized servers, he tried to save his ass with the reopening.

Comey was viewed as honest and forthright BEFORE the emails thing, but tarnished his reputation and his act of biased special treatment towards a Democrats, when your supposed to keep both parties in check, how trustworthy can he be so I agree he needs to go.

complete mischaracterization.  for instance, comey noted how clinton Did send multiple classified emails from her private server and he observed how clinton actions were "extremely careless."  in fact, comey went out of his way to express the brobdingnagian scope o' clinton fumbduckery and how her actions regarding handling o' sensitive information were unique in his experience.  

might as well simple repost

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87025-us-election-2016-part-ii/?p=1825582

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87025-us-election-2016-part-ii/?p=1825704

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87025-us-election-2016-part-ii/?p=1826111

nobody had ever been prosecuted under the statute for gross negligence.  doing so in clinton's situation woulda' proved extreme difficult.  so comey observes how while no reasonable prosecutor would attempt to pursue criminal charges under the statute, clinton's actions were irresponsible to a significant degree.  he pointed out how clinton genuine claimed an inability to distinguish classified documents in spite o' the big "C" on such items. comey were doing everything he could to express the magnitude o' clinton's error, but all some folks wanted were criminal charges. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So this leads us back to this. Propagating dogmatic zealotry in a rising tide of nationalistic/nativist populism in a non-homogeneous country is bad. Mob majority rule at the expense of minority rights is very bad no matter where in the world.

What you described is nothing like nationalist populism in the US, and any comparison is ridiculous. Get back to me when someone gets charged with blasphemy.

Investigation into Trump's campaign is headed by the Justice Department, not the FBI, and there's a grand jury seated, which wasn't done in Clinton's whitewash: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politics/grand-jury-fbi-russia/index.html

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I have no issue with Comey as far as his handling of the Clinton and Russia thing go. The FBI is a non political entity and he is in a terrible position when he's dragged into the political arena. But I do have a big problem with this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-wants-access-to-internet-browser-history-without-a-warrant-in-terrorism-and-spy-cases/2016/06/06/2d257328-2c0d-11e6-9de3-6e6e7a14000c_story.html?utm_term=.f71573a12f25

As we heard in the great repository of political wisdom, Star Wars, "All who have power fear to lose it." That's only half of it though. The other half should be "All who have power want more". I'm even more distressed the response from the Senate wasn't "No f---g way".

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's funny, I don't recall the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Bill Clinton fired the FBI director in '93. Of course the FBI had taken an interest in Clinton's real estate dealings much the same way as they have the Trump/Russia connections. The difference is Clinton (a Democrat) does it and no one (in the media) complains. Trump (a sort of Republican) does it and it's the second coming of Nixon.

I keep telling you guys there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between the Republicrats and the Democans. Only in who the cheerleaders cheer for.

Don't blame me I voted for Johnson.

Watching old news clips about Bill Clinton firing William Sessions, gives indication that was much better orchestrated firing and reason that was given didn't go against what Clinton had in past said about Sessions. Also Clinton was more popular when he did his move than Trump has ever been. Meaning that it shows that Clinton was much better in political games than Trump and he was quite successful in putting Sessions in bad light and himself in good light.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-clinton-fired-fbi-director-william-sessions-july/story?id=47323746

So this leads us back to this. Propagating dogmatic zealotry in a rising tide of nationalistic/nativist populism in a non-homogeneous country is bad. Mob majority rule at the expense of minority rights is very bad no matter where in the world.

What you described is nothing like nationalist populism in the US, and any comparison is ridiculous. Get back to me when someone gets charged with blasphemy.

Investigation into Trump's campaign is headed by the Justice Department, not the FBI, and there's a grand jury seated, which wasn't done in Clinton's whitewash: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politics/grand-jury-fbi-russia/index.html

Right, so a demagogue running on nativist populism wasn't just elected to be President of the United States of America?

Hey look -- Trump just signed a (I admit, clumsily put together) Executive Order that bars restrictions for religious institutions to engage in politics under the guise of free speech and religious liberty.

Not saying it's going to happen, but weeds start small, and before you know it...Your entire garden is overrun with them.

Re: Grand Jury subpeonas and federal criminal investigations. You have no idea how they work, do you?

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

McConnell rejecting calls for a special prosecutor because it would just "impede" the investigation. As opposed to firing the guy in charge of probably the most major one of those investigations...

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Right, so a demagogue running on nativist populism wasn't just elected to be President of the United States of America?

Like Obama wasn't a demagogue.

Hey look -- Trump just signed a (I admit, clumsily put together) Executive Order that bars restrictions for religious institutions to engage in politics under the guise of free speech and religious liberty.

Not saying it's going to happen, but weeds start small, and before you know it...Your entire garden is overrun with them.

Yes, just like Indonesia, everything's a slippery slope.

Re: Grand Jury subpeonas and federal criminal investigations. You have no idea how they work, do you?

A much better idea than you do apparently.

schumer-comey.jpg

Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 2

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

listening to spicer pressers is always surreal.  sarah huckabee sanders (we continue to leave off the sanders) were a nice change o' pace, but equal perplexing.

is 2017 and alternative facts is the norm.  even so, while we were not surprised to hear the claim, we were disappointed when the wh insisted the rank and file within the fbi had lost confidence in comey.  is an easy claim to make 'cause is not easily proven or disproven, but our experience is vast different.  we got admitted limited exposure to fbi, but what feedback we has received has been overwhelming and near universal positive when folks in the bureau speak o' comey. probable the chief reason we feel bad 'bout comey firing is 'cause the bureau folks we know is gonna be disappointed to see comey leave.  from our pov, the director were respected by those working for him. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If a guy is deported 15 times, that shows a major problem with how both the US and Mexico are handling these repeat offenders. A wall isn't going to stop a person like that, instead we need an effective justice system that works in conjunction with Mexico.

edit: Think of it this way, if the guy was not illegal, but had simply been in an out of jail 15 times over the last 15 years, is it any less tragic? 

Edited by Hurlshot

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/inside-trump%E2%80%99s-anger-and-impatience-%E2%80%94-and-his-sudden-decision-to-fire-comey/ar-BBAZWM9?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartandhp

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-comey-decision-idUSKBN1862WP

if trump were livid 'bout comey not stopping press leaks, the last couple days will have the chief executive apoplectic.  

given the negative backlash resulting from the firing o' comey, we assume the new fbi director is gonna need be somebody beyond reproach to avoid seeming impropriety.  is hard to imagine such a candidate being any less problematic for trump.

HA! Good Fun!

He'd fire all Congress if he could.

"The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us."

On a side note, I'm a bit concerned with how powerfully the phrase 'alternative facts' has entered everyone's daily lexicon. The more casually it's used, the more these flat-out lies are associated unconsciously with the word facts, both giving value to lies that they should not possess as well as decreasing value of anything that is described as an actual fact.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/inside-trump%E2%80%99s-anger-and-impatience-%E2%80%94-and-his-sudden-decision-to-fire-comey/ar-BBAZWM9?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartandhp

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-comey-decision-idUSKBN1862WP

if trump were livid 'bout comey not stopping press leaks, the last couple days will have the chief executive apoplectic.  

given the negative backlash resulting from the firing o' comey, we assume the new fbi director is gonna need be somebody beyond reproach to avoid seeming impropriety.  is hard to imagine such a candidate being any less problematic for trump.

HA! Good Fun!

This is pretty telling. 30 sources. Trump's got his work cut out for him if he wants to patch those leaks.

“He wasn’t doing a good job,” Trump told reporters Wednesday. “Very simple. He wasn’t doing a good job.”

But the private accounts of more than 30 officials at the White House, the Justice Department, the FBI and on Capitol Hill, as well as Trump confidants and other senior Republicans, paint a conflicting narrative centered on the president’s brewing personal animus toward Comey. Many of those interviewed spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to candidly discuss internal deliberations.

Trump was angry that Comey would not support his baseless claim that President Barack Obama had his campaign offices wiretapped. Trump was frustrated when Comey revealed in Senate testimony the breadth of the counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s effort to sway the 2016 U.S. presidential election. And he fumed that Comey was giving too much attention to the Russia probe and not enough to investigating leaks to journalists.
One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.”

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hahaha, what a ****show over someone who would've been fired either way no matter the election outcome.

I do hope that there is some serious academic research in archiving the opinions of experts, how the news was portrayed, how congress motivated their vote during the reign of Trump. A good perspective is needed.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

given the negative backlash resulting from the firing o' comey, we assume the new fbi director is gonna need be somebody beyond reproach to avoid seeming impropriety

...Avoiding impropriety? This is Trump we're talking about: I'll be surprised if he doesn't initially try one of his sons, Michael Flynn, Alex Jones, or even Putin himself.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

given the negative backlash resulting from the firing o' comey, we assume the new fbi director is gonna need be somebody beyond reproach to avoid seeming impropriety

...Avoiding impropriety? This is Trump we're talking about: I'll be surprised if he doesn't initially try one of his sons, Michael Flynn, Alex Jones, or even Putin himself.

My money is on Guliani or the ex-Sheriff from Milwaukee. In truth either would be qualified and might do good service in the position but I can't say either would be entirely independent. I can almost guarantee is won't be the deputy director McCabe. In fact he should probably be packing his desk right about now. Not saying he should be gone... but he almost certainly will be. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This endless impeachment talk is getting really tiresome. This used to be a word never heard outside the beltway of Sodom-on-the-Potomac. The only two times it's been used has been for Presidents who did violate the law but removal from office would have been excessive.The one time it would have been appropriate the President resigned and fled to California. But since Clinton it gets rolled out after every single election by the opposition party because they are not happy with how the election turned out. And it is getting very old. 

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article149758184.html

Thomas Sowell

My money is on Guliani or the ex-Sheriff from Milwaukee. In truth either would be qualified and might do good service in the position but I can't say either would be entirely independent. I can almost guarantee is won't be the deputy director McCabe. In fact he should probably be packing his desk right about now. Not saying he should be gone... but he almost certainly will be.

Giuliani might not be in it, too blatant a yes man for the optics.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Giuliani might not be in it, too blatant a yes man for the optics.

True. But I don't think Trump will concern himself over optics. I think he rewards loyalty even at the expense of ability. Not saying Guliani does not have that though. He does come from a law enforcement background. And I can't think of anyone else in Trumps inner circle that is more qualified. If that ends up mattering. There have been purely political appointments to that post. Webster from the Carter years comes to mind. Even Comey was a little thin on Law Enforcement cred. I guess we're long gone from the days when the Bureau promoted from within. Everything is political now. That's why it's such a damned mess!

Thomas Sowell

Well guess we can be glad if it's anyome but Joe Arpaio :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Alex Jones in charge of the FBI would be awesome.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Alex Jones in charge of the FBI would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D10mHOqSfd8

The music, Joe's reaction, everything.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy