Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

List of Subclasses as we learn about them.

Subclasses Sub-classes

• Please log in to reply
535 replies to this topic

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4605 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Multi-classes do have names (although I do not believe all are known yet) and as far as I know multi-class is limited to 2 classes.

• PugPug likes this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2733 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Do multiclasses have names? Are we limited to 2 classes?

Yes on both counts.
  • PugPug likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4545 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Two classes seems like plenty, unless possibly you're solo-ing and want to use three.

PugPug

PugPug

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Two classes seems like plenty, unless possibly you're solo-ing and want to use three.

I agree. No triple combinations I want to try come to mind, and if there were any, you could play something very similar in style with only two.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7022 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

our main concern with sub classing and multiclassing is balance issues. in d&d, pre 3e multiclassing were advantageous. the level lag were not particular onerous pre 3e.  unfortunate, particular with bab and the importance o' caster levels, effective halving potential 3e level advancement were crippling save for in the case o' prestige class advancement or 1-2 levels o' X and 18 levels o' Y builds.  subclassing were, particular in 2e, broken.  a handful o' kits were so ridiculous overpowered we typical simple said no to anybody wanting to use kits in our campaigns.  were more fair to say no to everybody than to explain why bladesingers and priest o' mystra were verboten.

am thinking obsidian is aware o' the systemic power level issues o' multiclassing.  systemic issues will be addressed, and taken as a whole, multiclassing will not be more or less beneficial than single class.

am also confident subclasses won't be ridiculous over-the-top powerful.  am recalling iwd2 development and how conscious were some o' the same developers now working on poe: deadfire regarding munchkin kits.

the thing is, game busting exploits don't happen so much at the systemic level in these kinda number based games. like it or not, there is gonna be synergies o' spells and feats and class abilities which make for unexpected and excessive op builds.  to be able to adequate anticipate all such game busting builds strikes us as an improbable task for standard qa monkeys.  is simple too many possible combinations for qa to test, particular as the testers ain't necessarily hardcore build craftsman.

am concerned, but will wait for the beta before making alarmist chicken little predictions.

HA! Good Fun!

• Doppelschwert likes this

injurai

injurai

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Are balancing issues really that big of a deal? Sometimes it's nice to have harder or easier builds, and with the amount of choice it seems relatively easy to tailor your build as you go.

I'm more worried about about bugs than anything.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6579 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
We will have the beta. I will try out a lot of potentially OP stuff for myself and I guess a lot of players will do that, too. So maybe after the beta the most OP combos will get fixed.

Remember barb with Carnage + Jolting Toch from Azureith's Stiletto? Back in the days the spell strikings had no limit. Every crit triggered a Jolting Touch which got multiplied by Carnage. Enemy groups just got annihilated.

Ciphers' Draining Whip gave +3 (?) focus per hit, same with Carow Gholan. Devs forgot that blunderbusses do 6 hits with one shot, making it the no. 1 OP weapon for ciphers. Total focus overflow...

Similar stuff will happen in Deadfire I guess. :)

Edited by Boeroer, 08 September 2017 - 11:45 AM.

• PugPug likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7022 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Are balancing issues really that big of a deal?

yes.

is old and much-worn terrain, but josh has a pinned post at twitter/tumblr addressing sp game balance.

https://jesawyer.tum...layer-crpgs#_=_

HA! Good Fun!

ps is worth repeating, as we ain't stated in a while, but goal o' balance should be equivalent viability and usefulness as 'posed to equality o' power.  try and make everything equal power is doomed.  if a particular multi class is underpowered compared to a single class barbarian with sub class ______, we don't much care.  as long as the multi class feels equivalent useful during encounters, am satisfied. even so, can't have you-win builds w/o costs.  can't have classes/multi classes so weak that only the hardcore role-player or folks looking for a unique challenge will play such a build.  goat and underpowered is to be avoided.

Edited by Gromnir, 08 September 2017 - 02:00 PM.

injurai

injurai

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well I agree with everything there, but I read your post more as a concern with regards to "multi-classing done by Josh Sawyer™" in general. I have no doubt the corner cases will cause great in-balances in both beta and early launch builds. Probably in early expansion builds as well. But when it's all said and done, I would welcome the final "soft imbalances" that the system would still allow. Which in my mind leave some fun variation to be had.

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts

It's entirely fair to be concerned over multiclassing, I feel. It's a big minefield of balancing problems. Particularly if you add subclasses to the mix. We can hope and trust Obsidian to navigate it, but people with beta access need to be ready to try and break it in ungodly ways.

In 3e D&D, multiclassing is mostly an optimizer's thing. It can be very strong, but you need to optimize it. A casual player is more likely than not to create a weaksauce character who can't do anything particularly well. 4e has its hybrid thing, that I think has its own host of problems, and multiclass feats. Not sure about 5e. It has buffet-style multiclassing, but I think it also uses some scaling of key features, like in the last years of 3e.

injurai

injurai

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I have no idea which e would be most similar to deadfire, but deadfire seems to be flying by it's own colors.

Lampros

Lampros

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 347 posts

Is there a good summary of overall changes or new features in PoE 2 anywhere? Thanks in advance!

Wormerine

Wormerine

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is there a good summary of overall changes or new features in PoE 2 anywhere? Thanks in advance!

Have a gander at Q&A streams at Obsidian's YouTube channel and Deadfire fig updates. That's pretty much the main sources. Sometimes something extra will slip through Josh's twitter or tumbler but those are mostly minor details or further explanations.

PugPug

PugPug

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Have a gander at Q&A streams at Obsidian's YouTube channel and Deadfire fig updates. That's pretty much the main sources. Sometimes something extra will slip through Josh's twitter or tumbler but those are mostly minor details or further explanations.
I believe the answer to his question is actually "no." :)

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6998 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I can't believe they didn't call the Fighter/Wizard a Sword-ceror. 6_u

Missed opportunity.

• JerekKruger likes this

algroth

algroth