UK Terror Attack

BruceVC

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-security-photographer-idUSKBN16T1Y5?il=0

5 dead and 40 wounded, its a high number for this type of attack. The UK should consider arming all there policenmen 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

As a Brit, I'm surprised they actually went after a meaningful target for once (the Houses of Parliament) rather than just doing their usual thing of killing as many innocents as possible. 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

No

Why not? Any policeman or government person involved in protecting institutions like the Houses of Parliament needs to be armed, what possible reason would you object to this?

One policeman died because he attempted to rugby tackle this terrorist who was armed with knives, you dont attempt to peacefully subdue an armed terrorist . You shoot him, why is this a problem ?

The mayor of London agrees

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said: "My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones and to everyone who has been affected," he said, paying tribute to the emergency services.
He announced the deployment of additional armed officers on the streets of the British capital. "We stand together in the face of those who would seek to harm us and destroy our way of life," he added. "Londoners will never be cowed by terrorism."

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

John Milton 

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

*sigh* Same old, same old. Wake me up when there's actually countermeasures taken that doesn't involve strenghtening the police state.

Thoughts to the victims.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

How can terrorists win? How can they destroy our way of life?

Terrorists can not win through military means. They are too few. They do not posses the necessary resources, manpower, or, in most cases, even skill.

Terrorists can not win through ideology. They are extremists, they are few, and they are all too aware of this. They know they can not convince us of their extreme beliefs. After all, they do find it necessary to resort to violence.

And indeed, in theory, terrorists should have no chance at ever archiving anything. The number of people who follow them is incredibly small, so is the number of deaths they cause (especially in comparison to other causes). They should, in theory, play no role in our lives whatsoever. They should be but a footnote of society.

But they do. One might even argue that the terrorists have already won. So, how could this happen? How could a handful of extremists take entire countries, societies, the entire western world in their tight and bloody grip? How is it possible for them to archive anything?

The sad truth that we have to face is, that it isn't. The terrorists themselves can not win. It is simply impossible; nothing about this fact will ever change. But the cruel reality is, that they don't have to win. It is us who do their work.

No, the terrorists can not kill every one of us. But they can make us fear that. And when we do, we forget about the values that we want to protect.

No more privacy, terrorists are everywhere, and thus is the state. No more peace, the terrorists have guns, ours must be bigger. No more solidarity, those things you are saying are the same the terrorists shout. No more freedom, those looks you have are those of a terrorist. No more rights, we can not have those terrorists sympathisers here. Gone are the self evident truths. Those were naive. Evil is everywhere. Evil has to be fought. It has to be exterminated. It has to be exterminated by us. And better get five innocents to much than to let one get away. Down with those who hate us, now we hate back.

And thus, you do everything in your power to fight the terrorists.

And then you see that you have archived, what they fought for in a struggle doomed to fail: you destroyed your way of life. Your country. Your society. The entire western world.

And thus, the terrorists win.

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

No

Why not? Any policeman or government person involved in protecting institutions like the Houses of Parliament needs to be armed, what possible reason would you object to this?

Answered that above

And everybody knows

If only there were more muslims on TV, then this never would have happened.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ghost of Guy Fawkes, I banish thee, Be gone!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There actually are plenty of muslims on TV in the UK. Way more than in the US, where they do rather tend to be trotted out as the terrorist-du-jour.

Was a reference to an actor addressing UK parliament about needing more muslims on TV otherwise they will join ISIS or something.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

No more privacy, terrorists are everywhere, and thus is the state. No more peace, the terrorists have guns, ours must be bigger. No more solidarity, those things you are saying are the same the terrorists shout. No more freedom, those looks you have are those of a terrorist. No more rights, we can not have those terrorists sympathisers here. Gone are the self evident truths. Those were naive. Evil is everywhere. Evil has to be fought. It has to be exterminated. It has to be exterminated by us. And better get five innocents to much than to let one get away. Down with those who hate us, now we hate back.

And then you see that you have archived, what they fought for in a struggle doomed to fail: you destroyed your way of life. Your country. Your society. The entire western world.

This is complete nonsense, how have we destroyed our way of life by killing any armed terrorist?

No we need more armed policemen in the UK, the UK is use to dealing with terrorism. In the 1970's and 1980's  they dealt with terrorism from the IRA  and now its Islamic Extremism

Im fine if you think addressing this type of threat is  " somehow destroying the entire Western world " but  most of us are very supportive of eradicating this threat, we stand for tolerance and Democracy but that doesnt mean we dont combat something like Islamic Extremism :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

How can terrorists win? How can they destroy our way of life?

Terrorists can not win through military means. They are too few. They do not posses the necessary resources, manpower, or, in most cases, even skill.

Terrorists can not win through ideology. They are extremists, they are few, and they are all too aware of this. They know they can not convince us of their extreme beliefs. After all, they do find it necessary to resort to violence.

And indeed, in theory, terrorists should have no chance at ever archiving anything. The number of people who follow them is incredibly small, so is the number of deaths they cause (especially in comparison to other causes). They should, in theory, play no role in our lives whatsoever. They should be but a footnote of society.

But they do. One might even argue that the terrorists have already won. So, how could this happen? How could a handful of extremists take entire countries, societies, the entire western world in their tight and bloody grip? How is it possible for them to archive anything?

The sad truth that we have to face is, that it isn't. The terrorists themselves can not win. It is simply impossible; nothing about this fact will ever change. But the cruel reality is, that they don't have to win. It is us who do their work.

No, the terrorists can not kill every one of us. But they can make us fear that. And when we do, we forget about the values that we want to protect.

Life is an eternal struggle with your inner and outer world. If you are not ready to defend what is dear to you when push comes to shove with the use of violence or threat of it, then you have already perished as a man. What do you think enforces the law of the land and the constitution? Is it some mystical thing that passes through the membrane of another existence? No, it is the thought, idea of it and the men willing to use violence and the threat of it that enforces it.

The muslim failure man did so according to his beliefs being completely righteous. He and others like him will fail as long there are men to put animals like him down. Make sure to foster such a society where such defending men flourish instead of focusing about deconstructing their societies or being confused but what a gender is, that way you do not need a mechanised, inorganic big brother police state watching your every step.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Seems to be plenty of men to put them down as is, Met, MI5, etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This is complete nonsense, how have we destroyed our way of life [by going against terrorism]?

-Constant surveillance of everyone through several secret services

-Rise of unreasonable and uneducated prejudice towards one specific religion

-As a result, (rising support for) unreasonable policies against members of said religion

-(rising support for) ignorance of humanistic values due to protectionist fears

-Rise of authoritarianism

-Rise of populism

-Rise of demagoguery

-Rise of nationalism

-Rise of protectionism

-Rise of isolationism

That's just of the top of my head

• Like 1

And everybody knows

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

"The worlds #1 J.K. Rowling fan-site" 

What the hell? :D

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

This is complete nonsense, how have we destroyed our way of life [by going against terrorism]?

-Constant surveillance of everyone through several secret services

-Rise of unreasonable and uneducated prejudice towards one specific religion

-As a result, (rising support for) unreasonable policies against members of said religion

-(rising support for) ignorance of humanistic values due to protectionist fears

-Rise of authoritarianism

-Rise of populism

-Rise of demagoguery

-Rise of nationalism

-Rise of protectionism

-Rise of isolationism

That's just of the top of my head

None of these automatically need to be relevant to any country that decides to be assertive in dealing with Islamic Extremism and this definitely applies to governments 

This is not a zero sum game, we can address terrorism without suddenly it  signaling  the perceived end of the Western world. How do you think the West has dealt with any ideological challenge over the last 100 years? Security gets increased but we dont lose our values around tolerance, equality and our belief in Democracy. We just make some societal and legal  adjustments around the threat that we face at the time

Its not complicated or difficult to implement 

John Milton 

Interesting site there :lol:

Kind of surprised this is a new thing, would have thought this would be a common tactic decades ago

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No ideas guys, I just looked for some English source :)